HydroGuy

Hard opening on a go and throw...WTF???

Flik'd a lowish coastal S last night with my Perigee 2/Flik 266 Vtech/46" Toxic PC. 1/2 second delay tops. Exited slightly head high if anything.

Had a violent opening, felt like a 3+ second delay...combined with a 90 left.

Any ideas what could lead to a hard opening with such a short delay???
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Freakish snatch force from the 46? ;); Next time use a 42 and tow it a while.:P

"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Wind was virtually non-existant

maybe you should take off the pc and staticline it? ;)

Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

maybe you should take off the pc and staticline it? ;)

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I use a 42 from that object.

The opening speed was probably normal. My guess is that the off heading surprise made it feel otherwise.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

quote from "HOOKIT"

"I use a 42 from that object"

just curious? f111 or ZP? and if ZP? vented or not?

later

NPS SUX ASS

The opening speed was probably normal. My guess is that the off heading surprise made it feel otherwise.

that makes the most sense. 90s make the opeing feela lot harder.

what is the altitude?

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

I'd put my similiar 42 on my pin rig there (well primed of course) and go hand held without a second thought. I personally would not feel comfortable with a 42 on my velcro rig off that object though.

;);););)yeah--maybe static lines aren't soooooooo bad;);););););););)!!!!!!!!!!

later

Maybe I need to ditch the Flik and get another RockDragon...:P

Hey hydro, the 42 wasn't a suggestion. There was more to that hastily posted thought, but of course I don't recall what it is.

World, I use either a 42 toxic or 42 AV or 46 AV from. Prefer either the Toxic or the 46 but have no issue with a standard AV.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Hey hydro, the 42 wasn't a suggestion. There was more to that hastily posted thought, but of course I don't recall what it is.

World, I use either a 42 toxic or 42 AV or 46 AV from. Prefer either the Toxic or the 46 but have no issue with a standard AV.

Ditto, I'll use a ZP 42 above 210 or so.

Can you tell the difference between PCs? I'm jumping a small, light canopy and can definitely tell the difference on these jumps.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

Flik'd a lowish coastal S last night with my Perigee 2/Flik 266 Vtech/46" Toxic PC. 1/2 second delay tops. Exited slightly head high if anything.

Had a violent opening, felt like a 3+ second delay...combined with a 90 left.

Any ideas what could lead to a hard opening with such a short delay???

Line dump? Hows the velcro on your TP?

;);););)yeah--maybe static lines aren't soooooooo bad;);););););););)!!!!!!!!!!

later

Maybe I need to ditch the Flik and get another RockDragon...:P

well.......i've done both my FLiK'S in there back 2 back.....and one is non vented i think i've jumped my non vented there 4 times and my vented 7. i've used my 46" most of the time.

but back 2 what you were sayin'. truthfully. the rockdragon or the FOX would be better there because of less forward drive for sure (dependin' on you openin"). the FLIk takes a little more to slow down and sink but........if you skydive it more i personally think you'll find it to be alot more versatile. once you figure your way of manipulatin it for tight stuff and high pulls and flyin' to make the landin' area over tree's and stuff....blah, blah, blah. like i even know what i'm sayin'.......

i don't want 2 go on and on but........one time the tide was in and was over the water (strong tail wind) and i had 2 hook it front riser style over the big ole' rock!!! that freaked me. but now it's one of those things i kinda giggle like a little school girl about as i'm drivin' down the road and it pops into me head.

later glad your ok. 90 left at night. man o man. i've been at night before and it was a little more peaceful than that.... F'n 90 LEFT's.

why is it i never hear about 90 right's there?? it's either 90 left's of 180's and then of course for some reason the 180 turns into "attack of the poison oak". airdog had a fun time with that shit. maybe he'll chime in???

later man! i take it your ok??
NPS SUX ASS

thanx. i always like to get info on sub. 300 stuff from the folks.

later

NPS SUX ASS

Line dump? Hows the velcro on your TP?

That was my first thought, also.

My second thought was "how are your deep brakes?" If they are too shallow, the off heading can feel like a hard opening because the surge moves your body in a different direction (giving a feeling of acceleration as your body changes directions). This can also make on heading openings with shallow brakes feel "hard' even when they are pretty much the same as any other opening, but the effect appears to seem greater with off headings.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If they are too shallow, the off heading can feel like a hard opening because the surge moves your body in a different direction (giving a feeling of acceleration as your body changes directions). This can also make on heading openings with shallow brakes feel "hard' even when they are pretty much the same as any other opening, but the effect appears to seem greater with off headings.

hmmm...
I assume this is from the rotation of the body? not the accual lateral acceleration?

I would think that too-shallow settings would cause little more than feeling of surge, not a hard opening.

It is my opinion, based on my own perceptions and talking with others, that an opening on a canopy with shallower brake settings (relative to the jumper's weight) will be perceived by the jumper as "harder." I believe this is because the jumpers body is accelerated in a different direction.

What we perceive as a "hard" opening is basically the maximum acceleration (at any single point) in the opening sequence. If that point occurs because you are being spun around, or surged forward, or pushed backward, it's still the maximum point.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

gee guess what "S" was just on the history channel????

gotta luv modern marvel's. it's history of making the pacific coast hightway or sumthin' the "S" cost a whoppin' $200,000. back in the day. not much. ------then they said it cost $5,500,000.00 in the year 2000 to earthquake retrophit blah, blah , blah,

gotta luv that hippie bridge

later sleep time
NPS SUX ASS

Aye. fair enough.
what we percieve and the actual acceleration is never similar is it?

Why the ambiguity?? Just kidding.

Like I said...I'd be comfortable with my toxic 42 and a well primed pin rig there...but the velcro rig is getting the 46.