sangiro

Dropzone.com Drunk Dial List Discontinued

Heya all,

We made a decision to stop supporting the "Drunk Dial List" on Dropzone.com. This list was started a few years ago by regular DZ.com users (including myself) who wanted a central location where we could find numbers to call and poke some fun on our night out. I’ve received some epic calls, including one from SkymonkeyONE at 3 AM pretending to be in jail and wanting me to provide some legal advice. :ph34r:

It has become time to move on though. The last "keeper of the list" has decided to create a new list on another website. Feel free to PM Bolas for more information to get onto that.

If you have a copy of this list, please note: The Dropzone.com Drunk Dial List remains the property of this site. NOBODY has permission to share the phone numbers on that list with anyone outside the context of this site, and that has now been stopped. Please respect the fact that the people on there value their privacy, and an entrusted us to be the guardians of that.

It was fun while it lasted, but it's time to move on. :)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Just like skydiving it goes from a community and culture to a commodity and business.

You should know the facts before you make comments like that.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Just like skydiving it goes from a community and culture to a commodity and business.

You should know the facts before you make comments like that.

Apologies for any negative assumptions, but I do assume that the potential legalities, and/or liabilities associated with the relationship between DZ.com and the DD list have encouraged the change.

Never meant as as a slight towards this site or any person involved, simply a commentary on the times.

I still like you. :)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Apologies for any negative assumptions, but I do assume that the potential legalities, and/or liabilities associated with the relationship between DZ.com and the DD list have encouraged the change.

Not in the least. The new owners really could care less about most aspects of this site and really are trying to improve things for everyone. In fact the new manager for here did not have the slightest clue as to what it was before someone took it on themselves to post an announcement saying he was moving everything off site.

If anyone wants further details I will be more then happy to talk about them in PM's.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hi all,

Any information you've received that the loss of the DDL is due to a Namemedia decision is mistaken, including the info posted by bolas last night. To be completely honest, I've only ever heard of the DDL in passing, and I certainly never made a decision one way or the other regarding its existence here. Sangiro mentioned it to me once, and in fact, my initial reaction was to leave everything as it was. I don't know this for sure, but I seriously doubt anybody at Namemedia has even heard of it, other than me. It appears to me as though bolas assumed I had it on the chopping block, and then took the action he though was apppropriate. He certainly never contacted me about it. It simply wasn't even on my radar until now.

Though I have ultimate responsibility for everything on the Dropzone.com, there are still several areas of the site where I don't actively participate in the management. The Forum is one of those. HH is still in charge of it, and this is his decision.

However, in the last day I've heard a couple stories about the drama associated with the DDL, and a couple folks provided me with threads that gave me a little more history. Based on that and this latest weird episode, I'm more than inclined to back the decision.

Jay

PS: If I do only one thing well, it's maintain an open door. There's probably 50 people on here right now who I've conversed with directly via PM or email about whatever they wanted to discuss. I'm not saying the DDL would always be here if somebody only contacted me about it, or that the answer to everybody who emails me is a guaranteed yes, but making assumptions about my motives and closed mindedness is a reasonably good way to not get what you want.

To those who have trusted me enough to reach out with your concerns, thank you. I hope I didn't let you down. :)

Here is the unedited message that was posted in the now gone drunk dial forum.

Hey everyone!!!

The DDList is a changin'. New location, new format.

Back in the spring I was told the DDList was not part of the new direction for the site as it had become to cliquey. I agreed with it being cliquey but felt it could be changed and in fact needed to be changed to grow. However, the decision had been made to remove the forum, it just hadn't been done yet. With that in mind, I started looking at alternative ways to host/run the list. I wanted to get away from a centralized list to avoid some of the issues we had of people sharing numbers with others and allow individuals to choose whom they give their info.

It still hasn't been done, but that doesn't mean it won't and more importantly, once you are on the "chopping block" you are basically stagnated.

One of the people I contacted, Ben Lee, was working on a new centralized skyding webforum for dropzones, clubs, etc, similar to http://collegeskydiving.com which he also created while part of the Georgia Tech skydiving club. The new site is called http://skyfreaks.com Those of you that have Roaming DZ accounts already have access.
A blurb about Ben:
http://skyfreaks.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=66

The Drunk Dial Forum works differently as the forum is open to everyone but each person controls who can access their number.
Here's a quick how to:
http://skyfreaks.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67

There will also be the current list accessible to only the current members who create accounts over there. No new members will be added and very few if any changes to the list will be done. The current list should be considered as a way to ease the transition.

Ben can automatically create deactivated accounts that only require you to activate via your email and assign a password. I'll send him the current usernames that I have emails for in the next week or so. Let me know if you do not want to be included.

I have no waying of knowing what will happen with the current list on dropzone.com but will continue to maintain it, if allowed.

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

PS: If I do only one thing well, it's maintain an open door. There's probably 50 people on here right now who I've conversed with directly via PM or email about whatever they wanted to discuss. I'm not saying the DDL would always be here if somebody only contacted me about it, or that the answer to everybody who emails me is a guaranteed yes, but making assumptions about my motives and closed mindedness is a reasonably good way to not get what you want.

To those who have trusted me enough to reach out with your concerns, thank you. I hope I didn't let you down. :)

I am one of those!! Thank you, Jay, for your help and advice via e-mail! Your hard work is appreciated.
'To fly is heaven, to freefall is divine'

'You only need 2 tools. WD40 for when it doesn't move but should, and duct tape for when it moves but shouldn't'

Heya all,

We made a decision to stop supporting the "Drunk Dial List" on Dropzone.com. This list was started a few years ago by regular DZ.com users (including myself) who wanted a central location where we could find numbers to call and poke some fun on our night out. I’ve received some epic calls, including one from SkymonkeyONE at 3 AM pretending to be in jail and wanting me to provide some legal advice. :ph34r:

It has become time to move on though. The last "keeper of the list" has decided to create a new list on another website. Feel free to PM Bolas for more information to get onto that.

If you have a copy of this list, please note: The Dropzone.com Drunk Dial List remains the property of this site. NOBODY has permission to share the phone numbers on that list with anyone outside the context of this site, and that has now been stopped. Please respect the fact that the people on there value their privacy, and an entrusted us to be the guardians of that.

It was fun while it lasted, but it's time to move on. :)

well, Good luck to you

Merry Christmas ^^

http://www.skydiverinsurance.com/
Bravery is the capacity to perform properly
even when scared half to death.
http://www.skydiverinsurance.com/

I’ve received some epic calls, including one from SkymonkeyONE at 3 AM pretending to be in jail and wanting me to provide some legal advice.

I remember that like it was yesterday. That was before you even got married unless I am mistaken.

Take care old friend,

Chuck

i will either answer or not, depending on wat i'm doin @ the moment re, drinkin MAYBE, jumPin probably not, doin an ILUVTOFLY jello shot, only when i've finished, having SEX, yes I will answer for various reasons but mainly cuz i want YOU the dialer to, uh nevermind you'll get the answerif you call @ the right time!