freeflychris

I Made my first jump.

Just made my first 4 jumps this week at Twin Falls. Had a great time untill I got a $300 dollar speeding ticket on they way back to Vegas. The pic below was my 3 rd jump and first time going stowed.

Congrats.

Just a quick question.. Why the helmet ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

You know he has to video his super cool jumps! That or he is being safe?

PS congrats on 1st jump... next time try not to look so constipated...

lol just joking
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

congrats!

how did you like the experience?
highs?
lows?
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Good job dude.

...And way to drain my last swallow of Patron - ya fucker.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

Just a quick question.. Why the helmet ?

Just a quick question....why not wear a helmet?

Just because the chance of an object strike is small, doesn't mean you won't fall over on landing and crack your skull on any number of rocks. Sometimes things don't go to plan and you have to land your canopy in less than ideal places. When this happens you might be glad of the helmet and pads.

Just a quick question....why not wear a helmet?

Just because the chance of an object strike is small, doesn't mean you won't fall over on landing and crack your skull on any number of rocks. Sometimes things don't go to plan and you have to land your canopy in less than ideal places. When this happens you might be glad of the helmet and pads.

Exactly what I wanted to read...

So now, why a helmet.. and shorts ? :S like riding a bike in leathers but nothing on the head, or with a helmet and in shorts.

I understand that the landing area might be rocky and not super "landing friendly". So why just protect the head and not protect the rest a minimum ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

[So now, why a helmet.. and shorts ? :S like riding a bike in leathers but nothing on the head, or with a helmet and in shorts.

Because your head (and it's contents) are a lot more important than your legs or knees?

I strongly advocate wearing protection for BASE jumps wherever possible, but a helmet is the first and most important piece of protection. If you're only going to have one piece of armor, it should definitely be the helmet.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Your bones can break many times but your brain can only break once.

Edit: What were your feelings before you jumped and what were your feelings after you landed? Was it what you thought it would be ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Although I know of at least one person with more metal in his skull than I listened when I was a teenager, I reckon Piisfish knows that head injury is bad juju. I think his question was more about wearing a helmet versus wearing full body "armor". Legitimate question I would think, as long as it remains non-judgemental.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Although I know of at least one person with more metal in his skull than I listened when I was a teenager, I reckon Piisfish knows that head injury is bad juju. I think his question was more about wearing a helmet versus wearing full body "armor". Legitimate question I would think, as long as it remains non-judgemental.

I was giving a reason why people tend to wear helmets w/out wearing body armor (the consequences of breaking your brain is usually worse than breaking a bone and wearing a helmet to protect your brain is usually easier than wearing body armor to protect your bones).
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

the consequences of breaking your brain is usually worse than breaking a bone and wearing a helmet to protect your brain is usually easier than wearing body armor to protect your bones

I couldn't agree more. I was merely speculating that the reasoning behind Piisfish inquiry was why would the jumper use such partial protection? Knowing that full protection is, other than for myself thanks to bliss and my hurtproof abilities, not available, what makes one decides on the level of body armor (including helmet) needed/acceptable, depending on the object, conditions, etc...? Legitimate inquiry I reckon.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Edit: What were your feelings before you jumped and what were your feelings after you landed? Was it what you thought it would be ...

How hard is it to catch the sarcasm ?

The dude is wearing lowcut sneakers and shorts with no gear but a helmet - I'm fairly certain the comment was aimed at the lack of gear expected on a low timer/student.

Ok so yes I am a low timer. Yes I did have low cut sneakers on and shorts I didnt have knee pads on but I did have a fucking helmet. In my mind that was the most important thing I could have had on other than the rig. Next time I go I might have knee pads I might not but I will promise you I will still have a helmet on. Ok so enought of this crap. So now to answer your other questions I had a great time I am already planning on going down there in a few weeks. when I was out on the edge the only thing I was really thinking was this is going to be fucking great and dont fuck up lol.

I didnt have knee pads on but I did have a fucking helmet. In my mind that was the most important thing I could have had on other than the rig.

before you wear more armor, consider trying to swim in waterlogged protective gear... if you PLANNED on using the water as the main out, why wear much more?
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

when I was out on the edge the only thing I was really thinking was this is going to be fucking great and dont fuck up lol.

Good shit man! Once we leave the edge we all are all simular if not the same in many aspects.

You will see critics in this sport, you will see assholes, you will see positive people, etc... all in all though, take each for what it is. A chance to learn more and expand your horizons. I have learned A LOT from people I don't like or vice versa.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Ditch that helmet. It's got limited protection and it's a snag hazzard. A protec is 20 bucks.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Welcome to the sport, Chris!

The beginning is best, the rest is just practice . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Can we keep this in dz.com fashion and turn this into a "post a pic of your first BASE jump?"

I think that would be dropzonealiciously cool...
Gravity Research Institute

I am still in the research phase, I want to have as much info as possible but, I can't wait until my first jump.
Congrats again !
Kate

Helmets are good dude. people that want to stay alive wear helmets. if anyone on earth ever actualy WAS living proof of that, it is me.

Helmets are good dude. people that want to stay alive wear helmets. if anyone on earth ever actualy WAS living proof of that, it is me.

A helmet did nothing for me. Now, body armour, that would have been cool... B|
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

CHICKEN HAWK Your ready to become a tandem master. As I knew a long time ago. You where a HELMET because of respect to the sport..That makes you a better person.

POLY WOG