Hajo

Frankfurt. Base Paradise. Last Weekend

Hi folks,
just imagine:
after a good day jumping, you fall asleep and start dreaming...
you and 14 of your friends are in the third floor of a highrise.
a large room, smooth red carpet, catering, aircondition and a look at the skyline.
the manager asks, whether you need something else.
no, thanks. all is fine...
you look out of the window and you start to discuss, what building you should jump...
let´s take the highest one...
you grab your gear, walk across the road and the chief of security welcomes you, guides you and your friends to the rooftop. once you are there, he asks if you feel comfortable and the general manager of that building says a warm good morning to you as well, wishing you good jumps..
the winds are calm and the exit is about 800ft above the streets.
a short call over the radio and the support crew down on the street walks to the policecars, standing in the streets for security.
immediately they place their cars on the street for you to stop the traffic on the mainstreet, just in case you should miss the large landing zone in front of the exit and you need extra-space to land.
you smile, wave to the media and then you jump.
nice freefall, straight opening, cool canopy ride between the buildings and a soft landing.
you look up to the exit and one after another comes down from the exit, smiles and after everyone has touched down, the police opens the street again, smiling to you and wishing you luck for the rest of the day.
you walk back to the lounge where you can pack your canopy and after finishing your packjob, the story starts again at a different building just within 10 minutes to walk....
just a dream?
NO!
this happend in frankfurt right at the last weekend during the skyscraperfestival.
a group of 15 jumpers from allover europe set a new standard.
10 different buildings was the goal.
and we did it.

the owner of the buildings agreed with the project and with official permission we were allowed to perform in front of thousands of spectators.
without any incident the festival ended after two days with a wingsuitperformance done by hannes, james and robert out of a helicopter.
with a trail of smoke, they flew between the skyscrapers and showed outstanding skills.
the crowd went crazy, seeing three flyers coming down after a perfect flight with a tiptoe landing..

this event, organized by hannes and ecki from the german base association, was the most impressive adventure I´ve ever been into.
words can hardly describe the moments we had...
just unbelievable...

delegations from all around the world were watching all events to check, whether this will fit into their countries as well...
we did our best to show that base is a perfect attraction for everyone and we also got the credits from the crowd.

thanks to all members of the crew, jumpers and support.
to the officials and owners, police and security, helicopterpilots, photographers and everyone involved.

one phrase said it perfect:
mucho base!
B|

all pictures: copyright by katja lenz
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

That's a total shame... YOU HAD TO WALK ?? WTF ???

the story starts again at a different building just within 10 minutes to walk....

:D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I would also like to express my thanks to Ecki, Hannes, Ute and everyone else who made this event possible.

A great weekend :)
Photo by Natasha Rozov.

BASEstore.it

Yes, it was extremely nice indeed! :P

A big, big thanks to Hannes & Ecki, and Ute + ground crew, plus of course, the very nice people which gave the necessairy permits.

Ronald

Saw this on AOL news... CONGRATS to all!
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Hi evereone!

More fotos from Frankfurt event:

http://www.ruexp.ru/photo/section.php?SECTION_ID=219

See you. Valery.

Fantastic job!
Congratulations to everyone involved.

Hi !
I’m agree with Hajo : one phrase said it perfect... mucho base! ;)
The best base event in the the world.
Many thanks Hannes and Ecki and all the staff, a lot of jumps with a lot of friends.
Mucho base in Frankfurt !!!
Danke !
Maury

Sounds like you all did the BASE community proud!!

Now - possibly a dumb question........

You said that the wingsuit jumps were "out of a helicopter.
with a trail of smoke, they flew between the skyscrapers and showed outstanding skills" - I was just interested in whether these were done with BASE rigs and taken low - were they flying their wingsuits between the skyscrapers, or did they open above the buildings and fly their canopies between the skyscrapers?

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

I bought this post card in 2002-2003 at Frankfurt airport in between planes:P

I was just interested in whether these were done with BASE rigs and taken low - were they flying their wingsuits between the skyscrapers, or did they open above the buildings and fly their canopies between the skyscrapers?

They flew with their suits between the skyscrapers and opened lower than the top of the buildings...
;)
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

I love buildings especially with a good crew. I could imagine doing it with legal access. That would make it immensely fun.

:)

Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

AMAZING !!!! Just amazing...
Congrats!!!