dride

Almost made the List

The intention of this post is for educational purposes. Kind of long----sorry.

I had an extremely low pull on the Katthammaren Wall in Eikesdal on Saturday. I had about 1.5 sec canopy ride after looking at the video. I must have had the snow snakes and little trolls watching over me at that time. The reason I am still around is because of the steepness of the slope where I landed and a couple friendly trees. I opened so low and went crashing through the trees before I could even reach for the risers\toggles. Landed in an area where I had to be picked up by the heli rescue. Walked away with just a bruised tail bone and a scratch on my back.

Plenty of reasons why it happened but the main one is misjudging my altitude. The steepness of the talus is very deceiving and hard to judge (for me anyway) how high you really are. Not trying to make excuses just giving my opinion.

I'm telling this story because I want to make a point. The walls in Romsdalen\Eikesdal are not for beginners. They are nothing like the walls of Kjerag. You should not come here thinking these are "just some more big cliffs". You really need to be on your tracking game here. Most Norgies can track like hell and make it look easy. If you don't have a lot of tracking experience, then this place is not for you.

So with that said I just want people to know this before getting themselves into deep shit (like I did).

To the Norwegian BASE community, especially the ones who frequent this area, I am very sorry for making a big scene. I know I am not the first person to need a heli rescue in this area but I still feel bad for bringing attention to the site. That is the last thing I would want.

Oh yeah one last thing, if you do end up jumping here, watch out for Trolls putting large rocks in your stash bag while you are not looking!!!

Play safe children...................

How was the men in leatherjackets, and mustasje? Did they play the handcuffed over the bench game with you?

Glad you are okay, and take care!

Men in leather jackets were very nice people as were the heli rescue guys. The cops were so cool and asked if i could burn them a copy of the jump for them to keep in their "collection". Told them (in Norwegin) "es no problm".

It's OK if they and my friends have a copy but I will NEVER put it on the internet.

Hey D

Glad you're still among the living. The entire crew here would be crushed. Not as bad as you but you know what I mean.

Take care bro.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Hey D

Sounds like the Hammer gave you a ride of your life.

Yea the Tallus on both Katthammaren and Gridsetsgolten are hard to judge and you can feel the draft pulling you down just to track a little bit more. You are not the first one, and not the last.

The thing you said about experience and tracking. I would say its more important to be experienced Big-wall jumper, having seen many talluses and its all about knowing the area. Tracking skills is all about how low you pull. If you pull really low it doesnt matter... you wiull be low anyway, only on another spot of the tallus.

More important to be aware of that talluses are really harde to judge. They are filled with rocks and treas. Problem is that you dont know if the rocks ar big or small. you need referenses or knowledge.

And to not go low over the tallus takes both knoledge, experiece and the streangt to be sane and grown up enough to pull higher (that wont fit any of us)

Im glad you got out of it and let it be a reminder, its actually one of the best ways to learn, even if its scary and close to carnage. Im looking forward to the video :) you can show it to me in Sweden next time you get here.

good that the guys in leather treated you well. It hurts the first time, but it will get easier every day.
/Martin - Team Bautasten of Sweden

Glad you're still alive man. Pull a little higher next time.

Didn't you hear there isn't a list anymore;)?

Have fun on the rest of your trip.

OBOY!!!!

I have just seen the video, and it is a classic mistake! I have seen many near incidents like this during the years I have been jumping here in Romsdalen. Scenario: It is a multiway, jumper goes behind, and start looking at the ohters, who are crusing away, since they left the exit point before, and they have already gained some speed to fly on. The tallas is steep, and do not look that close since your head is in an different angel than you would have been from a object with flath ground. To late he get awere of how close he is to the ground, pull, next second he penetrate the trees!

1. You dont get groundrush in a steep tallas

2. Going behind someone make you look at the others, open your chest up, and you will loose speed.

3. The best is to check you altitude, is to look behind your legs, and you will see where you end up if you have 180. It will also improve your track!

We just shaved his ass for his lucky golden hair!

Didn't you hear there isn't a list anymore;)?

Well, as far as you know there isn't a list. You may not know the address or location, but I can assure you that is list is alive and well.

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

Is it possible, in any kind of way, to see the video of this experience? Maybe upload on skydivingmovies or sendspace?
:S

The intention of this post is for educational purposes. Kind of long----sorry.

Words are good, but for educational purposes, its always better to see! Think that you'll probably save a life or two with those shocking images.

Words are good, but for educational purposes, its always better to see! Think that you'll probably save a life or two with those shocking images.

with all of 50 jumps and 1 year in the sport?

no, you do NOT need to see that video.
you can wait until you are ready.

how could you claim a reasonable perspective to interpret those images properly?

give it time. let your knowledge base grow...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Did it look something like this??? (Old stuff)

http://downloads.offheading.com/films/Offheading/Spiderman_Does_Katthammern.mpg

No helicopter needed on that side of the tallus. But rescue team with some ropes is unfortunately required.

Yeah....
what the fuck is this shit when you hit this link....
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

Ha - I got that but didn't think much of it as I'm in Abu Dhabi airport and I just got this when I tried to get on www.basejumper.org.........

Lots of Arabic followed by -

We apologize the site you are attempting to visit has been blocked due to its content being inconsistent with the religious, cultural, political and moral values of the United Arab Emirates.

If you think this site should not be blocked, please visit the Feedback Form available on our website.

Site Blocked

Yeah....
what the fuck is this shit when you hit this link....

AGREED.

ALL I CANT SAY TO THAT IS: GOD HATE'S US ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

note 2 public: it's a Slayer song, though relevant, it's not my original line/sayin'. although true!!!

LATER HATER'S.
NPS SUX ASS

HAHAHAHA....
Good to have an Interpreter....:D
AND SLAYER!!!!!!!
FUCKIN A......

HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

[url]
Spiderman does Kathmner is the "getting stucked in the talus video" and sikretssjefen is a REAL carnage video!!!!!

That was a low freefall into what looks to be a strong headwind with a lineover and a 4 second canopy ride. Does anybody know the canopy used and the number of UCL, and if there was a tailgate?

quote/snipet from katzurki:

"That was a low freefall into what looks to be a strong headwind with a lineover and a 4 second canopy ride. Does anybody know the canopy used and the number of UCL, and if there was a tailgate? "
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah i'd also like to know a little bit more about the packin' and other things that went into that jump as well.

that sucked for the guy!!!!!!!!! line over then bamm..

to bad he didn't seem 2 have time to pull the toggles. good thing he didn't crash into those earth movers, huh????
NPS SUX ASS