base_nz

buying from overseas

hi,

Im going to be buying a second rig probably from the us but being in New Zealand i am a little apprehensive of sending my money on blind faith.
Does anyone have any sugestions on making it a bit safer (even though 95% of people are honest).

Any sugestions or experiances would be greatly appreciated!;)
.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

Buy through a reputable dealer who has been in the industry a while.

I know it sounds self serving, but there is a reason some of the dealers have been around close to 20 years. They do things right.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

New or used?

New, certainly buy from a reputable dealer that has been in business for a while.

Used is somewhat trickier. If you are worried, there are several places (riggers / gear stores) that will basically escrow the rig and handle the exchange. Also, you may then be able to pay via credit card (paying the 3% fee or whatever), which is an added security. Overseas definitely makes it tougher.

I have faith in people too, but I don't know if I agree with 95%. [:/]

j

i had the same thoughts when i was buying overseas (i live in the UK) and was going to put the purchase on my CC (i *think* this gave me a bit more protection, but i could be wrong)

I like to think i'm a good judge of caracter so phoned a couple of places to see what the person was like on the other end of the phone.

I ended up buying a full rig (odysey, sabre 2, PD reserve, Cypres 2) and some other bits at different times from a company called The Skydiving Outlet in Deland. www.tso-d.com Arlo who works there (and posts here) kicks ass. Everything was as as she said it was, shipped in on peice and always on time, if not earlier. I would very much recomend her :)
I have also bought from the Drop Shop in Sebastian www.dropshopsales.com from the awesome Lisa (posts as skybytch here). Again, awesome customer service, always delivered on time and the prices were great.

If buying abroad, like i was, from personal experience, i can highly recommend both of these stores. :)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

here's wat I did
Get the seller to send it to your DZ and have them hold it until you pay the guy/girl for the rig
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I have bought several skydive gear items from Total Control in Australia and zero problems. A bit closer to NZ than US dealers and good prices too.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Totals sells a lot more than their website has on it.
Email Richie and ask him for what you're after.
He delivers in 2-3 days as well:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?