mfob

Chute Malfunction I.B. Perrine

Good thing no one was hurt but what are some of the details on what happened? Does anyone know?

10:27 a.m. -- Perrine Bridge BASE jumper escapes serious injury despite chute malfunction
- The Associated Press
Edition Date: 05/29/07

TWIN FALLS -- A BASE jumper springing from Twin Falls, Idaho's Perrine Bridge escaped a chute malfunction with just minor injuries over the weekend.
He and another person were jumping late Sunday evening when his chute didn't open properly.

A witness says, "He spun in his chute ... and then he just caught -- hovered across the river and ... Just got slammed into the wall."

But the man -- whose name wasn't released -- was able to walk down from the north side of the Snake River, swim the river with his parachute, and then climb up the opposite canyon rim to safety.

Memorial Day weekend generally brings dozens of BASE jumpers into Twin Falls. A year ago, a woman was killed and another man injured in mishaps on this busy weekend event.

A BASE jumperspringing

wtf...I thought you only used that in dutch/german.

he is a moron. You can climb out of the north side easier and MUCH faster than you can the LZ side.
I would know.

This is a total over-reaction by the media. It's made it into the newspaper and the local television, but was basically an uneventful out landing with no injury. The jumper apparently had line twists, recovered from them relatively low, and landed on the north (opposite side from the normal landing area) side. He then swam back across the river and hiked out.

The real story here, for jumpers, is probably that the press is eager to report on jumping accidents--so eager that they are reporting this non-incident as if something major happened.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Tom,

I am not sure I understand. My understanding from the people in the parking lot was that Nick broke both his femurs on Saturday, Jason actually died last year, and you have a six million dollar colon that makes that steve austin sound when you poop. te-te-te-te-te.

Maybe the reality is that you are under reporting these incidents and that the Media is actually correct.

I also hear that Abbie did a 1 second under a round losing to the CDN fella who actually did 1.5 seconds delay!!! Just amazing!

Shhh. It's all part of my nefarious plot to take over the world. I am using my super-duper moderator-twin powers to censor all mention of the real accidents from this board. :P

And those Canadians are sick...just sick...the way they dragged a year-dead body down here and through it off the bridge. Have they no decency?

P.S. If you're wondering, my super-duper moderator-twin is Skin. I'm sure we'll get an update from him soon...

-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

a six million dollar colon that makes that steve austin sound when you poop. te-te-te-te-te.

it's just a rubber asshole stitched on. Not that expensive.

I also hear that Abbie did a 1 second under a round losing to the CDN fella who actually did 1.5 seconds delay!!! Just amazing!

its good we had round two...
http://www.gravitypimps.com/052707x0064.jpg
red/yellow - chris canuck
green/gray - adam lanes
aqua/purple - abbie 'dr. splatula' mashaal

:)
thanks for the jumps chief and good meeting you. come vist again soon.

kthxbye,
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

This article had me swearing out loud just a bit and I'm usually pretty quiet. "got slammed"...gotta love the obligatory whuffo quote. I'm going to write a letter to somebody, don't know who...but it's gonna happen.

Anybody got any ideas on where to send a letter, explaing: Please don't report when (nothing significant) happens within our sport and community?

Thanks-
Diveout Dan Self
Society of Professional Journalists outstanding graduate, 2001 U of O school of Journalism & Communication