sangiro

IMPORTANT: Dropzone.com Management Announcement

Hell, I'd give a $20 to have my sig line back. Even though half of that was a misunderstanding.

Well the $20 weren't so altruistic !
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Dropzone.com charges in the vicinity of $700 - $1000 per advertiser per month. If you have 4 - 5 advertisers, that is right around $40,000/year.

If you have different numbers...and think that the site what wanted to be purchased by a corporation because of lesser numbers, and think that the corporation has your best interest in mind...and think that money doesn't talk, then there is an arguement.

My issues with dropzone are that it was started by skydivers for skydivers. It offered lots of cool stuff and now it doesn't so much. Part is because times have changed and technology changes with the times and part is just because the market is enticing (yes, it did sell because tracking a forum this large has to be exhausting on people doing this 100% of the time like Sangiro and partly because someone wanting to pay you to take it off you hands after this long of a run is a huge compliment).

In the end, there is better technology out there and ways for the forum to continue...I however never receive any responses from "the powers that be" when it comes to issues of how to resolve bandwidth and hosting costs. Yes, I do work with sites larger then this in both bandwidth and server space and the sites offer more! Are there plenty of people out there that promise this, yes, can 99% of those people deliver on their promises...no. So, yes, I do understand for not having received a response.

The bottom line is that this site can offer a hell of a lot more to is user base. Why don't they, it is a pain to run it and when it comes to hiring people...no, it's not worth hiring someone at the rate of $35,000 per year to run a site that makes $40,000 per year.
Ben Lee
www.CollegeSkydiving.com

To the creators of Dropzone.com:

There are very few successful websites out there that can gather and help this magnitude of a group of users in one place. That in itself means the site is a success.

Your work is greatly appreciated and I'm saying that as someone who has been in the sport for nearly 6 years when Dropzone.com was already a mainstay and standard in the industry.

Thank you guys and my criticisms are not focused at the creators like Sangiro, this is how things go and what is involved in entities that grow this large.

Either way...the info on this site better not ever be lost because it will never be recovered. There is a hell of a lot of history here and needs to be kept somewhere for the sake of the sport.

Ben
Ben Lee
www.CollegeSkydiving.com

As depressing as it sounds, I'm actually glad that it turned out the way it did with the reigns coming back to HH and the site not getting shut down. It;s unfortunate that we lost J however in the process. I wish him all the best in finding a great new opportunity that he rightly deserves.

There used to be an option on here back when the site started selling shirts that we could "buy a case" or "buy a jump ticket" for the owners of the site, namely Sangiro. I would welcome the return of said "donation" and gladly contribute what I can and when I can to help out.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

You can add my name to the ok list for some kind of annual fee to use and view dropzone.com

Blue Skies
Guy Wright

ditto

HH

You can add my name to the list so that anyone that wants to donate can.
One Jump Wonder

I also think dropzone.com should be preserved by any means; its role for the skydiver community is so very important. After having read the comments to date, I personally think some easy possibility to donate (e.g. paypal) would give any member the means to express gratitude. Keep up the good work

I also think dropzone.com should be preserved by any means; its role for the skydiver community is so very important. After having read the comments to date, I personally think some easy possibility to donate (e.g. paypal) would give any member the means to express gratitude. Keep up the good work

The 'Donations' link has always been here:

http://www.dropzone.com/pub/donations.shtml

The PayPal link DOES work. The CC does not.

Thanks for digging that up, I had no idea it was there. It probably would help people find it more easily if the link was more "visible". Maybe move it to one of the top menu icons.

Thanks guys for all of your hard work.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

Kryos passed away yesterday.

My Aunt Rita loved her cruise and sky diving buddies. It meant the world to her. We would meet for dinner and she would bring the photos and talk of her different adventures. She will be missed. I love you Aunt Rita.

Here is a link to Rita's funeral notice.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/phi...&pid=130187427

Rita Ippoliti took chances, lived life to the fullest. She was unconventional and certainly never politically correct. She was an inspiration. Sky Diver, Scuba Diver, Aero Plane Rider, writer, computer programmer, Lawyer. Loving daughter, sister, aunt, good friend. Rita’s book “Falling into Life” is a celebration of her life. Maybe you will be inspired to do something daring.

Blue Skies…

Dropzone.com charges in the vicinity of $700 - $1000 per advertiser per month. If you have 4 - 5 advertisers, that is right around $40,000/year.

If you have different numbers...and think that the site what wanted to be purchased by a corporation because of lesser numbers, and think that the corporation has your best interest in mind...and think that money doesn't talk, then there is an arguement.

My issues with dropzone are that it was started by skydivers for skydivers. It offered lots of cool stuff and now it doesn't so much. Part is because times have changed and technology changes with the times and part is just because the market is enticing (yes, it did sell because tracking a forum this large has to be exhausting on people doing this 100% of the time like Sangiro and partly because someone wanting to pay you to take it off you hands after this long of a run is a huge compliment).

In the end, there is better technology out there and ways for the forum to continue...I however never receive any responses from "the powers that be" when it comes to issues of how to resolve bandwidth and hosting costs. Yes, I do work with sites larger then this in both bandwidth and server space and the sites offer more! Are there plenty of people out there that promise this, yes, can 99% of those people deliver on their promises...no. So, yes, I do understand for not having received a response.

The bottom line is that this site can offer a hell of a lot more to is user base. Why don't they, it is a pain to run it and when it comes to hiring people...no, it's not worth hiring someone at the rate of $35,000 per year to run a site that makes $40,000 per year.

What??

My dropzone use to have a banner advertisement in the forums for a dropzone I was working at. The dropzone was charged $100 a month.
This was in 2005 and we paid for a pretty high impression rate. Are you saying that has gone up 600-900 a month more than it was four years ago??

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Hello,

I've never posted anything to Dropzone.com before because I'm just a friend of some skydivers. I visit their dropzones and watch, but I don't skydive myself.

I would be willing to contribute some subscription bucks if you go that route.

In addition, because my background is primarily that of a journalist, I would be willing to help with some free articles or free editing if you need it.

I can't afford to come out of pocket. But, if there is something you need that would just costs time and not money from me, feel free to contact me at my normal e-mail.

Cheers,

Hi everyone,

This is an important announcement regarding the management of Dropzone.com.

As you know Dropzone.com, together with Rockclimbing.com and BASEjumper.com, was purchased by NameMedia in May 2008 and was operated by them ever since. Unfortunately, as the economy worsened over the past few months it became financially unfeasible for NameMedia to continue to operate these sites, which brought them to a difficult choice - either find a suitable buyer fast or shut the sites down. The first option wasn't really possible in these times and the second, while obviously not desirable became more and more likely.

After much deliberation Daniel and I (D4DR Media) has agreed to resume the operational responsibilities for the sites. We've run these sites on a pretty tight budget before and we can do so again. We trust this arrangement will ensure the longevity of these online communities.

Practically this means we will resume all day-to-day management and operational responsibilities of Dropzone.com, while NameMedia will handle ad sales and marketing. NameMedia will remain the overall owner and we’ll retain a minority interest in the sites as a longer-term incentive for our efforts.

One very unfortunate side-effect of all of this is that NameMedia was unable to retain a full-time salaried publisher, so Jay Young (j_ung) was let go from his position by NameMedia on Friday. This was a pure business decision and in no way a reflection on Jay's performance. I think we can all agree that he did a terrific job and added a lot of value to the site during his time as publisher, and we will miss him in that role. Thank you for what you did here Jay.

For the immediate future though I will take his place as head-honcho until a longer-term solution is put in place.

This is a unique new period for Dropzone.com in the sense that we're really forced to hunker down and survive a tough economic climate, while preserving the character and value of Dropzone.com. We’re quite confident we can do that while continuing to have a load of fun at the same time!

Onwards. B|

nice

merry christmas ^^

http://www.skydiverinsurance.com/
Bravery is the capacity to perform properly
even when scared half to death.
http://www.skydiverinsurance.com/