j_ung

Server Problem: 1/15/2009

Some of you may have noticed that the site was down for some time today.

Gossamer Threads, our hosting company has given me a long and technical explanation that I mostly don't understand. Suffice to say that the server crashed and was taken offline for repairs for a little more than two hours.

I'm sure nobody is thrilled about this, but I assure you, I'm far less thrilled than you are.

More when I have it.

It's a mechanical device, subject to failure.

That's why we wear reserve chutes.

Maybe you need to get a reserve serverB|

Yes, I'm joking.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I was good with it, it was like getting a hurricane day off from school! (That's like a snow day for you Yankees :P)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Actually, I think you're spot on.
We have had "hot stand by" network devices for years.
Virtual servers are amazing these days.

Tell 'em to pony up and give us clustered, fail-over, or virtual servers!!!

Yes, but then they might tell us to "pony up" to pay for all the upgrades.:(
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I was good with it, it was like getting a hurricane day off from school! (That's like a snow day for you Yankees :P)

But with a day off you will have twice the amount of work to catch up on now...:P

I didn't mind too much that it was down. I was at work so I actully got work done...:D
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Here it is in a nutshell. Apparently, our server was the victim of an old bug that popped up once or twice in the distant past, but was never tracked down. This particular bug generates a database query for something that, basically, cannot exist. Efforts to track it and kill it are underway, as are discussions on how to protect against this in the future. Those discussions include additional servers.

Here it is in a nutshell. Apparently, our server was the victim of an old bug that popped up once or twice in the distant past, but was never tracked down. This particular bug generates a database query for something that, basically, cannot exist. Efforts to track it and kill it are underway, as are discussions on how to protect against this in the future. Those discussions include additional servers.

It's called a Herpes Simplex flare-up.... in non-technological terms.... It's incurable, but manageable... adding partners will not delay the onset of symptoms, it will only spread the bug.....

Yes, I am an IT dude ! ;-)
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

It's called a Herpes Simplex flare-up.... in non-technological terms.... It's incurable, but manageable... adding partners will not delay the onset of symptoms, it will only spread the bug.....

:D:D Thanks Ghost. I needed a laugh.

:D:D Thanks Ghost. I needed a laugh.

Heed the warning from Achmed "The Dead Terrorist" : SILENCE, I'll KILL YOU !

Good luck with the bug.... If you find a solution to " a query for something that, basically cannot exist" I will hook you up with Obama and his balance budget initiative committee (Yikes, of the Speakers Corner this thread goes) ! :)
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Some of you may have noticed that the site was down for some time today.

Gossamer Threads, our hosting company has given me a long and technical explanation that I mostly don't understand. Suffice to say that the server crashed and was taken offline for repairs for a little more than two hours.

I'm sure nobody is thrilled about this, but I assure you, I'm far less thrilled than you are.

More when I have it.

well that's not good, hope that it was fix now

http://www.skydiverinsurance.com/
Bravery is the capacity to perform properly
even when scared half to death.
http://www.skydiverinsurance.com/