dmcoco84

Class Action Lawsuit - NPS

If a class action lawsuit against the NPS for discrimination in issuance of special use permits were to be filed:

Would you like to be apart of the lawsuit or not?

Note: I would assume that any individual who wishes to be apart of the lawsuit would have to apply for a permit. Otherwise the NPS could state that the individual who has not applied has not been discriminated against.

Coco

Edit To Add: Skydivers who read the BASE forum with no intention to BASE or to apply for a permit for means of a lawsuit, Please Do Not Poll. If you wish to comment do so in the thread. Thanks

Permit Denial #1

Permit Denial #2

Fred Morelli talked about a lawsuit against the NPS more than five years ago. I'll give him a call/email and find out more. The bottom line is that our group is small, but we need to be loud. It would take a major commitment and lots of $ to pursue a lawsuit. Proper use of the media would be critical to be heard. Are jumpers ready to donate time and money to the cause? Maybe, maybe not.....
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I told Fred several years back, I would be more than happy to donate Paralegal time/services...am still willing to do so. Drop me a line/PM if you need me to look anything up or how I can help out.

Later Jason,
Kaye

Blinding them with legal proceedings works in many many cases. I say go for it - I'd sign on. I can't afford Lysefjord, I wanna jump El Cap in broad daylight, and should be able to.

Sidebar:

There is a pretty healthy Idaho contingent of BASE jumpers for the obvious reason, and Dirk Kempthorne (former ID governor for those who don't know - now Sec. of Interior) will be leaving with the current administration...between us and the TF community as a whole, perhaps a campaign to get his weight behind us? A last hurrah for the home folks perhaps?

NPS answers to Interior. Just a thought.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

This could easily work given the crazy workload of Congress.

This is definetely win-able given enough financial resources and a smart YOUNG attorney willing to put in the long hours to win such a case.

Just set them up to snare themselves in undefensible legal logic. It'll be thrown out by one of the circuit courts or Supreme Court (if they have the political agenda to address any personal freedoms that are rapidly being eroded). We may need some sacrificial lamb jumpers to do this. Ever heard of carefully crafted civil disobedience? Unfortunately a majority of jumpers are not organized enough to pull it off. We'll have to lose some battles here, but do you want to win the battle or the WAR?
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

This guy has had success getting snowmobilers and 4 wheelers access to National Parks.

Edit To Add: Skydivers ... Please Do Not Poll. If you wish to comment do so in the thread. Thanks

As requested, I'm commenting without voting.

The options you have presented in the poll are incomplete. You give people the option to indicate whether or not they think the case has merit, but only if they vote in a certain way. A person who votes yes (willing to be a party) does not necessarily want to imply that the case has merit -- it might just be a show of solidarity. Another person who votes yes might very well want to show a believe in the merits of the action. So those two cases should (in my view) be separated.
The world is one giant drop zone now, Bonnie! - Seth Blake

Thanks everyone for the inputs so far. Great info! This is something I feel very strongly about and would like to see an outcome in our favor. I have some legal contacts I will be consulting with for legal guidance. Anyone else with legal background or connections that can provide additional knowledge base would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Kaye.

We have a right to jump there and if we don’t step up its never gonna happen. Senate and Congressional members are very beneficial but slow in their aid...Judicial intervention may be what we need to attain our goals before we are "old timer". :P

I’ll be out of the country for BASE during July and August but when I get back I will be putting a lot of time into this.

It will take time, money and struggle but it can be done.

“We stand on the Shoulders of Giants”

Coco

Thank you for your comment but that’s a little more in-depth of a poll than is really necessary in the developing stages of action. I have pretty simple primary goals. A) Make a game plan for approaching this issue. B) Try to find a rough estimate of the people who care about this topic and whether or not they would like to give me, at the least, a name and signature. The degree of merit this case has in someone’s eyes is not of importance to me. If someone votes no, I take that as a lack of interest and an opinion of either low or no merit. Simple as that.

Coco

shit, i'm in! we were talking about it during our two day vacation in jail for nrg jump. >:(

My application for a special use permit should be in to Zion by end of this week, I'll post the response as soon as I have it...

And yes, count me in.

so i have a couple of questions...

outside of bridge day, has anyone ever had a permit approved?

is there documentation of how many permits have been requested? denied/approved?

would the aclu be interested in representing our cause, (kind of doubt it but thought i'd throw it out there)

tom tancredo's name has been associated with discrimination against BASE jumpers, now that he's running for president, would he continue to support us?

would the ACLU be interested in representing our cause

Maybe we could get some support from the "Hemlock Society";)

Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

Not a bad guy to contact...
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Hello,

I would also be willing to contribute monies to the cause. You might call Rick Harrison for input/advice on this subject.

Tom Dancs

I know some people find him pretty abrasive, but Robin Heid could probably contribute some helpful insights to this as well. Anyone seen him post lately? If I don't see him reply I'll email him about this.
I've got this really hardcore group of gaurdian angels that need a free paid vacation.
~Dan Osman

legal permits in Yosemity in 80, legal freefall permits in Canynon de Chelley in 83 -84 and some others. Much better ways to get permits than litigation.'
Rick H
Rick Harrison

Regarding me being "not a bad guy to contact...." feel free to do so. However, contrary to the incorrect stereotypes about lawyers, I have very strong ethics... therefore, I can't say that I'd take such a case.

Not because I don't think it has merit. It might. I just don't think I am the best man for the job.

This is the kind of case that, if you put it together, should be handled by the absolute best man for the task. I have seen many important cases that turned to a big double-malfunction because the attorney who took the case was motivated by lucre and/or ego. In situations like that, when the case is lost, the lawyer gets to go on with his career -- but the cause suffers a horrible setback.

That all being said, I can think of nobody better to lead the team on something like this than Fred Morelli. When it comes to this area of law, he's the Jolly Green Giant, and I'm a Keebler Elf. On a case like this, I'd consider it an honor to just carry Morelli's briefcase for him.

That being said, feel free to take any materials you find on my blog, and if there is some small way that I can help out -- don't hesitate to ask. One thing that I think I could do is this: I teach Sports Law, and I have a lot of talented students. If you wind up hiring a good lawyer for this case, no matter what, I'm sure that you will be hard pressed to fully fund the suit. This case could easily run to six figures.

I'd be more than willing to talk to the attorney who takes the case, and put him in contact with some of my students. Perhaps some of them would be willing (under your lawyer's supervision) to do research and memos to cut down on costs for you, and gain practical experience for themselves.

I'm not promising anything, but even though I don't jump anymore, I still consider myself to be "part of the community." I'm certain that if I put out a call for help for something on DZ.com, I'd get more than I needed. (Actually, that has already happened -- back in January) So, in that spirit of "be excellent to each other," I'll certainly do whatever I can that will be both ethical and likely to help, rather than hinder, the cause.

long time no hear, did the girl you were talking about giving the rest of the money to get it? still aint jumping thought us eloy peeps had u back in it
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

try emailing Rick Harrison or PM'ing him instead of calling him.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

See attachment for suggestion. It is not directed at anyone in particular, and should not be taken personally. Some will understand, some not.

Any questions or comments? Please PM me. PM's that don't look like they are from regular forum participants will be ignored, as will PM's intended as flames. If you feel compellled to flame my ass, do it in public, I rather enjoy it.

Thank You!

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

You asked for it, so I REFUSE to call you a dipshit. I also WILL NOT call you an annoying ass who has nothing to contribute to a somewhat thought provoking subject. And to call you an ASSinine cock sucker would serve no purpose but to please your own diluted sense of self numbering, SO I WONT.

=nic

(cya in 2 weeks)

IMHO, One must assess the morality of the poster's posts before playing god and judging the individual.
Take care,
space