meekerboy

Weakening new velcro

I have just bought a second hand velcro rig and replaced all the hook velcro on the container. It seems extremely strong and I now think having chatted to a few people that it needs to be weakened.

Does anyone have any tips for gauging how to do this and know what sort of resistance I should be looking for when it is weakened sufficiently?

Around 18lbs opening force I believe.

Just prime it before you jump unless it's a terminal jump. It will eventully start to wear.
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

Try this (I stole it from a manufacturer who ships them this way).

Buy some pile velcro in 1/2" width. Cut two strips the length of your shrivel flap. Use them to cover the inside half inch or so of your velcro, placing the shrivel flap over them (and mating it to the remaining, exposed, half inch or so).

What kind of jumps are you doing with the rig.

Velcro usually "feels" like it takes much more force than pins to open in a table test, but it's also usually not something to worry about very much on an average jump.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I got this rig primarily for the canopy and will find a pin rig in the not too distant future.

The rig will be used most for sub 3 second delays, definately not aerials or wingsuit.

Is it true Tom that there are different grades of velcro strengthness? This work was done by my local rigger.

IIs it true Tom that there are different grades of velcro strengthness? This work was done by my local rigger.

There are definitely different kinds of velcro, made by different manufacturers ("velcro" is a trademark of one of the manufacturers). I'm sure there are variations in strength and durability, but I'm not familiar with the various different kinds, or which is stronger/weaker or longer lasting.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

the hook velcro

Also known as 'cro'... though I suspect if you actually
called it that, you would get a lot of blank stares...

get a fish scale and do a pull test on the bridle.. tell us how much force is required to open the thing.

do this for a few different pull orientations.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Use the 1/2" strips...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Thanks for the tips folks. I have already started to weaken the velcro and I am getting some blanking strips.

Blanking strips are good technique when packing reserves, particularly seat reserves. That darn hook velcro will decimate the canopy fabric. Just like sitting next to a woman with stockings and you have some velcro on your pants or something. God, this creates terribly socially awkward moments.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174