Zoter

Static Line attachment

What 'knots' do you use to secure your static lines to the anchor point...when you cant attach your breakcord directly to the anchor point.

I usually larkshead a one piece strop to the anchor point rather than using an open ended piece of rope/material

The last S/L I did using an open ended piece of climbing rope as the S/L, on collecting the S/L later... I noticed the knots (surgeons and mulitple overhand knots).. had 'slipped' a little....not a lot...but enough to get me thinking.

What knots do you use?

I've never attached break cord directly to the object.

I prefer to use a carry away SL setup. If I think the carry away SL will get hung up or slide excessively, then I attach a piece of 800# or 900# Dacron to the object with a surgeons knot to close it up and tie my break cord to the dacron runner.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

In that situation, I prefer to larkshead a sewn climbing runner onto the attachment. However, that requires that I retrieve the runner later.

The best method I've seen so far is the Tattoo Buckaroo method, which basically uses two overhand knots in the bridle to wrap the anchor point, using no additional pieces and using the bridle as the "sturdy" piece, with the break cord itself hanging in midair.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The best method I've seen so far is the Tattoo Buckaroo method, which basically uses two overhand knots in the bridle to wrap the anchor point, using no additional pieces and using the bridle as the "sturdy" piece, with the break cord itself hanging in midair.

I've tried this route before, but it offers no seperation of the bridle from the object...which I guess isn't a big deal on a lot of stuff but I still like to have my bridle as far away as possible from eveything snaggable.

You lost me here....could you explain that setup again please?

I'll try to do it after lunch (a couple hours), but I probably want to write it up and attach some photos. Maybe someone can do a better job explaining it before then. If not, I'll get back to it later today.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Not quite. The PC and the remaining bridle need to hang over the edge, so they can't snag and/or tear being whipped around after the break cord separates.

You can also put in a rapide link (or carabiner) at the forward knot, and tie loops in the trailing knot, at home, to make setup faster at the exit point.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

well... yea.. obviously.

i knew somebody would mention that, there also isn't anything to jump off of in my rendition ;-)

OK I get it......but thats not really practical for me .....
the only anchor point is way back from the edge....with any type of setup where the bridal is on/near the anchor point....there is simply too much ground between the anchor point and exit point for it to be 'safe'
hence definatley needing a length of static line .

So back on topic....what knot would /do you use if you are attaching an open piece of rope/material to the anchor point as a static line ??

Also in the examples supplied....dont you get significant damage to the bridal over time ( in the area between the breakcord attachments ?? )
I could see that part of bridal being pulled taught under loading and sliding about a bit under tension on the anchor point in the microseconds before the breakcord rips.

The pic I posted is my best guess at what Tom is talking about and need to get him to confirm it. I have not jumped that set up.

I use climbing tape (Tubular webbing) with a Fig 8 knot to form a loop at each end. Fig8's are very strong and easy to tie but can be a bitch to get out.

If my anchors are in anyway suspect I back them up as per a 2 or 3 anchor climbing belay. If you are worried that you knot might slip leave a longer tail or for extra security put a couple of half hitches in the tail so it can't slip.

look here for picures:
http://www.indoorclimbing.com/Figure_8_Knot.html

Greeny

here is a "rendition" of what we use around here
i have done both and they work just fine
also, i do not recommend using anything other than breakcord. . .we used plastic tie wraps a couple of times
and in the winter they froze and broke early
the tubing is nylon climbing tubing
as for knots. . .use a knot that does not slide
and obviosly does not come undone
as long as the cord holds itself it will
break with its preset pressure
in this case no one knot will do better than the other
just as long as the cord is tied securely to itself
and, to prevent pilot snags. . . just hold em' in your hand until you clear the object and allow the cord to do the rest. this is something i deal with constantly on our 170' bridge. and it all seems to work
Balls deep!
FENCE!!!!
Calmer than you are.
www.launchtelevision.com

Is this Picture any closer?

Yes. I usually loop the break cord on top (for easier visibility while rigging), but I don't see any functional difference.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I dont like that setup,looks to me that you easy can get burn damegede to your bridel.. i rather ruin my carry on sl.. its cheaper..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Hey Zoter,

FYI --- I never could access those files.

As for securely attaching to an achor that is some
distance from the exit point. Couldn't you make
a line out of some 550 cord and then attach your
80lb. break-cord to that line?

This of course is not based on experience, so I hope
other guys will chime in, but since 550 cord is relatively
cheap you could use one per jump if necessary, it is
rated for way more than the 80+ pounds of resistance
you need, and making a lenght of it exactly the size
needed would be simple.

I'd probably make a loop on each end so you can quickly
slip knot / lark's head / half hitch it to the anchor and
to your static line set-up.

As for the knots, well the climber's figure 8 would work
but my natural inclination would be to use a surgeon's
knot followed by an over hand knot. Maybe a climber
can confirm wether this would be good or bad.

After re-reading the thread I saw that Hydroguy and Tom A
both suggested very similiar solutions, only they indicated
using a more stout runner than 550 paracord, maybe for
a good reason.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

Your slip knot with loops on both ends would mean your runner is made of a single length of material.

Tom's sewn and larksheaded runner or my Dacron loop would have two lengths of material, or double the strength (minus the degradation of the knot). Same principle as what is going on with the break tape. I like the black Dacron, because if it gets left behind a little black string loop at a construction site is pretty non-alarming.