ifics

You're BOC, spandex?

Search for Spandura. It's a super tough hybrid of spandex and cordura that will last a very long time. Relative Workshop is putting it on all their BOC. If you want really specific info, PM billbooth and he can give the elasticity ratings, amount of possible stretch, etc...

D

IMO, cordura is nice because it blends into the rig more. That's another reason I like a pull-out (it's way down my list, but it's a nice little benefit).

It's also more resistant to damage, which is probably a better reason to like it than the one above. :P

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I like the way a spandex pouch 'grips' the entire PC. I don't like the idea of the cordura pouch having to retain the PC with the 'grip' of the opening elastic only.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Search for Spandura. It's a super tough hybrid of spandex and cordura that will last a very long time. Relative Workshop is putting it on all their BOC. If you want really specific info, PM billbooth and he can give the elasticity ratings, amount of possible stretch, etc...

D

How long have they been using Spandura?
I bought a brand new V3-M 5 months ago. Would my BOC be Spandura?

Mine is cordura. .. but I prefer spandex. . .

My reason you ask. . .I had a hard pull on a hop n pop and on the second reach back I just stuck my hand in the spandex pouch and pulled out the PC. . .my hand would not have fit in a cordura pouch. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Cordura might cause a hard pull on a clumbsily packed pilotchute.
On the other hand, you have to pack incredibly sloppily to jam a pilotchute in a Spandex BOC.

Once at band camp on a DC-3 jump, after sitting in those hard dished aluminum seats and not checking my hackey right before exit, at pull time I was suprised to find that little sucker about halfway into the BOC with the PC compacted very nicely into the remaining half.
I learned a little and a lot that day.:)

If it's five months old definitely should be Spandura. I was at the factory in Dec 03 all the BOC's had it then. It looks very similar to spandex but when closely examined the fabric is quite different.

Cordura might cause a hard pull on a clumbsily packed pilotchute.

I disagree. From my experience with both types, the mouth of the pouch is where all the binding takes place. What the rest of the pouch is made of has very little impact on the system as a whole. Now a standard 4 in wide BOC made out of Cordura is going to be pretty tough to stuff a p/c into, but an integrated Cordura BOC system is much easier to pack, and has less maintenance issues.

On the other hand, you have to pack incredibly sloppily to jam a pilotchute in a Spandex BOC.

I disagree with this as well. All you need to do to cause a very hard or impossible pull on ANY BOC system is to fold the pilot chute into a long roll, then fold it in half (so it looks like to rolls next to each other). The result is a monkey fist that can be very hard to clear at the end of your pull from a properly tensioned BOC pouch. Try it and see...then never do it again!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."