dan_iv

weather.com link wingsuit ?BASE?

Very nice videography, but the tailwing flutter was ugly.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

I am still nw in the sport and would like to fly wingsuits when I am ready. I did notice the tail flapping. Why is that. I know this should be on the wingsuit forum but it was mentioned here.

I did notice the tail flapping. Why is that.

the tailwing was flapping like a motherfucker for some of the flight because he was flying dirty to get down close to the slope. I actually thought he was pretty clean and not flying erratic at all. I liked that video.

Chuck

THanks for the reply. I live in Chamonix and know what he was flying over. It was some great flying as there is no room for messing up and no landing fields for a long ways from his flight path. Deffinetly some good flying. Thanks again.

I did notice the tail flapping. Why is that.

the tailwing was flapping like a motherfucker for some of the flight because he was flying dirty to get down close to the slope. I actually thought he was pretty clean and not flying erratic at all. I liked that video.

Chuck

I have not seen Scott Blands legwing(whatever suit he's flying) flap lilke that in any of the videos posted. You have no doubt seen numerous people fly dirty at close proximity. Will you agree that the flap from flying dirty occurs maybe every 5-10 secs not 10 times every sec? Dave is flying with his legs almost extended and relaxing by letting the arms up.

The tail will flap like that (as seen in the video) if the length of the suit is too long(or the suit is too loose around the torso...like it was measured with winter clothes on and now its summer and a few layers are missing). It can be seen when Dave is talking on the radio how there is slack around the body area of the suit. When the legs are done up and he is ready to exit, the slack is gone. Well, not gone, it has been pulled downwards because of the legwing being done up and the sitting position.

Kris.

this footage was from a Warren Miller film a couple years, back. there is some more there than made the WM cut, but some missing too.