katzurki

bad accident video

front loop arials are black death as our fellow skydivers would say...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

I've got three years of gymnastic trampoline training and a season of platform diving. People ask me why I don't do aerials in BASE...

Well there you go. I'm happy to see this video made it here, because too many close calls never see the light of day. I've done my fair share of stupid shit, so maybe this is hypocritical; but damn there is no excuse for this guy's complete inability to stop after his second flip. Not in a BASE environment.

I used to go to Twin Falls to make some jumps. Nowadays I just go there to see ten-jump-wonders do their first gainer. It's more entertaining.

what's more annoying to me is the fact he started running a mile back, when the same push could've been gained from two steps.

but that's just me, and who the hell cares.:P

front loop arials are black death as our fellow skydivers would say...

5 Front flips are black death off of objects that should be slider down. front flips are no sweat when you do then right.

:o

of course, 4 backflips off a green bridge are black death if you hit them switch;):P

I feel for him. Anybody know the location and Date of jump in the vid. ?

I hate being a arm-chair quarterback but WOW, that cliff was (looks) "Really Under Hung" down deep and the jumper had little to no effort to make ay fucking clearance. He just fucking Nose-Dived off after the first step off on the launch.
Looks to me that he had about 4 sec.delay before the PC pitch with slider-up. ( Anybody Notice ) He was Nose into that fucker on the 180 inflation ?. That kind of object is NO PLACE to a aerial anyway WTF was he thinking ? The cliff looks under hung bad if you go deep at all on the delay. No place to have a 180 if your a low puller.

Was he on his back when he dumped? It was hard to tell.
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

Kinda hard to tell if he was totally on his back on the pitch. You can definitely see he was FUCKED and he new it. At least he had the sense to get the PC out before he plowed the talus.
I still can not believe he tried to do that shit on that rock. It looks like he took at least an 8-step run and then did a double foot plant to exit. fuck every time I watch it makes me cringe. Absolutely NO attempt to make clearance from the cliff. He just plants both feet jumps to pike and to a steep head-down.
The more I watch it. My brain say's . "he is DEEP". good thing he got something out.

Do people learn?
Front loops are demanding and easy to fuck up.
If that off heading would have happened on my jump in Verdon that went wrong (check "pull higher" on skydivingmovies.com) I definitely would have been dead. Why the hell go so hard?
Only to prove something or make a cool jump for the cam?
If you are dead you got nothing of it, neither your friends nor your family.
Glad the jumper is allright even if he got badly hurt.

Martin

I feel for him. Anybody know the location and Date of jump in the vid. ?

The jump took place on May 1, and it's a cliff in the Crimea around 1000 ft high (Foros Kant), the one that claimed #61 and #97.

puhhh....sad guy....hope he get full recover...
but is it a good idea to do frontloops on such an underhanging wall...?

stay smart outthere....:P

I used to go to Twin Falls to make some jumps. Nowadays I just go there to see ten-jump-wonders do their first gainer. It's more entertaining.

i have seen a few people with 5-20 jumps do their first gainer better than dudes who have been doing them. Thats whats entertaining about it.

Do people learn?
Front loops are demanding and easy to fuck up.
If that off heading would have happened on my jump in Verdon that went wrong (check "pull higher" on skydivingmovies.com) Martin

I have seen Martins video "pull higher" quite a few times, and so this one in Ukraine.
IMHO, in both video's the mistakes are made right on exit, leaving head down / trying to initiate the frontgainer using the momentum of the exit itself. (yes, I did that myself too).
Now, I try to exit looking at the horizon, and right after leaving ground/concrete/steel, initiate the front movement, curling up. That only gives you your own body momentum. After one or more loops (and yes, they are not so fast as the other method) you stretch out when you are head-up. Much better for me.
With the extra momentum you get the other way, it is very hard indeed to stop your gainer, especially when you try to stop after the head-up orientation. Most of the times you end up doing one more flip.... And that in combination with this underhung wall.

Ronald

Now, I try to exit looking at the horizon, and right after leaving ground/concrete/steel, initiate the front movement, curling up. That only gives you your own body momentum. After one or more loops (and yes, they are not so fast as the other method) you stretch out when you are head-up.

Have you done this on a slider down jump? It seems like too slow of a rotation for slider down.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I was thinking the very same thing but since my diving/gymnastic experience is fairly limited I didn't rush in. Homeboy does two front loops and instead of stretching out when his head is up (or even a fraction of a second before) he opens up when his head is down for a third flip. While this may stop that third loop, it also has him going head down (as if he was diving from the 10m platform and needed a good landing in the water)

So sorry someone got hurt. The canopy looks familiar.

We'd kill for for a cliff like that in So Cal . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Have you done this on a slider down jump? It seems like too slow of a rotation for slider down.

easily doable if you use proper technique
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

Not to cut in on Toms question but the exit that Ronald talks about is ideal for a single front rotation and then stopping it. stretching out then at the apex, snapping into the Pike. but For more than one front rotation. You really got to snap a hard pike in the beginning. All the force has to come from the abdomen and you are in the same boat for a better exit with trying to get a 'little chance' clearance.
Not putting the adequate amount of force in the beginning of a double or triple front rotation will usually lead to a stall. Staling really Sucks. Then you got to flail to recover and get stable.

also, Back and Front rotations are two different animals with slider-down. Fronts are real hard on your body. It will snap you hard on the best of them and them it will snap you enough to see stars and disorientation. Backs with no-slider opening is not even on the same scale or force in comparison.
If You pitch the PC when the legs are on top and coming threw the rotation. And this is proper for a 1-rotation and a slider-up jump. It can really snap the body.
If you do a front rotation and then stop it to get flat and square to pull it might not be to bad but then you might also be taking a deeper delay than you want also.

Not to cut in on Toms question but the exit that Ronald talks about is ideal for a single front rotation and then stopping it. stretching out then at the apex, snapping into the Pike. but For more than one front rotation. You really got to snap a hard pike in the beginning. All the force has to come from the abdomen and you are in the same boat for a better exit with trying to get a 'little chance' clearance.
Not putting the adequate amount of force in the beginning of a double or triple front rotation will usually lead to a stall. Staling really Sucks. Then you got to flail to recover and get stable.

also, Back and Front rotations are two different animals with slider-down. Fronts are real hard on your body. It will snap you hard on the best of them and them it will snap you enough to see stars and disorientation. Backs with no-slider opening is not even on the same scale or force in comparison.
If You pitch the PC when the legs are on top and coming threw the rotation. And this is proper for a 1-rotation and a slider-up jump. It can really snap the body.
If you do a front rotation and then stop it to get flat and square to pull it might not be to bad but then you might also be taking a deeper delay than you want also.

think about comparing the speed of rotation between front tucks and inward front tucks. with proper technique, it's totally doable, but I've seen very very few base jumpers use proper technique with aerials. if you don't use the right technique doing it ronald's way, it's not going to work.

but yeah, slider fronts are much harder than backs or gainers if you don't twist into reverse flips prior to opening.

this reminds me of when I was training with a guy who had trained some earlier base jumpers. his kids were 10 and 12 and had dove all their life. we were sitting in his living room watching some old video of previous base jumper students and his kids would burst out laughing when these guys would attempt aerials. that really put things in perspective, especially when a 12 year old can do sicker aerials than the best base jumpers I've ever seen.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

Tom, not myself. But I have seen people doing it (live, and on video). It can be slow, so if you want to be sure, practice on a slider-up jump is well advised.

Ronald

Fronts kill. Judging the input inertia on exit to prevent an over-rotation is such a fine line and really only can be MASTERED by those with much gymnastic experience. I say mastered because to go into such a BASE aerial with anything less than that ability is foolish to say the least. Being able to pull it off 90% of the time 'aint good enough. There's so many ppl out there with such a low level of ability doing fronts that we're gonna see much more carnage unless we, as friends, question the decisions of others at the exit point. Hearing someone say "I'm gonna try a front this time" at the top of something underhung, sheer or otherwise technical should raise alarm bells. Suggest they find a more suitable object to expand and progress and MASTER that aerial before raising the bar at a slightly more technical object.

Aussies Jason and Adam were both super-experienced aerialists and yet both lost their lives from over-rotations of fronts in underhung situations. It shows that all of us, even the most experienced, are at great risk from these manouvers.

g.
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"

IMHO, in both video's the mistakes are made right on exit, leaving head down / trying to initiate the frontgainer using the momentum of the exit itself. (yes, I did that myself too).
Now, I try to exit looking at the horizon, and right after leaving ground/concrete/steel, initiate the front movement, curling up. That only gives you your own body momentum. After one or more loops (and yes, they are not so fast as the other method) you stretch out when you are head-up. Much better for me.
With the extra momentum you get the other way, it is very hard indeed to stop your gainer, especially when you try to stop after the head-up orientation. Most of the times you end up doing one more flip.... And that in combination with this underhung wall.

Ronald

You`re absolutly right. This wall is about 250 meters with possible delays 5-9 seconds (depends on tracking), and 2 years ago i made double frontflip there without any problems, and yes, i initiated the rotation straight after the exit. For myself that was enough for 2 flips in 1.5-2 seconds.
But the main problem is that most of all new russian basejumpers forgot that base is dangerous and that even the simpliest aerials in base still require at least one acrobatic taining;)