skyflyergr

how many seconds delay from 100m?

I am new in the sport, and I would like to know to jump of an object of 100 meters how many seconds can you delay?
thanks

It depends.

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

here are few things that come to mind that could have an impact on your possible delay:

1. Pilotchute choice
2. your exit speed (poised or running)
3. how clean the object is (underhung, bulges or outcroppings)
4. slider (which you should NOT have on for anything this low)
5. impact site: water, trees, landable ground
a. do you need to open high to be able to fly out to a landing area?
b. if water, do you have a boat to get you, or can you easily swim to shore (if so you can take a longer delay)
7. aerials (sounds like you don't have much experience, so I would personally advise against this one)
8. multiway (again, my personal suggestion would be to wait a while before you get into these, but not everybody does)
BASE #958

1. Pilotchute choice - 46
2. your exit speed (poised or running) - poised
3. how clean the object is (underhung, bulges or outcroppings) - its a bridge clean
4. slider (which you should NOT have on for anything this low) - slider off
5. impact site: water, trees, landable ground - small but clean landing area
a. do you need to open high to be able to fly out to a landing area? not realy
b. if water, do you have a boat to get you, or can you easily swim to shore (if so you can take a longer delay) - No water
7. aerials (sounds like you don't have much experience, so I would personally advise against this one) - no I dont have much experience
8. multiway (again, my personal suggestion would be to wait a while before you get into these, but not everybody does) - I will consider all this and see what its safer for know.

Can you tell know how many sec approximately?

Can you tell know how many sec approximately?

Sure... acceleration due to gravity is 10 m/s/s, meaning that your
distance travelled is (1/2)*(10)*(t)*(t), where t is time in seconds.

Solving 100 = 5*t*t, I get t = 4.5 seconds, approximately.

Since you will need to deploy your parachute before hitting the ground,
you will need to do it within those 4.5 seconds. Let's say 2 seconds,
plus or minus 2.

Or did you want it more accurate than that? You just said
"approximately how many seconds", so I thought this might be
accurate enough.

your profile says you have 120 jumps in 1 year.

if true, you may not be able to appreciate/understand/properly prepare for the risk you seem intent on accepting.

even of more concern is who trained you?
the sort of questions you are asking should be covered in a FJC or by a mentor.

by the quite limited facts available, you appear to have chosen a hard, dangerous method to enter the sport. you may select an object with unforseen hazards, or even jumped regularly by others. if the latter, there may be methods to prevent accidental discovery.

you seem open minded (a huge plus), so can you tell us more about how you have prepared/planned for this jump?
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

if your new, 100m will look low. well, it is really. on this object sight unseen i would probably go Hand held with a 46 with either a go and throw up to a 2 second delay. but most likely a 1 second would do for me.

The truth is that I'm trying to get in the sport by myself because from where I came from even skydiving is not widespread at all!!! yeap!
I have about 160 jumps know as a civilian and a few when I was in the army.
I’m trying to gather some info before my first jump from everywhere I can…
I know its dangerous..but don’t worry! I wont try anything unless I’m pretty sure I’m gona make it … alive..

The truth is that I'm trying to get in the sport by myself because from where I came from even skydiving is not widespread at all!!! yeap!

Then I guess you are NOT in San Diego as your profile suggests? Where are you located?
Blair

I register in DZ.com when I was in SD for a short period. I am located in Greece.

I wont try anything unless I’m pretty sure I’m gona make it … alive..

Alive may not necessarily mean in one piece. 100m is considered by most to be a dirty low object.

Before you decide to go this alone, you may want to evaluate many factors other than just gear selection and length of delay.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

100m is considered by most to be a dirty low object.

Spoiled! Spoiled I say!

your doing the wrong way in this..
theres a reasson people dont take you out.. you cant wait for the right time,now the question is do you know how to walk away?

Asking Q´s in a forum like this placing theese people who answersyour Q in a bad place when you fuck up just aint right..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Dear Stefan,
I'm seriously doubt if you read the whole post.
So I'm going to repeat it again for you. I am just doing a research. I didn’t say I'm gona jump.
I am doing hell scariest things than base.
The last 5 years I'm climbing solo (do you know what that means?). So if I see that I'm not ready I won’t do it. That simple....ha?
Take care

here are few things that come to mind that could have an impact on your possible delay:

And the biggest impact of all??????

The Ground.

p.s. to skyflyergr - do some research. e.g. All the manufacturers websites have knowledge / information areas.

Most of your questions will be answered there.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Greece?????

You mean that cheap short flight from continental Europe????

Are you chained to Greece? I know a good blacksmith who can cut you free.

It won't cost you too much.

I know its dangerous..but don’t worry! I wont try anything unless I’m pretty sure I’m gona make it … alive..

Now that is reassuring. Thanks for putting me at ease. It must have been easy to gain the necessary confidence to perform this task with your level of self-esteem and wisdom.

Oh yeah, that quote will read great on a piece of granite. ;)

From the book of lists, verse 113: "though shalt listen to the gods, and follow in their footsteps".

All the very best of luck to you.

p.s. if you can't find the above book, check out http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2802684;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

o.k.

you have been hearing from some well intentioned people who do NOT wish you to start on your own.

there is a HUGE difference between BASE and free climbing. you may have the knowledge/skills/boldness to free climb, but only the boldness to BASE.

if you continue on your own, you stand a much higher chance of becoming an ugly statistic.

your profile says San Diego, but you are now in Greece. some who replied feel mislead and thus antagonistic.

others wonder why you don't seem willing to travel somewhere else and learn properly. (obviously you understand how to travel if you were in San Diego.)

like so much else in life, your key to success depends on how seriously you take preparation. by counting on anonymous/unknown advisors on the internet, it appears you are under-preparing.

please read my signature line (the last line, in red).
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

I am just doing a research. I didn’t say I'm gona jump.

meet to many guys like you saying the same.. why do you need exact info on a paticular jump if you aint doing it??:S

I am doing hell scariest things than base

wauu.. im so honnered speaking to one who think his a bada$$,NOT!!! I dont need info that you think your hardcore if you think so,you wouldnt post here in the first place then you should be out doing your thing..

The last 5 years I'm climbing solo (do you know what that means?).

either you smell bad or just like beeing on your own..
I did solo BASEjumps the past 5 years do you know what that mean?It means nothing... Again i cant use your info for anything.

So if I see that I'm not ready I won’t do it. That simple....

thats the only thing in your posts that gives you my respect,keep that promise and your on the right track..

Asking specific Q´s like you did is the same as asking if its ok you do it,your not the only newbie reading theese forums..
Why didnt you just ask for a freefall chart? you dont want to know how loong delay you can take off 240ft?

Take care

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

men..you thing youre smart?
youre full of ...you know what.

and now you know why people might dont want to help you out..

atleast you showed you aint smart.. entering a new sport/way of life whith that attitude makes you deserved not to try it out..

have a nice life beeing hardcore at the walls:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Why do you need exact info on a paticular jump if you aint doing it??
------------------------------------------------------------
Because that’s the highest “safe” please for my first jump (if I’m gona doit)

wauu.. im so honnered speaking to one who think his a bada$$,NOT!!!
I didn’t say I am a bada$$...But I want to see yours (a$$) if you ever decide to climb even 10m without a rope!!!

I dont need info that you think your hardcore if you think so, you wouldnt post here in the first place then you should be out doing your thing..
Now…How told you that I thing I’m hardcore? If you thing so ..its fine by me!!

Either you smell bad or just like beeing on your own..
Yea…nice one..

I did solo BASEjumps the past 5 years do you know what that mean? It means nothing...
Exactly!!! And thats the only thing in your posts that gives you my respect.

You dont want to know how loong delay you can take off 240ft?
No I don’t…240ft its to low for me…Don’t forget that I’m a newbie.