Calvin19

Would YOU want your name on the WBFL?

has this been done? i looked for it, maybe i looked the wrong way.

WBFL-World BASE Fatality List.

Dude, if I fuck up and die in a BASE jump, I am pretty sure I couldn't care if I tried ;).

Kris.

I doubt anyone wants their name on the list...

but if I earned a place, please let someone learn from me!
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

hahaha... ok i worded it wrong.

IF YOU GO IN,,, do you want your name, etc,etc..

but i am just curious.

I want to know the breakdown. I hope no one hates me more than they already do for this...

Dude, if I fuck up and die in a BASE jump, I am pretty sure I couldn't care if I tried ;).

Kris.

What if you dont fuck up and still die in a BASE jump? Could you then care if you tried? ;)

FWIW, I vote option 1. If I fucked up and there's a lesson to be learned, let people learn it... if there's no lesson to be learned, let them learn that all the lessons in the world still might not save them if they choose to continue.
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

You can put me on there. We are all going to die. What the hell is the difference. I'm not SELFISH, if someone can learn from my mistake then please let them learn.
Or we can just see if more people die without the list. I guess some jumpers would prefer that.
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

Without it, people are a fading memory.
At least with the list, young people like me (a measly 16 years old) can read about these people, and maybe even tell their story a few more times.

I've grown up over the last 3 years reading that list, it's a part of BASE jumping to me.

EDIT: I would want my name to be on the list.

Hell yeah, right there at the bottom with the other BASE jumpers who died outside of the sport.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Other than not wanting it on the list cause it would mean that I was dead, I would like people to learn from whatever mistake took me.

-S

I want mine right after FIREFLYR's in th outside the sport, however, if it did happen post it, pix it, learn from it, remember it.

i look at the list in a few ways, in the beginning i looked at it as a tool, now knowing a few members of the list i look at it as a kind memorial. I think a few technical issues need to be changed. but leave it up, its just history to the dead.

What if you dont fuck up and still die in a BASE jump?

I'd still want the full details and my name posted. You can do everything right and still die and that's an important lesson too.

I'd prefer to be listed in the second half of the list, peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Jules

Kris.

What if you dont fuck up and still die in a BASE jump? Could you then care if you tried? ;)

Seems to be a misunderstanding. My point was that if I was on the list, it would be impossible for me to care. Regardless of whether someone thinks it was a mistake or not.

I think that dying without doing any mistake at all is a romantic notion. There is no such thing. Choosing to leave or not leave(the edge) is the biggest thing we have in our favour. Leaving the edge is itself the mistake, if the jump ended in a fatality.

FWIW, I voted option 1 as well ;).

Kris.

When I go I would like my organs to benefit any worthy living sole(s). If my name and perticulars could also be of some benefit in one form or another I would not hesitate to offer them in advance.

The remnants of my family fully understand this as do my close friends

John

Kris.

Seems to be a misunderstanding. My point was that if I was on the list, it would be impossible for me to care. Regardless of whether someone thinks it was a mistake or not.

There was no misunderstanding, I was just being a facetious asshole :P

I think that dying without doing any mistake at all is a romantic notion. There is no such thing. Choosing to leave or not leave(the edge) is the biggest thing we have in our favour. Leaving the edge is itself the mistake, if the jump ended in a fatality.

Kris.

...and future jumpers reading the list would need to see that there are people on there who made no technical mistake.. and that just leaving the edge could still, potentially, land them there.

Though the list is valuable for reading and learning from others' technical errors with rigging, packing, or execution.. when a new jumper reads through the list and tries to 'rationalize' his jumping by noting "that guy made a mistake... so did that guy.... this dude left xxx on his yyy... and this guy should have definitely known better than to do this...", it is quite sobering for him to suddenly reach a few fatalities where the jumper apparently made no huge costly mistake... other than jumping.

At that point, it is hard for anyone to say something like "well it won't happen to me, because I'm not going to let myself fuck up that badly!"

Basic lifesaving information on how not to fuck up and die can be spread without the use of a list... but I can't find any better demonstration of the danger of this sport than a list that includes those incidents where there is nothing to learn other than 'shit happens.. it happened to him (pic) and it can happen to you too'
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

If I go in on a jump, please give credit where credit is due and put me on the list.

The list will go on, and if you go in, you will go on the list.

you know, i think all that suffer the wrath of failure or that of gravity in this sport should get a whole d@%n web page to themselves. that way they serve as memorials, web gravestones. people could pay their respects or disrespects accordingly on a post on the site. it would be easy to link them all, and they could serve even more so as examples of how life really is (which includes learning from their mistakes) OPINION: i do not believe that there is anyway that someone would die juming in this sport without it being their fault. there is the multi-way problem, but the jumper took that risk, that's all of this sport "the jumper takes the risk." a calcualted one but still. . .
Balls deep!
FENCE!!!!
Calmer than you are.
www.launchtelevision.com

To everyone who has said here that they'll never make a mistake and die on a BASE jump: you're not perfect.

The Nall report for 2005 General Aviation fatal accidents lists the major cause as pilot error 82.9% of the time. Mechanical/Maintenance is second at 7.5%, and everything else is 9.6%. The statistics for non-fatal accidents are similar.

Look through the BFL again and see how many of these cases the jumper did everything right and still died. It could usually be argued that they could have done something better and still be alive. Look at the people who you think were great base jumpers that still made a fatal mistake, or a chain of mistakes. Making the judgment call to jump when the conditions are really bad could also be a fatal mistake. Mistakes could also include gear choice, rigging, packing, site selection, lack of training or experience, poor exit technique, poor canopy piloting, poor body flight, and many more. I think pilot error is the number one killer in general aviation, skydiving, and BASE jumping.

Both the BASE newbies and the experienced jumpers have to admit that they are capable of the same mistakes. In order to keep our odds of staying alive as good as possible we must do everything we can to avoid repeating mistakes, or making new ones. We are all test jumpers.

I know I've made mistakes and gotten away with them, as I'm sure most of us have. We must be ready to adapt during flight, as things don't always go exactly as planned.

The gear that we have now is reliable only if maintained, configured, packed, used and flown correctly.

I do my best to not screw up, but if I do die while flying something, I'll admit that it was probably my fault. I'd rather not die flying, but I accept the inherent risk every time I leave the ground.

To everyone who has said here that they'll never make a mistake and die on a BASE jump: you're not perfect.

i seriously doubt anyone has ever said that.

has anyone ever died on a BASE jump and NOT made a mistake?

i guess ill never make a mistake BASE or any other sport for that matter. :S

what happened?
i was just referencing what someone said earlier
about "dying and not messing up."
let's keep it clean here, back to your corners. lol
i didn't wan't this to turn into a death chat. we should really just drop the subject. i mean, no one involved in BASE will actually ever die. we just move on to a higher BASE deminsion. where towers are 10,000 feet tall and cliffs. . . well, let's just say, it's not being dead when it's that fun.
Balls deep!
FENCE!!!!
Calmer than you are.
www.launchtelevision.com

i always make jokes like that. then get this bad feeling in my stomach and the urge to clarify with everything that i was joking. just to make sure i don't jinx myself or something.
word to your mother,
RJ$$
BASE 1117