TomAiello

Free BASE Training: Fall Deathcamp, Aug 27-Sept 2, 2007

The Snake River BASE Academy will host Fall Death Camp 2007 from August 27th to September 2nd, 2007, in Twin Falls, Idaho.

Death Camp is offered twice each year, at Memorial Day (the 3rd week of May) and Labor Day (the first week of September). Death Camp is free, and admission is highly competitive. Typically, we receive approximately 30 applications for 5 places. Admission is offered based on evaluation of student applications, reference checks, student preparation and class composition.

Death Camp is the most comprehensive introduction to BASE available today. The course will focus on fundamental BASE skills, with an additional emphasis on the history and ethics of BASE, and the teamwork necessary to many BASE jumps. In addition to standard First Jump training, the course will cover appropriate brake settings, advanced packing techniques, object avoidance techniques, object evaluation, and landing skills. Time and jumper aptitude permitting, we will also cover unpacked jumps, particularly as used for emergency situations, and multi-way jumps.

The Death Camp curriculum assumes that students begin with no previous BASE jumps. However, applications will be accepted from anyone having fewer than 20 BASE jumps.

To Apply for Death Camp, please provide the following information, or submit the answers to these questions via email to [email protected] or submit the answers to these questions via mail to us at Post Office Box 2493, Twin Falls, Idaho, 83303, USA. Please do not send private messages via the forums. All answers are optional, but providing more information will improve your chances of admission.

(1) Name:
(2) Age:
(3) Place of Residence:
(4) Number of BASE Jumps:
(5) Primary Skydiving Disciplines:
(6) Home Dropzone:

(7) Number of Skydives:
(a) Number of CRW jumps:
(b) Number of Accuracy jumps:
(c) Number of Demo jumps:
(8) Any rigging certifications:
(9) Other relevant experience (paragliding, climbing, rescue, etc):

(10) Name and telephone number of any BASE jumpers who know you:
(11) Name and telephone number of a BASE jumper who has agreed to mentor you:
(12) Name and telephone number of any instructors from other related disciplines who know you:
(13) Name and telephone number of your home dropzone S&TA, Chief Instructor, or both:

(14) Mailing Address:
(15) Telephone Number (mobile preferred):

(16) Emergency Contact Name:
(17) Emergency Contact Telephone (mobile preferred):
(18) Emergency Contact Address:
(19) Emergency Contact's relation to you:

(20) Are you married?
(21) Do you have childred?
(22) Have you discussed BASE jumping with your family?

(23) Explain why you want to BASE jump:
(24) Tell us something about yourself that is unrelated to parachuting:

Admissions decisions will be made with many criteria, but be aware that a recommendation from a BASE mentor whose judgment I trust will be weighed heavily in favor of applicants able to provide it.

More information, including a course syllabus, can be obtained by emailing [email protected]. Course application and syllabus can also be found at SnakeRiverBASE.com.

Admissions decisions will be made beginning July 9, 2007, and continue until all spots are filled. Applications completed before July 2nd will receive priority consideration.

Students will be asked to make a $100 charity donation as part of their participation in the course.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Being asked to make a donation of $100 for participation kind of takes the "Free" out of it, don't you think?
Zing Lurks

Being asked to make a donation of $100 for participation kind of takes the "Free" out of it, don't you think?

It's much different than being "charged" $100 for services rendered.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Charity donations aren't exactly payment, and since you'd probably end up paying more than a thousand dollars for this course if it were done commercially, I don't feel too bad about it.

Participants are asked to make a donation, not commanded. I've never told someone they couldn't come if they refused to make the donation, nor have I insisted that they do so as a condition of participation. Interestingly, I've never had someone not volunteer to make the donation (on two occasions I've forgotten to ask them, and the students reminded me both times), and I've also had several people voluntarily make larger contributions.

The charity I've had students donate to this year is Magic Valley Safe Kids, the local branch of Safe Kids, an international organization devoted to childhood safety.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Geez, it isn't free either if you have to pay for your own flight to Idaho. Somehow I doubt that anyone who is willing to buy a BASE rig, a flight to Idaho and accommodations for a week is going to balk at donating $100 to a charity.
The world is one giant drop zone now, Bonnie! - Seth Blake

Geez, it isn't free either if you have to pay for your own flight to Idaho. Somehow I doubt that anyone who is willing to buy a BASE rig, a flight to Idaho and accommodations for a week is going to balk at donating $100 to a charity.

No, I think that's total bullshit! Tom, don't you think it's totally half-assed of you to provide a very complete 1st BASE course, providing training that usually costs much more $, let your students jump your excess of personal gear, have people over to your house for dinner, etc. for "free" and NOT provide them with a paid hotel room with mealservice, transportation, a personal BASE setup for each student, etc. And then you have the NERVE to ask that a $100 donation to a local charity is given?

I see how your scam works dude. What about health insurance and heli-vac? What do you take us for...people who take responsibility for ourselves?

Tom, I demand that you charge a large sum of money for this course and hold each student's hand all the way through their 400th jump.

-p

…and don’t forget to pick up a dozen cases of beer while you’re at it. Make sure it’s the good stuff!

Oh yeah, and a Buffalo Chip every morning for breakfast! :P