NickDG

Go Fast X-days, publicity discussion

Now this is a thread worth reading. Lots of good BASE info going on here.
Face it, Your all a bunch of fuck wads. Get a life will ya. Humm. I wonder if this will result in my very first banning? No great loss considering what seems to be the main focus of this forum these days.
K

mccordia:
I agree, Nick is perfectly capable of standing and defending. I am not defending what NickDJ Posted in my Post. I think you are mis-reading me.

Saber210:
Like I said, I am not in defense of Nicks Post. He is wrong. I have attended Go-Fast events. I like them as Organizers. I think they do an excellent job. The Vid. that mccordia Posted was most excellent in it's show of just how professional and in control that the sponsored jumpers are. From what I saw in it. The BASE jumps made by sponsored jumpers were spot-on. No sick stuff just hand-held exits with good Headings and right to the LZ.
Just 'THE WAY' you are suppose do perform at a public event to make your Organizer look it's best and to help build more BASE events.
I have only attended a couple of go-fast royal gorge events but it's the same at any other organised event like bridge days, the older IPBC events, four kl tower/petronas towers. Heliboogie, turkey days, and whatever. The DickHead that got This go-fast event shut down prematurely that people were talking about I don't know about the details but you usually really got to show your Ass for that to make happen at a BASE event.
Anyway I am not defending Nicks mindless blurt out. Just in taking it to a new level as moving it to a new Thread.

Tom:
I totally understand the reasoning that you say. I just think taking Nicks post and then letting it stand out there in heading of a new Thread topic is just a magnet for what you personally don't want. One second it is in an ongoing discussion. Nick blurts out an off-the-wall rant. You see it, move it, then it just gets get more moderating/editing.
It just bugs me when Threads are altered and split-up. I can read and listen to several different written conversations with a few insults thrown-in, all in the same Thread topic. Name calling does not really bother me but sometimes I think 'You' take name calling more personal than the person getting called the names does. It's like Mother and Moderator. They are two different titles but both are important. Neither get the recognition they deserve. I just feel Mother has nothing to do with Moderator.

The BASE jumps made by sponsored jumpers were spot-on. No sick stuff just hand-held exits with good Headings and right to the LZ.
Just 'THE WAY' you are suppose to .....

Ha! I wish Ray, i wish. :$

You still haven't answered my primary question: why didn't you say ANYTHING to Nick about calling everyone who attended the event assholes but then you blast Ian for name-calling in response? The only thing you said to His Holier-Than-Thou-ness was how sorry you were for splitting out his post. Not a word about the personal attack that was in the original un-edited version. (And as I understand it, because many of the jumpers who attended the event also post here, calling them all assholes is a personal attack prohibited by the rules here.) While Ian's post may have technically been a personal attack, at least it was based Nick's own words. Nick's post was just a blast at a bunch of people he doesn't even necessarily know who attended an event he knows nothing about. Yet not even a word of warning to Nick about that. I know I am not the only one here who thinks that's crap and would like to hear your explanation as to how that is fair or equal treatment of posters, so how about it?

Name calling does not really bother me but sometimes I think 'You' take name calling more personal than the person getting called the names does.

that is based on Sangiro's rules. personally, it appears to create a better climate; more civilized. many lurk here. I'd expect their numbers would fall if the mood changed.

it definately sets this forum apart from the rest...

I would expect a post containing such a blatant attack to receive a warning from the moderator. the whole tone of the thread changed dramatically because of the attack. little has been written for/against Nick's point. if Nick had ommitted the attack, this discussion would have followed a far different path.

I find it odd how some events get criticized, while others are applauded. I don't recall any negative posts after the Super Bowl jump or several Stunt Junkies episodes (well, the Luigi one...)

personally, I'd rather see BASE kept personal, not public. do it to satisfy an inner passion, not external fame. the big events seem to create a herd mindset which leads to less than desirable behavior.

(that does NOT mean I'll abstain entirely from big public events...)
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Related Sports
The BASE Zone

Plan to try BASE jumping? Know what you're getting into.

In my opinion: 5 1/2 to 6 second delay using a 38 inch pilot chute. Additionally, yes, a 7 is technically doable but you will be in the basement.

Good luck
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

...why didn't you say ANYTHING to Nick...

Please carefully re-read the thread. My first post in it was a response to Nick in which I said:

Obviously this is a discussion with some contention. I'm sure that, even so, we are all capable of discussing this topic like adults, without slinging petty insults around. Please stop the name calling.

This was intended as a general warning to everyone who had posted attacks that I had edited out of the thread. Please note that this group includes Nick, whose post I was responding to. You can determine which post I was responding to by the header, which in this case reads " Re: [NickDG]" indicating that I had responded to a post by NickDG.

I did not continue discussion in the thread with any of the original people whose posts I had edited (Maretus, NickDG, Sabre210), aside from Sabre210. The reason for that is because he was the only one of those three who posted a response asking for clarification.

I responded to RayLosli and Sabre210 in my second post because they were the posters who had asked questions, in this thread, about my moderation decision.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Right. I got all that. But when you did make your specific response to Ian, you started out by saying you understood HE wanted to be able to call people names, and then you go on about how you are not going to let this forum degerate into the flame fest that BLiNC became, as if Ian was the prime offender here with the name-calling. If YOU go back and read carefully, you will see that Ian was not engaging in petty name-calling like Nick was. He WAS commenting on Nick's motives, his attitude and the hypocrisy in many of his rants about glory-seeking, the good old days, etc. But his comments, although very critical of Nick, were generally civilized and mature. Yet your response to him makes it sound like he was the instigator and the one determined to take this forum down the path BLiNC got sucked down. It seems like you want to give your buddy, Nick, a free pass (or at most, a love tap on the wrist), but you want to slap Ian, and that just doesn't seem right. I'll leave it at that, though, because I'm pretty sure you are not going to admit any bias in your moderation on this, and I am positive you are not going to be able to convince me that there wasn't any here.

...when you did make your specific response to Ian, you started out by saying you understood HE wanted to be able to call people names...If YOU go back and read carefully...

Here's what happened:

1) Nick started an argument with a general attack.
2) Several people responded. Two of them (Ian and Maretus) included attacks on Nick.
3) I split the thread, and edited out the attacks in those three posts.
4) I posted a general warning to the three of them (and anyone else who was considering it) to cut it out.
5) Ian posted again, re-introducing the name calling that I'd edited out.
6) I posted a response to Ian (and Ray) explaining what I'd done, and asking him to stop it.

Seeing as Ian was the only person who obviously wanted to re-introduce the attacks (because he did, in his post after my split and general warning), I think it was pretty fair of me to say that he wanted to do that.

If I really thought that this was a big deal, or really wanted to "slap" someone, wouldn't I have banned them in some way? We're still in the realm of warnings here. One warning for Nick and Maretus, and two for Ian (one for the original offense, and one for re-posting the attacks).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

what did the five fingers say to the face?

Bitchslap fool
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

Stay the course. Stay the course.

It's time now! My time now! Give me mine. Give me my wings! - MJK

The BASE jumps made by sponsored jumpers were spot-on. No sick stuff just hand-held exits with good Headings and right to the LZ.
Just 'THE WAY' you are suppose to .....

Ha! I wish Ray, i wish. :$

Coo-eee!
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

If I really thought that this was a big deal, or really wanted to "slap" someone, wouldn't I have banned them in some way? We're still in the realm of warnings here. One warning for Nick and Maretus, and two for Ian (one for the original offense, and one for re-posting the attacks).

Personal attacks are forbidden in this forum and therefore I feel that the warning from TomA towards me was more than deserved. My post contained obvious and deliberate personal attack towards NickDG (calling him an a*****e). No problems from me towards Tom about that, he did his job as a moderator of this board like he should do. Even banning me from this forum could have been in order. But what I would really like to get (and what this topic maybe should focus on) is a response from Nick about why did he feel necessary to start this whole name calling in the first place ? I'd say that is the key point of this topic, not the moderator work of TomA.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Time to move on! He said, she said. I think my feelings are pretty clear on this issue and Tom has dealt with the matter how he sees fit.

Craig. You couldn't help yourself could you? Don't make me drag up your KL performance now!;)

ian

HHAHAHAHAH LOL ( I am really laughing ) Man that is funny. now (blow-up) the pic. in size and take a look at that Expression on his Face. PRICELESS ! ...:D:D:D
From the G0-Fast Vid. that was Posted that I saw This must have been 'edited', LOL Shit happens even to the best of them.

Still takes a lot to get a event closed early. Don't really care who it was but mail me or PM me what the dirty deed was ?

Watch it Ray!

It happens to the best....true....but it happens a lot more to the worst.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. I've never claimed to be good at BASE jumping but you can't fault me for effort.

ian

Uh oh! Now everyone knows what 'the Hippo' looks like.
You'll have Nick DG round your house breaking your windows.
DTM.

Any personal remarks aside Nick IS right. Go Fast was using BASE jumpers for publicity. So what? Are you people denying this? I mean come on. Was the day more about BASE jumping or more about selling a few more cans of GO Fast? It's not hard to figure out. At the same time I suppose you can say the jumpers used Go Fast to have a few free jumps. Who used who more? Go Fast for the money? Or the BASE jumpers for that extra ounce of life? What's worth more to you? Money? Moments you feel alive? Is BASE less sacred now? Is Go Fast! more extreme?

Hey Folks,

I wasn’t in Rotterdam. I just organized many legal stuff in the past. And to shrink it down what it is: BASE is jumping from fixed Objects. Nothing more or less.
And if the public or corporates can be used as a door opener whe should be thankfull for the permition to jump this particular location. And as we will be ambassadors of our sport in such situations, we carry a huge responsibility with us towards our fellow jumpers and the World BASE Community itself.
Everybody who is not able to respect this cicumstances and environment of someone elses stage just should step back and keep BASE in the world he/she may think it belongs.
I pitty the guy who needed to produce himself in Rotterdam that far to feel to be someone. A BASE jumper, who normally should hold enough self asteem, just should be wiser than this.
It’s always our own choice to use such events as a great chance to create a reasonable image and understanding instead of abusing this gift for our ego. It is never a useful tool infront of the society or thrill seeking media to be reckless, producing show offs or do things we never would do without audience.
But as BASE once started, weren’t we the people who really live(d) the dream of human flight? Are we meanwhile so far away that we only can care about our personal attention and therefore use BASE. And if tomorrow it will be fancy to throw yellow balls on red cars we do that?
I can’t tell but BASE is much more than just to serve ourselfs. It’s the idea of curiosity, adventure and the human desire of development. It’s the perfect picture of why we are alive.
We should keep this treasure by trying to understand the deeper meaning of its value. So don’t burn secret sites and don’t fuck up legal ones. And shut up telling what you did last night and don’t show all your videos around. Don’t take yourself to important pretending it is important for all others what you are doing. And of course make wise choices to whom you open the door into BASE. The consequences are coming up anyway.

Go BASE for your own and respect it
Siya
M.

great post, but what the #8217 for?

great post, but what the #8217 for?

it's for '
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM