frenchcloud

cypres2

Because of the increase in the Euro/Dollar ratio, the "street" price is now about $1300-$1375.

Untill the Euro drops against the dollay it should stay about there....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

>At some point, if it goes past $1,500 new skydivers will simply not use one.

I'm not sure if I buy that (pun). I think that the skydiving community is AAD (AOD?) dependant. I would even speculate that the higher price would lead new skydivers to think that it is a better ("if it costs more, it must be better") safety device.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

90% of the reserve that I packed last year contained AADs (mostly Cypres, but also a few FXC 12000s in student rigs).
The Australian Parachute Federation requires AADs until something like "C" certificate.
Several DZs in several different countries insist on AADs for everyone.
Face it folks, the days of jumping AAD-less will soon be over.
Hop on the AAD fashion wagon before you friendly local DZ insists that you wear an AAD.

Hop on the AAD fashion wagon before you friendly local DZ insists that you wear an AAD.

If you look at the mechanics of an AAD, it's basically a highly calibrated altimeter with a cutter and a chip to run it all. Yet it costs as much as a computer. That bothers me. I think $400 or $500 would be much more reasonable.

I don't see your logic? Are you saying that the company should sell the cypres for what it costs them to manufacture it (I would guess the parts cost that much)?

I bet that little computer to run it took many many man hours to program, test, reprogram, retest.. (you get the point).

Not trying to pick a fight, I just don't see your argument and where you came up with the $400-$500 price point.

-Rob

Edited to Add: I guess my point is that it is a computer; just not in the context you are talking about (personal computer) but I bet the computers that run aircraft, manufacturing lines, etc are just as small and cost a heck of a lot more than $1200).

Are you saying that the company should sell the cypres for what it costs them to manufacture it (I would guess the parts cost that much)?

There was a post earlier that said that the actual cost of the components to build a cypres were less than $100.

I understand there is labor, overhead and advertising.

My point is that cost doesn't mean a better product.
Perception of quality due to high price? maybe.

This is a somewhat specious argument. In any electronic device, the "component cost" is almost always very low, since 90% of electrical components are pretty standardized -- everyone uses them, so there's great economy of scale. Microcontrollers like 68HC11s cost almost nothing.

The problem is that systems design is hard, and requires skilled engineers. So does software development -- I don't know about you, but I don't want my AAD to run on VisualBasic that someone wrote in an evening! -- and that also costs money. I think if you include these costs as "components," you'd find that the cost has increased by quite a bit.

Just my two cents. ;)