sangiro

Welcome Jay Young

Heya all,

NameMedia has appointed someone to head up the 3 sites they acquired from us. Jay is an avid outdoor enthusiast and has been participating in online forums and communities for many years. I know Jay from over at Rockclimbing.com - he's "good people".

Jay is committed to growing and improving Dropzone.com. He understands the value, fun, camaraderie and (sometimes) frustrations that come with being part of an online community. Engage him in your discussions, share your thoughts and ideas and let him know how what you like and what you'd like to change or improve on Dropzone.com.

We're excited to have a dedicated person assigned to these sites and we're very much looking forward to how he'll help move this community forward.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Hi folks,

I may have met a few of you in the Bonfire back when Willem and Daniel bought Rockclimbing.com. If not, hi, I’m Jay Young. A little about me, first. I’m a longtime climber, and I’ve been involved with Rockclimbing.com for a number of years, including acting as editor of her Gear Guide under Daniel. My professional background is in climbing, content and journalism; I’m not a coder, nor do I have much technical web experience to speak of. I live and work in Fayetteville, WV (think Bridge Day), where my wife and I moved to be closer to rock and whitewater.

I’m certain that you all have a lot of concerns and questions. I’ll try to address a few of them in this post; please feel free to ask about anything and everything else.

First of all, I guess you’re worried, and I understand why. Here’s this asshole you don’t know, who has probably never jumped, doesn’t have clue #1 about your culture in the sky, let alone on this site, and yet, he’s been hired to run it. Well, that pretty covers it. About all I do have is an understanding that I don’t know those things. It ain’t much, but armed with that, I think I can proceed cautiously and delicately. Though I have been hired in part to help DZ grow as a revenue source for Namemedia, I intend to do so with a long perspective. My philosophy is that growth will be won by preserving the culture and integrity of this site, and I’ll try to do so by adding infrastructure and functionality where it can do the most good for the most people. In the private moderators’ forum, billvon mentioned that the development of this site has been emergent, rather than deterministic. I’ll always keep that in mind.

So I guess the big question now is, what happens next? First off, as of right now, Willem still has primary responsibility for everything on DZ.com. He and Daniel have agreed to assist for a while to help facilitate the transfer of things. Where I hope we’re headed is toward a smooth transition that takes as long as it needs to take, while still moving steadily forward. Eventually, I’ll have primary responsibility for all of it, but an actual timeline has yet to be determined, and will probably remain somewhat fluid. It’s important to mention, though, that I don’t envision a time when I will ever act to do anything here without a lot of advice from trusted and respected members of the community.

On that note, I will also say that one of my earliest tasks is to gather feedback about the site from you. I have a few ideas about things that may or may not be kinda cool, but I don’t yet know which of them are viable and which are not. So, it is at this point in time that I would like to open a discussion up to your ideas. Is there some functionality you’d like to see added? Is there something you think really needs to stay the same? Is there a direction you feel DZ.com is headed – and should continue on? Or not? Or, do you just have questions?

I make no promises that any feedback will become reality. I only promise that I’m listening. For everything else, I’ll let my actions speak for me.

Let the games begin!

Him, HIM....

It's a welcome...relax.... ***

Jay might not be able to follow that "hymn" to it's skydiving conclusion if he's a whuffo... so I'll follow through.....

Him.... him..... FUCK HIM!

Relax. It's still a welcome! Good luck, Jay!
Owned by Remi #?

First of all, I guess you’re worried, and I understand why. Here’s this asshole you don’t know, who has probably never jumped, doesn’t have clue #1 about your culture in the sky, let alone on this site, and yet, he’s been hired to run it.

Hey, as long as you don't make this an ad infested site and don't allow skydivers to do their thing, then you can rock it out. ;)
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

So, it is at this point in time that I would like to open a discussion up to your ideas. Is there some functionality you’d like to see added? Is there something you think really needs to stay the same?

HH had a policy against animated avatars and reciprocated by not using animated advertising. PLEASE keep that policy intact. It adds so much dignity to these forums.
Owned by Remi #?