jasonatokc

a permanent black marker on one javelin flap Help !!!

I have a javelin j-14 and the center all the flaps are pink and the rest of the container is black just the back reserve pop and 3 sunshine flaps and 1 center flap?? that goes halfway over the main when you close the container if you have javelin you should prob know what i mean well I have bought a rig that has just the center flap that after close observation seems to be colered in with a permant majic marker is this going to compromise the saftey of the rig? it didnt bleed through real light ?? any input would be greatly appriciated thank's in advance :)
Jason

I don't think it's any problem other than it looking like shit. I've seen quite a few rigs where folks thought this would look better than before. But, on the other hand, it could be a stolen rig, and the colored flap is done to try and hide the looks......you follow?
my pics & stuff!

i thought that but I ordered risers and they needed the serial # no prob plus I check with uspa and search to make sure it was not stolen

I just want to jump it and not have a saftey issue there isnt really anything but cosmetic on that center flap right?

Jason

Jason, I remember a while back a buddy bought a black Jav. rig and the only color was pink and yellow pin stripes on the main closing flap. He used a magic marker to color over the colors, he though they were kinda girly looking. At his next repack the rigger said that this was unacceptable, that he had caused damage to the courdura. I don't know personally about this but I would be cautious until I spoke to a rigger about it.

At his next repack the rigger said that this was unacceptable, that he had caused damage to the courdura.

I'd be curious as to what damage "supposedly" took place.

You probably won't get a good answer from this forum to be honest. What's done is done, but it's just a marker. I've seen plenty of rigs that people colored with markers, glitter, , paint... oh and just getting plain dirty with grease or oil, or spaghetti sauce, etc ... catch my drift?

Naptha may help remove it. (3m Wax and grease remover, picked up at your local auto paint supply) if it bugs you.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

:) IF YOU WERE ME WOULD YOU TRY AND REMOVE IT W/SUGGESTIONS IN THIS FORUM OR LEAVE IT ALONE? AND OTHER SUGGESTIONS ON GETTING RID OF IT ? ALSO WHAT IF i TRY TO REMOVE IT AND IT DONT COME OFF ALL THE WAY THEN IT REALLY LOOKS LIKE CRAP BUT WOULD THE RIGGER STILL NOT MESS WITH IT ? ??? ? WHAT WOULD YOU DO?? THANKS FOR YOUR VALUABLE TIME AND INPUT
TAKE CARE AND BLUE SKIES . JASON
Jason

lol. Thanks everyone! Here is a question. I got a good deal on the container and want to jump and keep it, and be able to get the rigger to do a reserve repack on it (although a master rigger did a repack on the reserve right before I boutght it as it was included in the deal, dont know if it was done before or after the marker incident) but to the point it was light faded pink before the black marker and it actually looks good but I would think maybe in the heat it would rub off :( If you were me would you try and remove it w/suggestions in this forum or leave it alone? any other suggestions on getting rid of it ? Also what if I try and remove it and it doesnt come off all the way then it really looks like crap but would the rigger still not mes with it ???
What would you do? Thanks for your valuable time and input

Take Care and Blue Skies
Jason
Jason

HEY Hookitt what do you mean by "I'd be curious as to what damage "supposedly" took place" ?????thanks :)

Self-explanatory actually. Unless someone here has seen actual damage to Nylon Cordura material, I don't buy that it was damaged.

As far as the rig with the marks on it, I won't suggest anything. I know of a few out there that have had the pink colored with black marker.

The worst thing you can do is rub strange chemicals into the nylon in hopes of cleaning it. You will never get all the black ink out of the pink Cordura. Not only with the job look half-assed, some of the cleaning solvents may damage the nylon.
Chances are the toluene or alcohol in the magic marker did not affect the structural strength of the nylon and the reserve bottom flap is so thick the ink never got anywhere near the fragile reserve canopy.
If your local rigger gets all anal about suspected damage, then mail it back to SunPath so they can sew on a new flap with YOUR favourite colours.

I ran into the situation of a rig that had a "colored in" mid flaps and in a conversation with Aggie at Sunpath. He told me that it may indeed affect the structural integrity of the fabric. He said that while it might be fine, there is no way to know what chemicals were in the type of marker that was used or what it might do to the fabric over time. The owner of the rig decided to send it sunpath and get the entire mid-flap replaced. You can check Sunpath's website for pricing. While, by itself, it may not cause problems, when sun damage, abrasion, or other things are all working together to weaken material, who knows how much of it's original strength may be lost. It's clearly not a good idea to do anything that will deteriorate material, coloring included. I guess it's ultimately up to the rigger packing the reserve for that cycle to decide (and sign off) on the system's airworthyness.
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

Naptha isn't a strange chemical but I know what you mean and agree with it. It won't remove marker. It will help remove Grease and oil. I just re-read what you replied to and I didn't make that clear.

I still believe that the nylon is fine. It's just colored in. I don't suggest coloring with any thing, however I've seen plenty of decorative flaps that have been colored. That's all I'm getting at.

My first rig was an original Talon Classic. It cost about 100 bucks to get the flap changed from pink to the color of my choice. I'd suspect it's still about the same cost to change the flap on a javelin.

Pre-order the flap and try and reserve a repair date if you choose to have it replaced.

Yeh I had my local Master Rigger Look at it this weekend and it's fine I could have the flap replaced for about 100 bucks but he said no need to just scotch guard and jump it :) he did say if it would have been all of the flaps and the circle reserve pop thing that he would have poped the reserve and had to inspect just posting this to maybe help someone in the future thanks for all the great input guy's take care blue skies Jason
Jason