TomAiello

Locals Database

whatever. /worthless chatter.

And actually I have just thought, this is obviously only relevant to the USA....... so I dont actually care what you guys do..

B|:P

whatever. /worthless chatter.

And actually I have just thought, this is obviously only relevant to the USA....... so I dont actually care what you guys do..

:D Actually, the first person to log into the test version listed their location as London, UK. :P

As of now, I doubt this will be included in the initial BASEjumper.com platform.

I think the idea I like the best so far is BrianFry's idea of basically creating a set of "mailing lists" for various areas, where you can "transmit" to the entire list without knowing who is on the list, or how many of them there are.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Pope: send a PM to andrewkarnowski, he's making something just like that.... maybe you'd be interested
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

I'm with Mac here. What exactly is the problem that needs fixing? If you see a big antenna and there's a DZ not a million miles away, there's probably a local.

Most characters I've met in BASE are uniquely resourceful types. That's what makes the "community" interesting. Why fix a theoretical problem and sacrifice what we have? We all know where the sensitive high-traffic areas are (or could easily find out) after all!
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

I can't believe that the people on dz.com don't have real friends, who have other friends, who have friends, etc, who can steer you to the people who are locals. If you went to the Perrine for your FJC, or made buddies with TomA, you should know someone within 1,000 miles of the next place you are taking a weekend trip with your rig, or at least have a name of someone how can guide you to the next buddy of a buddy. Its called REFERENCES and CONTACTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't even keep track of the jumpers in my own town who think they are qualified to teach other jumpers here. And then those come back from the Perrine!

The internet and this board isn't the solution to all of BASEs problems, keep the personal network active, off the internet!
Gravity Research Institute

Why not make it like something like on myspace where you put the zip where you are searching for then how many mile radius from there you want. Then it will show how many people are regesterd in that area. Send a message then wait for a reply.

Its called REFERENCES and CONTACTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey 935... how did we meet again?

(sorry, just playing devil's advocate)

The comparison of BASE and MySpace makes me chuckle.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Why not make it like something like on myspace where you put the zip where you are searching for then how many mile radius from there you want. Then it will show how many people are regesterd in that area. Send a message then wait for a reply.

that is the most ridiculous idea i have ever heard. you are done talking.

p.s. are you a cop?
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

cops?
where?
let's be serious. unless you are jumping in the middle of town there should be low bust factors. i'm not sure how it is everywhere else, but when i've visited other sites (excluding high pop. densities) it's always chill. why are there so many concernes about sharing sites. i know we don't want some noob getting hurt, but why would we even be talking to people about sites that are burnable and bustable. you can only share what is sharable.
and, the police or feds or whatever have way more important things to do than to hack into some non-threatening BASE site. nor would they ever go out of there way just to reallocate forces to stop BASE jumping. talk about delusions of grandure, we're cool, not national threats. not anywhere i've ever been anyway.
so. . . let's all learn to share a little, we all suffer the same site issuses (some hotter than others, yes), but most importantly we are all (or most of us) BASE jumpers who just want to jump, and occasionally with some variety of other sites.
SO PLAY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Balls deep!
FENCE!!!!
Calmer than you are.
www.launchtelevision.com

the 'are you a cop?' thing was a joke.

i agree that cops have much better things to do than bust jumpers, but that doesnt mean that their priorities dont occasionally get mixed up. cops like to be cops, and they get sick of the same old traffic tickets and domestic violence cases, and the opportunity to do a little sleuthing to investigate some report of base jumping would make many of them rub their hands together with glee.

there have been cases (not too far from you) where somebody was spotted on a jump and weeks later, a retired jumper got a phone call from the authorities... if they could just look on a website and see how many jumpers were listed within a given area, it might make them think it happens more often than they previously thought (and if they knew how to contact this retired jumper, then they must have had some kind of exposure to BASE in the past, so they weren't completely oblivious)

i do agree that it would take a pretty big incident to actually prompt authorities to subpoena the entire database.. but the current system works well as it is; in fact the current system has worked quite well for all the times i've visited your turf, without any internet databases. thanks for all the fun btw :)

Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

no prob bob
we here, love to have jumpers come in and visit.
this site has always provided everyone with enough info to get hold of one of us. BASE725 and i would love to anyone and everyone call us up and come on out.
i do recall certain people causing problems, but that person is a bit rambunctious. they automatically thought that since thay were a jumper that they could just jump what ever. we have since talked to several people about that. just as long as they know that there is a time and a place, and always contact someone nearby since they know us.
back to cops though. not including downtown and NPS, all of the interactions reported to me have been the basic run offs. cops don't even know what to do with a jumper especially if they just saw the jump. hell, we had some friends jump an 1100' tower and the cops pulled them over and the mayor asked them to come back and jump for the local festival. sure, i'm talking about being out in the middle of nowhere, but we are discussing the what-nots of bringing noobs or any visitor to an object. so, why not choose objects like that tower. we don't have to take people we don't know or trust anywhere that you might hold sacred. just be friendly and share. i believe i mentioned that before.
SHARE!!!!!
if we don't learn to share then noobs and "don't give a shitters" will just go out and do what they want and ruin it for everyone. if you teach them the right way then we can preserve the well being of our sport. maybe this is something that should be included in a FJC. when we do FJCs around here that is the first thing the noob learns. paranoia or awareness. know the object and it's surroundings like you know your rig. if you don't know either one very well, then you have no business trying. yes, for the vets scoping and jumping are not always that in depth, but why not teach it in order to teach. . . here's the big word of the day. . .RESPECT!!!! this is something noobs and occasionally visitors take for granted. what happened to the "when in rome. . ." philosophy?
Balls deep!
FENCE!!!!
Calmer than you are.
www.launchtelevision.com

I definitely wasn't saying anything about not sharing; anyone who comes to my area and posts here looking for locals will surely be contacted and shown around to an object or two (unless they seem like a complete jackass).

In fact, you guys need to round your crew up for a weekend and get your asses up here to play for a few days :P

But that's exactly what I'm trying to say; the system already works... why go through all this effort just to fix what isn't broken?

Thats a really cool story about the mayor btw... does that mean that the WDD wasn't the first festival in the area that had a BASE demo?

Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

Tom, And all the readers of this thread. I have a novel way. Actually it is only logic. If you want to BASE in Norway for example. Contact the Norwegian BASE association. In Germany? Contact the German BASE association. Italy? you guessed it. The Italian BASE association. Clever aint I.
Get your crap together (Hint, association) and you get to do stuff like skyscaper day, 9 buildings in one day and still do your illegal jumps as a bonus. Americans have been talking about doing something like this for about 20 years. Get off your ass and do something. Tom and Jason can only do a little as individuals. Work together towards a goal. Americans are lagging.
that is my take on the scene of a locals database.
take care,
space

I'm sure the proposed system would keep names private and would be kept on a server outside the US. Even still, I agree this is a BAD IDEA. The dz.com servers are in Canada, but there are Canadian jumpers to worry about too.

Who wants to be grouped, categorized, and sorted in yet another system... not me!

What if law enforcement signs up as a local jumper?

Ultimately I prefer getting in contact with someone through the small world social network of friends and not an impersonal database. Its not just about the jump, its who you're jumping with (if you're jumping with anyone at all).

-a
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

The population of Norway is HALF of just Los Angeles County in California, USA. Trying to unite all the jumpers in the USA is much more difficult. There's too many politics surrounding most anybody that tries to put in the effort. An association to fight for access is great, but not at the expense of creating another USPA.

With that said, the ABP (Alliance of Backcountry Parachutists) is still quietly plugging away. The ABP is working at making getting NPS lands to offer fair and equal access.

A "building day" is a long ways away in the US as some cities are creating local laws specifically against BASE jumping.

-a
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Work together towards a goal

The Communist BASE Manifesto...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

The population of Norway is HALF of just Los Angeles County in California, USA. Trying to unite all the jumpers in the USA is much more difficult. There's too many politics surrounding most anybody that tries to put in the effort. An association to fight for access is great, but not at the expense of creating another USPA./reply]

It is not necessary to unite all the jumpers. No national assns have done this anyway. Not even the USPA.
take care,
space

you can always ask your friends about their contacts, or friends of your friends, or any skydivers/basejumpers from your dz who's travelling a lot.

or why don't you want to use the forum -- like many times before: if somebody's travelling he will ask for the help of locals and people who wants to meet and guide will reply or PM and locals who doesn't want to meet and guide will keep silent.

I mean even if the database will be created where will be the same number of less experienced jumpers, local outsiders, siteburners and brainless adrenaline junkies as on every skydiving or base forum in the world.
And you never know what kind of jumper are the local ready to help you unless you have recomendations from people you know or know the jumper yourself.
Database in unpersonal but base include a lot of personal stuff.
Between two evils always pick theone never tried