autoset

The rig for executives manufactures came up with after the 9/11 attacks

If I remember correctly some company started producing these rigs somewhere in 2002 I think, I was very young at the time I don't even know if it was a dream or I actually saw it on TV.

Anyone have any info about that rig system? What company produced them? Are they still on the market? A pic of one of those would be interesting.

they pretty much made a retard-proof harness and a moron-proof way to do a static line/dbag, and used a paraglider rogollo style singe surface fast opening parachute.

a cool idea, a lot of idiot bought them. i dont think it ever was, or ever will be used for a real escape.

we should buy them from all those idiots for cheap, and jump the crap out of them.
word to your mother,
RJ$$
BASE 1117

i think they cost a lot, i didnt check.

the rogollo style reserve has decenr heading performance, and amaziing accuracy in zero wind. but forward speed is nothing. i read that the glide was 2/1. but i dont buy it. there are a lot of discusions about them in PG forums. ill look them up.

you can buy one brand new for about 1000 US.
(the canopy only, that is. )

i dont think we eould want the moron dbag thing.

So if this actually exists, then why should you worry about taking your rig up a building? Just tell security "WE'RE using it to escape from THE TERRORISTS if THERE IS A BOMB" and they should understand. Also point it at them so they can see the ribbons.

Myes...

I have mixed feelings about this...

As an economist I like the idea of selling these rich guys gear.
However, I doubt they will ever be used, and if actually used
during a real emergency the user fairing better than staying put.

Imagine someone with zero jumps of any kind properly donning
the rig, executing a decent exit, deploying, and flying the wing
safely to the ground in the midst of an attack with plenty of
emergency vehicles on the ground.

FYI: My assumptions of middle age & wealthy comes from the
usual amount of time and lenght of resume to get a window office
with enough altitude to jump from in a high profile building.

But what the hell, you gotta like the never give up atitude.

"Rage Against the Dying of the Light!"
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

...in the midst of an attack with plenty of

You forgot "and past the massive turbulence created by the huge fire between the exit point and the ground, the one that blocks the stairs and all other conventional means of escape."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

a cool idea, a lot of idiot bought them

Calvin, you can become a billionaire selling your rope jumping systems to these idiots. :)
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

thats why they are rounds. you may break your legs, you may get burned to hell, you may not even make it.

BUT

at least you have one more chance.

Imagine someone with zero jumps of any kind properly donning the rig, executing a decent exit, deploying, and flying the wing safely to the ground....reply]

It was a good concept in the aftermath of the 911 frenzy but there is no way will someone land safely in the cement city wearing one of these rounds. Dummies test jumped these. No takers on a real person to try it out.

Imagine someone with zero jumps of any kind properly donning the rig, executing a decent exit, deploying, and flying the wing safely to the ground....reply]

It was a good concept in the aftermath of the 911 frenzy but there is no way will someone land safely in the cement city wearing one of these rounds. Dummies test jumped these. No takers on a real person to try it out.

Bullshit. There was at one time video of test jumps of these from a building . Don't remember who or where, but it was a lowish building with a PLF landing on the grass.

If im not wrong Anne test jumped hope from a bridge, and there should be some pictures in the forum somewhere!

Bullshit. There was at one time video of test jumps of these from a building . Don't remember who or where, but it was a lowish building with a PLF landing on the grass.

I stand corrected.

...in the midst of an attack with plenty of

You forgot "and past the massive turbulence created by the huge fire between the exit point and the ground, the one that blocks the stairs and all other conventional means of escape."

And if you use it in New York, when you land, you'll be arrested. :S
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

That was hardly a realistic situation, though.

The closest I think any of these came to simulating real conditions was probably the test jumps done by real live people on any of a number of the systems (Anne Helliwell landed a HOPE system on the other side of the river here, in the boulders, and I believe Brian Chopin test jumped a system off a bridge in Northern California, as well as the video we've all seen floating around of the PLF into the perfect grassy field). Still, none of those were exactly "real" conditions, and they all involved experienced test jumpers.

I'm totally unconvinced that any average office worker would be able to make a good decision about when to jump, and even less convinced about their ability to land uninjured in a real emergency situation (or even in a situation that they thought was a serious emergency, but turned out not to be so bad).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

no im sayin lets buy em from the rich executive idiots secondhand would they make good water rigs?
word to your mother,
RJ$$
BASE 1117

I agree that the odds of peole surviving those jumps are slim...but anything beats cooking to death.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I agree that the odds of peole surviving those jumps are slim...but anything beats cooking to death.

hmmm, i disagree there.
even with the fire below, from a 800' B, exiting from a 600' window, with fire at 3 or 400'.

the fire normaly does not escape the B in a horriblystrong fashion. the 911 pics and video dont look terrible.

also, these reserve canopies are impressive, they not by design, but by accident keep away from building assuming it does not get hung up.

these reerves dont need to be flared, and have a super slow forward speed. so, i think that not doing anything after opening you will walk away from it.

a cool idea, a lot of idiot bought them

Calvin, you can become a billionaire selling your rope jumping systems to these idiots. :)

i could, maybe. but never. no way.

And if you use it in New York, when you land, you'll be arrested.

I thought in NY they handcuffed you to the railing so you "couldn't" jump?!
"Don't keep your pilot chute a secret"

I don't understand why all BASE jumpers don't have an e-vest. You don't have to deploy anything. And, you can fly them into walls and they remain "stable"
You don't even have to steer them. But it does sound like the option to turn low is there for the non experienced pilot.
I can't think of a better system to escape a building except maybe a rope with some knots in it.
"I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, except I'll die in the end, she said. So what could really go wrong? -----Brian Andreas

That was one of the funniest things ive seen today.

I dont think these products would sell very well here in my country for two reasons.

There are no high building and nobody is afraid of anything.

I saw a video when they ried to advertise for the rig. The girl trying to put it on fucked up so many times doing it right that the guy speaking for the product had to help her, and even then they couldnt figure it out.

They would burn before they figured out the harnes.
/Martin - Team Bautasten of Sweden