mac2501

Canopy sizes

hi all ,
im thinking of getting in to BASE just wondering what size canopy i should be looking at

im 6,2 and i weigh 220lbs

many thanks

You should have research. I think that your post will get ripped apart and you with it. There are many topics on this subject. Delete your post now or suffer the wrath of experienced jumpers giving you crap for not even trying a little bit.
take care,
space

did you research the topic?
what have you found?
what do you think?

before we make an effort to help you, please make an effort to help yourself.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

see the links on the top of the BASE forum. read those, might be a good start. including: getting into base, and just to the right of that, my first base rig. then one more to the right, BASE classifieds. BASE is not for the lazy, are you? appears so to me.

What they're really trying to say is that the Stiletto will be fine.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

310 Black Jack with composite upper skin.
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

Not to give Tom too much grief but the my first base rig seems somewhat outdated. Tom works hard and has alot of knowledge. I believe the one he has on his snake river base is closer to what things are like and being used today in BASE.

I believe the one he has on his snake river base is closer to what things are like and being used today in BASE.

The copy on the SnakeRiverBASE.com web site is more recent than the one posted here (I am not in direct control of the articles posted here, so I can't keep them updated as easily).

That copy of the article (here, as .pdf file) includes a section on canopy sizing.

For the original poster, I'd say a canopy in the 300+ size range is appropriate (Ace/Blackjack 310, Troll 305, Flik 322, Rock Dragon 313, etc).

Do not be confused by the various size numbers. Many of these canopies are very similar sizes despite a few feet either way in the placarded sizes. Just try to demo the various offerings and pick the one that works best for you, without thinking (for example) that the Blackjack "310" is going to be noticeably larger than the Troll "305," or whatever.

For what it's worth, my personal preference is the same as Dave O's (Blackjack 310), but everyone has different personal preferences (that's why they're called that), so you'll want to try to demo various different canopies for yourself, to form an educated opinion.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

There was a recent thread on "Wingloading" which, while short, contained some links which may be helpful. I'll bump it for you.