EDYDO

Altimeter Back Plates

Just before a skydive, we were both admiring and discussing our somewhat new Neptune Digital altimeters that we were using as visuals. During the skydive, we both saw his leave his hand and there was nothing we could do about it. That was a $250 skydive. The moral to the story is that if you have an electronic altimeter and you use it on your hand, install the metal back plate or you will likely lose it.

Ed

Bummmer, but it does hold true to form! When somebody takes a monetary hit on a jump and it is clearly seen, it will stick out as a memorable jump.....

I hope you raised a beer to the death of the poor Neptune :P Thinking about it though, the Neptune may yet still be alive and just lost out in the woods. Send in the troops to rescue it!!!!B|

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Bad news dude. I lost mine in my (well sharks) bonehead gunner this weekend on a tandem as well. Damn expensive skydive for 35 bucks!:(

I really liked the neptune though so I replaced it on the spot. I'll call bonehead today about the helmet loss.

Bad news dude. I lost mine in my (well sharks) bonehead gunner this weekend on a tandem as well. Damn expensive skydive for 35 bucks!:(

I really liked the neptune though so I replaced it on the spot. I'll call bonehead today about the helmet loss.

You didn't lose the bonehead, it ran away from that jumpsuit.B|
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

From Neptune manual: "Lay the hand mount across the back of the Neptune and put the metal backplate on top of it

When I sent mine in for service it came back with the back plate removed. Instead they are using a washer on each screw.

When I sent mine in for service it came back with the back plate removed. Instead they are using a washer on each screw.

At one time there was a warning posted that the backplate added support to the unit and prevented flexing when used as a visual. I can't find that warning, but I intend to keep the back plate just in case.

Ed

This is from the Alti-2 website:

When you use Neptune with a hand mount, it is not necessary to use the backplate.
The handmount may be mounted to Neptune using 4 screws and washers provided.

If you choose to use the blackplate then you do not need to use the washers.

I use the backplate, just to be sure I won't crack the Neptune when bending my hand. And I thought that the screws + washers could maybe wear through the handstrap after a while.
But if I ever loose it, I hope it helps that is neon-green :S.

Bullshit, git the dogs out we'll find that sucker!

I'll tell you where it is. Lake Wales, Go to the end of the runway toward town, then about 1/4 mile to the right. We were directly over a good sized herd of cows. It has got to be in that pasture or just toward the target from it. The wind was minimal, it fell from 4600 feet.

Just mail it to Chuck!!! B|

Ed