sangiro

Change is in the air....

Hey all,

While I'm more than happy to host the BASE community here on Dropzone.com I've received a lot of requests over the years to set up a site similar to this, but for BASE jumpers only. I've always thought it to be a good idea but never had the time to actually make it happen. We've been working away at this over the last few months and I'm happy to say we're pretty close to wrapping it up and launching the site.

I'll provide more detail as we get closer to the event. A few thoughts:

1) All the posts in the BASE Zone will be migrated over to the new site
2) Your account (username/password) will be migrated over so you can log in there with the same info as here
3) Your Dropzone.com account will continue to exist and you can use it as always
4) Private Messages and e-mail will not be migrated over
5) The BASE Zone will be shut down on Dropzone.com. A link to the forum will remain up but traffic will be directed to the new site.

The functionality on the new site will be similar to what we have on Dropzone.com. The site is actually based on the Rockclimbing.com platform, so browsing around there should give you a good idea of the types of features and functionality you should expect to see.

I'm hoping we will get this out within the next 2 weeks. Just wanted to give you a heads-up to set expectations. More to come. :)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

damn you sangiro...

just as i get in to base jumping and start working on a platform like that, you have to come up with something.

HAHAHA Once again we are the red headed bastard children of gravity based air sports.
So now we are going to be sitting at a different table than the rest of the family...are we really that bad?B|

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

While I'm more than happy to host the BASE community here on Dropzone.com I've received a lot of requests over the years to set up a site similar to this, but for BASE jumpers only.

I don't get it. What is the point of separating the boards? Wouldn't this just reinforce the elitist "we are totally different than and separate from skydiving" attitude? While of course I can see there are some differences, I don't see how forcing a separation will be healthy for anyone.
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

The two forums will still be linked to each other, at the outset.

There has been some discussion of creating a unified login (same login for this forum and that forum, and potentially even for RC.com, with one user database).

Some advantages of this approach include:

1) Bringing in different moderators (hopefully with the result of reducing complaints about bias).

2) Splitting the BASE forum out into sub-forums (like a technical forum and a chit-chat forum) to hopefully clear some of the channels of communication a bit, while still allowing enough banter for people to inject some personality into their postings.

3) Creation of other potentially useful functionality (like a voluntary database of local contacts in various regions) that wouldn't really fit into the DZ.com framework.

edit to add:

4) Clearing the ban list, and starting from scratch. This can be a new forum, with everyone getting a fresh start.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

WooHoo!!! 'Bout, damn time!!
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

BASE jumper only board/database >> anybody board/database.

that's my only concern about this new thing, and why I prefer your database thingy.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

BASE jumper only board/database >> anybody board/database.

that's my only concern about this new thing, and why I prefer your database thingy.

Maybe Andrew will enlighten us on how he plans to filter out the posers.

It's the internet, people making up a BS background isn't a new concept.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

it be something around knowing multiple people...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I think it's personal reference.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

and meeting them in person, and jumping with them perhaps?
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

and meeting them in person, and jumping with them perhaps?

Perhaps... (holds pinky to corner of mouth) :P
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Is there a chance mic will run it or at least be a mod?:P

Leroy

Is there a chance mic will run it or at least be a mod?:P

Do you mean Mick K???
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I think it's personal reference.

close.

personal reference and credential system. entirely user driven so there is no moderation needed... a self moderating community, similar to the real world base.

i guess i just have to program faster now.

a self moderating community, similar to the real world base.

HAH! And we can see how well that works...

then again, it seems to work just fine for those of us without sponsors, FJC's, our own wingsuit forums, close proximity to (popular) legal bridges, or large volumes of sand in our vaginas B|

edit: unfortunately that last item doesn't apply to one particular pussywhipped redheaded jumper who missed out on the wang dang doodle festivities :P
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

I don't get it. What is the point of separating the boards? Wouldn't this just reinforce the elitist "we are totally different than and separate from skydiving" attitude?

I mean this respectfully, so I hope you can take it that way, but aren't you a major proponent of the whole "Skydiving isn't BASE. I'm not a skydiver; I'm a BASE jumper." thing?

I happen to like skydiving. In fact, I think there are a lot of people who enjoy both skydiving and BASE jumping (maybe you are one?) and from that point of view I agree with you that I don't see a need to separate the boards.

I have learned a lot from both BASE and from Skydiving.

There are inter-changable things in both.

there is very- NON interchangable things in both.

I dont really enjoy the people that are against one or the other.

both sports have the biggest assholes i have ever seen, short of paragliding.

personaly, i vote the boards stay the same.

was the USPA paying people off to get rid of BASE jumpers? i know they dont control this board entirely, but they seem to have a big hand up the ass of all skydiving puppets out there. no offense meant to anyone in particular.

I mean this respectfully, so I hope you can take it that way, but aren't you a major proponent of the whole "Skydiving isn't BASE. I'm not a skydiver; I'm a BASE jumper." thing?

Heh! I'm not a BASE jumper, and I don't expect to be one for quite some time. But yeah, I do see a difference between skydiving and BASE. And yeah, it is elitist. What's wrong with being elitist? ;)

I'm thinking this through some more and am starting to see some good reasons to separate the boards. I'm going to keep an open mind though, and see what happens...
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

I don't get it. What is the point of separating the boards?

how 'bout these...
- the sports do differ. a separate website permits a more specialized focus.

- if BASE continues to grow as it has, the on-line presence needs room for growth.

- it can combine the best aspects of other concepts. possibly salvage the best of BASEwiki and The List for example.

- it ought to be sought out, not tripped over. a separate website might subconsciously warn/invoke/indicate a change of thinking/attitude.

- it may NOT work. users tend to vote with their mouse.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Seems like a strange move; BASE is an offshoot of skydiving and was developed by skydivers who loved to skydive. Can't change your history, but may limit crossover participation...

BASE is an offshoot of skydiving...

You sure it's not the other way round? Where's NickDG when you need him? ;)

Sure there's cross over. There's cross over between a lot of very different activities. Of course there are people who participate in both. In the end this is what it comes down to for me:

Do BASE jumpers believe they are a community unto themselves, or are you just part of the skydiving community?

If it's the latter, I'll stop coding tonight. If you feel you're part of your own community, then here's your own place to hang out. Go, don't go. Like someone else said - you get to vote with your mouse. :)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

here's a simple suggestion. leave the two forums intertwined.

I thought part of the purpose of the base zone on dorkzone was to allow a place for wanna be base jumpers to communicate.

so, create a new site just for base... add functionality to it. but leave a forum that can be used and accessed from both sites. you're already using the same database for users, i'm sure it wouldn't be that hard. *shrug*