base570

Oceans 13

Really weak BASE scene. [:/]

Dude ends up with what looks like a paraglider.....
These hollywoood people can spend millions on a movie but can't do 15 minutes of research on this?

Of course it WAS a fictitious building, a sweet one though!

These hollywoood people can spend millions on a movie but can't do 15 minutes of research on this?!

On this, or anything else?

Ever paid attention to a maths scene in a movie?
“Knowing love, I shall allow all things to come and go, to be as supple as the wind and take everything that comes with great courage. My heart is as open as the sky.” -- Kama Sutra

I watched that movie last night and couldn't help but turn to my girlfriend and laugh hysterically....

I thought it neat to see a rig on the guy and thought it would be cool to see a base jump in that movie, but then nothing and as the guy looks over the edge, a poorly computer animated paraglider flies away..... WEAK. Like I said, I almost cried laughing....

Ever paid attention to a maths scene in a movie?

I never paid attention to math in school when it mattered. Why hell would I pay attention to it during a movie?

I never paid attention to math in school when it mattered. Why hell would I pay attention to it during a movie?

>giggle< Sorry it's just my thing.

If it's not your thing, then replace it in my sentence with something that is. Doesn't matter what really.
“Knowing love, I shall allow all things to come and go, to be as supple as the wind and take everything that comes with great courage. My heart is as open as the sky.” -- Kama Sutra

Why?

Q1: If you have 27 jumpers organised for a load, and you would love to break the world record big way, and the world record is 33, how many more jumpers do you have to invite to break the record?

Q2: If you are climbing up an antenna, and you have 200 feet to go and you climb 100 feet a minute, and you see a cop car 3 km away which is travelling at 60 kmh, and your ground crew can delay them for 30 seconds, do you jump from where you are now, or have you enough time to climb to the top?

Q3: You find an object that has a protruding ledge 750 feet down which you cannot clear in normal freefall. It sticks out 510 feet. With a suit you move out 100 feet in the first 250 descent, and 200 feet for every 250 feet thereafter. Do you go for it?

Q4: You are on a really tight budget and you deperately want to do some jumping in Italy. Culturally, it is really polite to shout your hosts a meal and a drink when they show you around. The meal will cost around 20 Euros per person and drinks about 10. There are 4 people in the group and they will put you up for accommodation and drive you around too. You have 100 USD in your wallet. Are you going to offend your hosts? Do you have enough to keep them happy? Or are you going to pay for your own transport and accommodation and probably have to hitchhike to the exit point and find your own way?

Q5: etc

I think maths is VERY important in BASE jumping.

Reading, Riting, Rithmetic!!!!

:)

Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

my first thought as soon as i saw the hotel was BASE and then i saw the rig and i got really excited!

and then some lame ass cgi paraglider shit had my brother and i laughing really loud. i think everyone in the theater was confused why we were laughing.

great movie otherwise. you'd think they would have at least done a tad of research though.:S

pain is temporary, video is forever

you'd think they would have at least done a tad of research though.

If they went through the steps of getting a BASE rig, then trust me, they did their homeworks. And determined that for the 99.999999% of the world population which does not BASE jump, the shot looked better using some other equipment (or it was safer shot, whatever the reasoning was).

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Usualy they go to a warehouse with filmprops, and they just pick whatever resembles what they have in mind.

Or (if the paraglider is 3D) they probably had that model still in the computer, back from the Jurassic Park 3 paraglider basejumps;)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Try watching certain episodes of the TV show Alias - you'll get used to dodgy paraglider-like cgi effects!