meekerboy

More photos of X-Days Rotterdam

The jetpack its awsome! Is it commercialized??? Cuz I would really want to try one, need more info on this pretty little thing!

Great photos by the way!

I saw the Jetpack fly once at a swoop event
in Panama City Beach, Florida a few years ago.

I highly doubt they loan them out since timing is
very crucial, once you run out of fuel you're comin'
down where ever you are.

Plus I think I remember hearing that the
fuel for it is kind of pricey.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

Ok, by the looks of it, i thought it was some kind of compressed gaz. what is the flight autonomy?

You also need a license to buy the chemicals and they are dangerous when mixed together.

When jetman flew he had people with buckets of water near him.

We went out for drinks with the pilot (scot) and the guy charged with the machanics/fueling etc.

Here's roughly what I remember..

The thing runs on waterperoxide (waterstofperoxide) and he caries just enough fuel for 35 seconds of flight.

Scott, the guy flying it, was in the army and just happened to be in the right place when they needed a new pilot.
Its (according to him) the only flying one, which is a leftover from an old US militairy program which was cancelled.

Because the thing gets lighter with every second it flies, he has to throtle down the whole time, as it starts climbing quicker and quicker.

They calculated that, if they'd just run it at MAX. They would keep climbing for +-20 seconds, and get it up to roughly 3000 ft.

Scott is a former skydiver, and sayd he was talking/interested in doing a stunt like that, rigging it with a special base/harnes (scary when you see all the things sticking out of the thing, ready to grab lines).

They where also trying to get money (or already building, dont remember) a new unit, which would run a lot longer then the 35 seconds of flight this one allows.

And sadly...(everyone askedB|) he is the only one allowed to fly it..

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

They calculated that, if they'd just run it at MAX. They would keep climbing for +-20 seconds, and get it up to roughly 3000 ft.

Scott is a former skydiver, and sayd he was talking/interested in doing a stunt like that, rigging it with a special base/harnes (scary when you see all the things sticking out of the thing, ready to grab lines).

No problem -- just cut away from the jetpack when it runs out of fuel and deploy a canopy for it, then track away and deploy your BASE canopy.

I'm thinking that Calvin19 is the perfect person to try this out. B|
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

the second one looks scary :S. not sure I'd want an helicopter blade 24 inchs from my head without anything between...

waterperoxide (waterstofperoxide)

I think you mean Hydrogen Peroxide. :$

ek dink jy spreek 'n gek taal en u denk ek spreek eine gekke taal.. :P

Indeed. 90% aqueous hydrogen peroxide at that; you have to distill commercially-available 50% (which is not recommended doing in a built-up area)

The peroxide is pushed through a silver gauze using compressed nitrogen; the required thickness of the wires etc has required some experimentation I believe. This causes a catalytic reaction in which the peroxide is transformed into water and oxygen in a strongly exothermic reaction (several hundred degrees celcius). This causes the water to be turned into steam and, given how much the gases expand, produces a significant amount of thrust (and it's noisy!)

All quite simple really... in theory!
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13