johan420

I have lost my nerve..

Hello johan420....How is your fight going?
I've heard this track and this words from Peter Gabriel and i must think, (realy don't know why....)on this Thread.

"When I allow it to be it has no control over me,
I own my fear so it doesn't own me"

Peter Gabriel, Darkness

hi,
actually...it`s starting too rolling now:)i have started too do 2way jump and it feels much better to be 2nd jumper, because i have a object(person) too look on..not only a empty edge..
thanks for all good advice...specially you BASE283;)
the last 2 week i done about 10jumps...and some solo`s...but i`m still working on it..

Re: Looking out on an empty edge.

Early on I used to find that sometimes on exit I'd tend to focus so much on looking out at a heading reference point that I'd get tunnel vision and lose my spatial reference - that is the awareness of 3-dimension that is needed to get aware of my body position throughout exit and into freefall.

Also the demons in my head would start chattering and going over the gear and the what-ifs.

What I found helps is after referencing the "straight-ahead" I look around before checking back straight ahead before exiting (this helps with 3D perspective) and also I find that talking or saying something as I exit brings my mind back to earth and into the present.

It may be something like "Cya guys" or "Aussie BASE" or "Oh Shit, My Bridle" or I may chose to count down in a different language like German, French or Greek - I just find this really helps take away the chatter of the mind and stops unnecessary mental energy used - after all, it doesn't relly require that much mental effort to do the physical things required to exit correctly and enjoyably - too much focus to the given task I find is detrimentral.

g.
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"

Johan420,

I am going through the exact same thing as you right now. All through my career of jumping I didnt have any major problems. Last year in KL I had a strike--no injuries. About a month ago I had a VERY low pull in Eskensdal and only had about 1 sec. canopy ride before crashing into the trees----no injuries. A few weeks ago, I had a 180 on the already dodgy Euromast tower in Rotterdam. Got hung up in the ropes used for rappeling and had to be rescused down----again no injuries. My luck bucket may be running out as well.

Although it may not sound like it, I am normally a very conservitive jumper. I just made a few bad decisions that nearly cost me my life. With that said, I am taking an indefinite break from the sport until I "feel" it again.

Since I am dealing with the same things you are, my best advise is to not push it too hard. Get your head straight then you will be back into your groove.

You should know the old saying, "there are bold BASE jumpers and there are old BASE jumpers however, there are no old, bold BASE jumpers".

Cheers my friend-

wow....1 sec CP-ride, close call:o.....hope you get back on your horse again...take care!
thanks for caring:)