worldsocold

wind down the guywire???What Do You Do???

just curious what any experienced "A" jumpers do when you experience wind ( a good amount of ) down the guywire.

i've alway's heard jump a 45 degree floater to the opposite wire???

Also and more importantly when do you say no to jumping a wind down the guywire situation???

thanks to all who respond!

later
NPS SUX ASS

For me it depends on my exit altitude if I will make the jump or not. Lower altitude jumps with wind down the wire I'm not a fan of and will usually climb down. Although one way to eliminate the wires would be to open below the last wire.
HIgher jumps are not really a problem since you can gain some airspeed and get away from the object. You can always track at a slight angle to keep your self in the middle of the quadrant... I would just use the something on the ground as a reference.
Exiting from an "a" at an angle, in my opinion, is not a good idea because it is not a 'normal' exit for us to perform and is subject to greater mistakes.... especially when you're nervous from the winds to start with. You probably won't be getting as far away from the "a" too with this type of push-off. Plus I'm thinking that heading performance will suffer more from having the winds coming across your body at a 90degree angle rather than coming more or less from behind you. You have more chance of a line over with a short delay and winds from behind though so choose which you'd like:P
One positive would be that winds down the wire are not going to push you into the wires they will only bring you closer to them and away from the main object, although I believe the wires are the 'main' object once you leave a guyed tower!

Jason

ps- on tall towers with winds down the wire I would only climb down if I thought the winds were a factor in making a LZ. But I can usually make that determination before I get to exit altitude.

exit altitude is 1050ish

sorry i should have said that.

i'm not a fan of the lower "A's" with guywires.

thanz 4 the info though. really appreciate it!

later
NPS SUX ASS

Low jump & winds down the wire, go home.

Tall, tracking jump, go for it.

Other than that, just put a ball gag in her mouth and party on until you here the safety word.

I recently jumped a 1000ft with 15(ish)mph winds down the wire, even had a 180, and it was no problem thanks to a decent track coupled with pulling low...

But slider down i would of climbed down

it depends.

i personaly would climb down if the ground wind was to strong in any direction, but other than that, depending on available LZs, (in CO the towers are built in million-acre LZs) i would jump with directly downwire winds. especialy if its at good tracking altitude.

and always check for shear layers/direction shears. sometimes the wind could be down the wire at exit, but perfect at opening altitude, and it could be perfect at exit, but into the tower at opening altitude.

1050ft, down the wire, climb down. winds change, you can save it for a better time. If all goes perfect, exit, track heading.... should not be a prob but if you screw up any of the 3 parameters you could be in major trouble. Never forget that it is only a sport. You need not jump in crap conditions. Ever. Only the most conservative people can consistently get close to the edge . Everything else is gambling.
take care,
space

My "regular" object is an 890ft A. I usually try for about a 5.5 sec delay. If you are comforable with the object (like 20+ jumps) and you've had an off-heading or two on it before, it's not an issue; otherwise yea, climb down. Wire strikes suck from what I've seen...

Hey.

I have about 400 A-jumps and in Sweden teh weather often is crap and strong winds in pitch black day-time and snow is common.

Anyway I guess there are good rules and you should probably climb down while the wind is down the wire.
I have jumped a lot of wire-jumps and that might be sub-optimal behaviour but still. Ill do it.

If you jump down the wire, the wind shouldnt be that strong I guess you jump slider up from 1000ft. Then its even more important not to have strong winds. Also do not take less than 5 secs freefall, you need your speed to create a better opening. I recomend 6 secs from 1000ft.

Never aim for floaters or 45 degree angles or anything like that. Aim straight forwad with a powerful push. You will need your separation from alla wires andobjects. Do as you are use to.

Finally, you will experience that your body turns up-wind after exit. Dont fight it in the exit. just let your self turn a little bit and then turn back out when you got some speed. Kicking your self around will create more problems than it helps preventing them.

Big A:s är pretty nice objects in the right contitions they are quite safe (what is safe?) Just be sure that the wind is where you want it. If winds are strong and iffy but jumpeable, note that FF-speed is a great help to prevent snevely and shitty openings. Plann a lower pull. Make sure that you are experienced enough to plan and calculate a controled lower pull. Dont be stupid and have fun!
/Martin - Team Bautasten of Sweden

just curious what any experienced "A" jumpers do when you experience wind ( a good amount of ) down the guywire.

Also and more importantly when do you say no to jumping a wind down the guywire situation???

thanks to all who respond!

later

Not trying to be crass, but I do the same thing I [should] do on EVERY jump:

evaluate ALL the conditions, including but not limited to wind velocity, GC or not, LZ, jumping mates, object specifics/type/location, gear and relative gear configuration, experience level, bad vibes, etc., and then make a well-informed decision about whether or not you should make the jump or back off it.

BASE isn't about preset formulas...if there is a "rule" that says whatever that 45 degree floater thing you mentioned for example, and you do it textbook and still hit the wire or the tower, you're still just as fucked. Just because your friend thinks it's OK--even if he makes a successful jump right before you--that doesn't make it right for you to jump. We're ALL alone in big surf.

$0.02
pope

thanx again to the very good recent variety of advice. ( diveout--martin rosen (swede power!)-AND pope) :)
seriously!!!

later

NPS SUX ASS

Though I have around 60 A jumps. What the hell is a "45 degree floater to the opposite wire???"?
Is not a floater where one backs off? 45 degrees to what? There is no opposite wire unless one is jumping a square guyed tower. Then it is one on the opposite side of the tower. Or what? Maybe I have been living in Yurp too long
take care,
space

just not exactly with your back to the wire is all (45). just so your eye's aren't aimed at the opposite wire and not exactly straight forward from center launching point. one hand on and one foot on. and one foot off and one hand off.just launch out that way?!?!?
and that is how it was explained it to me.

i actually did it off a crane not so long ago-- don't ask, too complicated!!!!!:o

later and no i haven't done the above off an "A". that's why i'm on here askin'.;)
NPS SUX ASS

1050ft, down the wire, climb down. winds change, you can save it for a better time. If all goes perfect, exit, track heading.... should not be a prob but if you screw up any of the 3 parameters you could be in major trouble. Never forget that it is only a sport. You need not jump in crap conditions. Ever. Only the most conservative people can consistently get close to the edge . Everything else is gambling.
take care,
space

agreed for sure.

i have about 450 A jumps. try to do as long of a delay as possible to provide as much vertical speed as possible relative to the horizontal wind speed. jump straight with a good horizontal launch as usual. the wind will tend to wind sock your canopy so your canopy will tend to open downwind. if you jump 45 degrees crosswind, then you may easily have a 180 with a half line twist. if winds are going down the left wire and are relatively strong, for example, and you have a 90 left, don't correct by turning right. correct by turning left, face into the wind, and continue the turn. if you turned to the right, the long arc path of the canopy will easily put you into a wire. when jumping terminal from an A in a very strong wind down the wire, you will have to fly your body like in a relative wind. you will have to compensate with your body flight because it will pitch you in ways that are really strange. with winds behind you and blasting, a horizontal launch can cause the wind to hit your feet and pitch you headdown, similar to a prop-blast a rear facing exit.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

i have about 450 A jumps. try to do as long of a delay as possible to provide as much vertical speed as possible relative to the horizontal wind speed. jump straight with a good horizontal launch as usual. the wind will tend to wind sock your canopy so your canopy will tend to open downwind. if you jump 45 degrees crosswind, then you may easily have a 180 with a half line twist. if winds are going down the left wire and are relatively strong, for example, and you have a 90 left, don't correct by turning right. correct by turning left, face into the wind, and continue the turn. if you turned to the right, the long arc path of the canopy will easily put you into a wire. when jumping terminal from an A in a very strong wind down the wire, you will have to fly your body like in a relative wind. you will have to compensate with your body flight because it will pitch you in ways that are really strange. with winds behind you and blasting, a horizontal launch can cause the wind to hit your feet and pitch you headdown, similar to a prop-blast a rear facing exit.

UH, WOW!! I now feel really dumb and in-experienced. thanx though. i guess "that's why i posted".

later and great insight. now i'm gonna be really scared next time! i'm not sure if knowledge is friend or foe. and if ignorance and luck is better????
NPS SUX ASS

knowledge is always better. relying on luck will only haunt you in the long run. once you follow the real rules of the game, your jumping abilities will greatly increase as well as your safety margin.

I would push off perpendicular to the wind (and the wire in question) or, if the wind is 20 knots, I'd go windsurf...

i've jumped in 60 mph winds but that is only for the most advanced A jumpers.

perpendicular to the winds is not the ideal launch direction based on personal experiences.

knowledge is always better. relying on luck will only haunt you in the long run. once you follow the real rules of the game, your jumping abilities will greatly increase as well as your safety margin.

it's funny the more stuff i learn the more i get scared. but i still jump. and when i still jump knowing more scary stuff that can go wrong, the better i feel when land and get away. it does make BASE more.....to know more for sure!!

later

NPS SUX ASS

mudvein, worldsocold is my favorite song. PM for further questions. I'm starting to gain interests in other things than BASE after going for it major hardcore for many, many years. I'm willing to pass the knowledge...

Call it what you want!!! I call it hiking with a HAPPY ENDING!!!

Gotta love a happy ending...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

you still miss jumping my A:P its 900ft but you wont see me climb it higher than 400ft:D

wind down the wire usaly is a bad idea,however if you know the place and the delays you can take from there it can be done,even as i would rather get the right winds..

jumping into the wind is BIG TIME BAD JUJU,get a 180 and you´ll be kissing the steel before you can scream no..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber