diablopilot

Are congratulations in order?

oh my god i had no idea base jumping was dangerous
that was crazy I think im going to quit jumping

Quite frankly, Nick did a hell of a job getting that canopy flying and not getting severely hurt.

Sounds like he could have done a much better job by not inducing a line over durring set up.

Had he practiced the set up to identify the possible issues? Did he have a GC that could check and verifly his set up prior to launch?

Or did he "knucklehead" it.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

He has done this jump before and magot told him "Don't go MF!" but he thought magot was just screwing around. There were other people standing near that could/should of seen the issue, and he might have listened if they were yelling at him. But either they didn't notice the problem, hadn't seen the jump executed before, or assumed "Don't go MF!" really meant don't go.

I was watching from the sidelines and didn't see the the malfunction until he was under canopy spinning. I really expected him to pull it out without a hitch or land in the water, but by the time he cleared the twists his choices were few. He made the right choices after he left the object and saved himself a trip to the hospital. He probably could have braced for impact a little more and prevented his knee from hitting him in the ribs, but he thought he was going to hit a lot harder.

There really wasn't much luck involved in this incident regardless of what others are saying.

Glad the jumper made it out ok.

Obviously the lesons that needed to be learned have been talked about here. Good comunication with a support crew when doing a stunt, and proper planning.

I don't know the jumper in question, but bet they will consider those things next time.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

it seems to me that the kid messed up and didnt do a good pre-jump setup and check.

it also seems like he did a good job of bettering and landing the mal though.

Im sure he learned from it.

Yeah, he had a couple of days of pain and setting around to think about it. He kept telling me I should try it, but I just wasn't comfortable with the details of the jump.

As for the "Don't go MF!" we were talking we should have a safe word that means no joke. Something like "Watermelon" but then everyone would just start joking about that. BASE jumpers are a pretty twisted group.

Off topic a little, but I was standing on the bridge watching some people exit and dealing with their fears, legs and hands shaking before exit, thinking WTF do we do this for. Then sitting in the boat and watching people get on with the shakes happening I thought again WTF! It's no wonder it's so hard for people to understand what we do and why.

WTF! It's no wonder it's so hard for people to understand what we do and why.***

I am wondering why some do want to, compete in swimming? (up and down) Ice skating (around and around the same way) smoke dope all day (so cool) and so on you get it!