wwarped

which benefits BASE more? youTube or The List?

given the recent thread, I thought I'd see if we have a consensus.

personally, I think the List encourages caution. videos build excitement without encouraging caution. jumpers are thus more apt to act recklessly.

I prefer the List.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

the jumpers choose to be on youtube... the jumpers are choosed to be on the list... this is the only difference

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

I'm not sure your question can get a clean response. What you're asking is the "comparing apples to oranges" argument. You need a control in any experiment to get any valuable info. If a jump is posted on youtube and it is a good jump it may drive folks to push the envelope. If that same jump is NOT successful it will drive home the reality of the sport; folks will think twice about a jump based on that. After all the data is in some folks will follow my gramma; like she used to say "FUCK IT"!
Truth is the distilled meaning of facts, for any truth refuted by a fact becomes a fallacy.

Non-Base jumper view...
Think this is the first time i've posted on here despite ghosting it for the last 3-4 years. I first thought of getting into BASE after watching Jebs 'a year in the life' vid on skydivingmovies. I had been thinking of getting into skydiving for a while but this was my first 'introduction' to BASE. I stated skydiving almost a year ago now (partly so as to get into BASE in the future) and whilst it will no doubt be a little while longer before i make my first jump (experience+money need to be weighed up) i've realised i've got all the time in the world and it's no rush. Whilst i did not start off with this view, this website and various others have been invaluable in helping me to to come to it. I spent a long time going over The List, and it helps to put things in perspective in a very raw way, but ghosting forums and websites like basewiki were also helpful. Now i tend to see youtube as a negative as i think it can often give the wrong impression of the sport, and if it leads to the burning of any objects then it is even worse. Yet i cannot deny that my initial desire was sparked off by videos similar to the ones shown. Nevertheless if i had to decide between the two The List wins hands down.

edited for speeling and grammer:$

I guess it would depend if you were showing the videos of how they got on the list(formerly known as the list)
"Don't keep your pilot chute a secret"

truely we should consider who is watching the vids.
are they the "wow, i want to try that" type
or the ones who just sit in front of a PC all day looking at any ol' thing they can find
i do not think that we are influencing anyone no matter which site they appear on
unfortunately, the truth is that not all videos are put there by jumpers
we had someone put one of our vids on you tube and it pissed the camera guy off. we know the guy, and the video is clean and safe, but we had no idea he was doing it. so, now we started our own site and put the vids there. now if someone wants to see base vids they look it up for the exact reason of watching base, not to see a base accident, or for "extreme" sports blah blah blah. besides, in general, there is so much crap on you tube, who is really going to give base vids a second thought.