MtK123

Tracking pants & fall rate

This question is out of pure curiosity ..

Do homemade smoke pants and non-homemade pants produced by companies like phoenix-fly (compared to each other) noticabely reduce the fall rate and vertical speed in BOX position and make delays longer, or are they just for reducing falling speed in tracking positions?

Thx for answers.

Anysuit that increases surface area decreases fallrate.

A baggy non inflating suit will slowdown fallrate but will not work that well in the tracking position. reducing flap or oscillation is important for a tracking suit to work well.

Kris.

Anysuit that increases surface area decreases fallrate.

But is box position vertical speed Noticabely slower in pants, compared to non-tracking usual pants ?

Given a reasonably larger pant radius, compared to the maximum leg radius, the increased form drag from the inflatable pants will probably be the significant factor.

If the pants are made from the same material and are the same size, the inflatable pants probably provide a slower fallrate. Noticable? I am not sure.

Kris.

I get about 2 sec more from the main exit points in LB. This is based on about 100 jumps from there in old style track pantz and about 10 in newer phoenix pants....And about 50% more horizontal distance....Usually about 10m more than the little german...hehehehehehehe

But is box position vertical speed Noticabely slower in pants, compared to non-tracking usual pants ?

I haven't compared smoke pants to tracking pants, but PF tracking pants will slow your fall rate quite a bit compared to a free-fly suit on your belly/not-tracking. I flew a pair of PF tracking pants in the tunnel recently.

Derek