Andy_Copland

First BASE jump

And you must have known when you stepped off, with a known piece of shit on your back, mentored by a known cunt that if you went in, all and sundry on the generic handbag.com would be saying told him so; what a spanner.

:D:D:D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Ahh, great, Dangerous Dan's eminently qualified ground crew...

Clearly, you are very much out the loop :S

Andy

Fill your boots, hope you have fun. Just dont bother contacting me ever again. You are a fucking twat in my eyes. You have just bascially called me and the other people that took time out to meet you cunts.

Go fuck yourself.

Michael

PS) Yes, this is a personal attack.

michael.

you so pretty.

andy.

i dont know you. so i dont care what you do. have fun. dont go in.
youll figure it out or youll die.

try not to be so pompous.but you britian types are so tough. so...

edit to add. i love new york.

the tv show.

I met you and i listened.

edit to remove threat of physical violence ~TA

Whatever Mac, you were the first person to admit that you went about it the wring way.

Find reason.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

edit to remove quoted threat of physical violence ~TA

uhm... sir... I think we're getting a bit violent here. why don't you chill out and make some rational thoughts for moment here.

Just how long is that exactly

I've been skydiving almost 2 years. When i first saw skydiving it was a thing that was unatainable, let alone BASE jumping.

I started skydiving and the more i done it the more i realised that i could achieve the things i wanted.

Bash me all you want Craig, it doesnt matter because nothing in the world can take away what i done. its not macho bullshit or "look at me i jumped..."

Its a real sense of pride in a humble way.

If you done something you felt was right at the time and had someone call you a twat how would you feel? especially someone you considered a friend.

I assure you it would and should be handled in an entirely different manner.

- ask for a mod to lock the thread.

- send apologies via PM, and deal with any problems you think you might have via PM.

- public forums do NOT provide a good environment for argument resolution.

public forums do NOT provide a good environment for argument resolution.

True

But at the same time i wont ask this to be locked or apologise.

I done all my apologising on the tower.

I sent you a PM. think about what I wrote to you.

otherwise...

get a picture of the bridle you used on this jump, and post it on the other 'serious' thread... many of us are curious about it.

No respect? You dont even know me.

Sitting at the bottom of that tower looking up after jumping was the most humbling experience of my life.

Please guys, delete your PA posts. There is a lot to be learned here.
Take care,
space

“doesn't sound like a very smart jump to me”

“ignorance is NOT bliss.”

“get into this sport in a 'sketchy' way”

“Have to say Andy I'm a little dissapointed you do”

“the thinking gone into the way you have done your first jump ( ie people/equipment and knowledge of equipment”

“if you want to basejump you may have just made things really difficult for yourself when you get back to england. i mean a real setback to your base carrer.”

“By displaying poor judgement, you will exclude yourself from the opportunity to jump with and learn from them”

“regardless of the fact that you must have known it was seriously stupid”

“with a known piece of shit on your back, mentored by a known cunt that if you went in,”

“Oh yeah congrats on doing something that is inherently unsafe in an unsafe manne”

“you will be treated harshly for entering the sport as you did”

WTF!
You guys….

From the information you have, you make assumptions and go off on all these negative tangents? What basis do you have for making these statements?

Sheesh…the guy made his first jump. There was an unforeseen equipment problem. You’ve never had one?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

what I have read is that this jumper wants to brag about his first jump.

something failed on that jump, but he has yet to describe that failure so that we can understand. it appears he doesn't know his equipment. (and doesn't he make money packing? yikes.)

the jumper appears to have been given advise from jumpers back home in the U.K., and chosen to ignore it.

the jumper was "supervised" by someone busted about a month ago in a dodgy situation. that jump also involved a beginner.

the jumper is spending a lot of energy on this thread, defending his achievement. energy that could be spent researching and learning. maybe then he could explain better the failure that occured on his jump.

I for one have NO desire to encourage this jumper. his enthusiasm appears to greatly exceed his knowledge base. some would compliment him. I view the situation as a statistic likely to happen. I have helped too many injured jumpers already. I'd prefer trying to prevent another.

sure, I doubt he thinks he will get hurt. he expects it won't happen to him. but when someone pointed out he assumed more risk than necessary, he replied so? isn't it a risky activity anyway?

the attitude I've seen displayed on this thread paints a picture of someone who will only listen to people telling him what he wants to hear. he wants people to facilitate him, not train him.

I hope I'm wrong.
I do not know him.
I hope good things happen to him.
but I do not know how to help someone that ignores advise.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Oy, how many skydives did you, Andy, do before you went off the tower?

Why didn't you do a FJC?

How did you end up finding someone across the ocean that wanted to pca you from a tower?

If the bridle ripped, I assume the canopy was already out?

Pm me if you must. I'm just curious.

Very very interesting thread!

First - congrats on your first jump Andy, glad you followed your heart and finally obtained that dream you actually went to the US to complete. I might not agree with the way you went about it, :P but you know me....I'd never flame you for your decision and still happy you got your first BASE off.

Its not like you did a Headdown 3 way with only 50 jumps..;)

Stay safe, listen to the advice those on here who have managed to stay alive, and have fun.

For those of you who dont know Andy, yes he knows about gear and has been studying up on BASE for quite some time. He has asked lots of questions over the past 1.5 years I've known him and met with quite a few BASE jumpers. He did his homework is what i'm trying to say, and though he didnt do an FJC and did his first jump with someone who is disliked on the forum.....he did do his first jump.

Now i'm sure he will continue with more knowledge and with the help of more credible jumpers (though i dont personally know potatohead).

For those with the personal attacks....lay off. He did something most of you have written about doing yoruselves and survived. Lets use this forum to help guide him into making his next jumps safer. We can either push him away from the help and set him up for failure, or pull him close and help out.

Good job and see you soon Andy.

SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Damn!:P You stole my thunder! If I posted every stupid thing I've done over the last few decades I'd be dodging shit for weeks! Woodpecker and I are in agreement here.

Congrats Andy! ;) Live 'n Learn.

"There was an unforeseen equipment problem."

The bridle wrapping around the tower and ripping off is most certainly not an "unforeseen" problem. It is a major issue that could have been solved by a simple gear check and/or a little common sense. I'm sorry, but the day I don't notice a problem as serious (and avoidable) as this, is the day I quit. Also, I would bring into question the person who PCA'd on the jump. Did he have his eyes closed? That is not something that a competent jumper would easily miss.

PS) Yes, this is a personal attack.

Come on, Mac, you know better.

Making personal attacks might make you feel better, but it's not going to change Andy's behavior. Wouldn't you rather have a discussion with him and actually change the long term outcomes?

I've banned you from this forum for 14 days. I'm sure you and Andy have each other's phone numbers, and you've also got the other forum with this discussion, where the moderation will be a little more understanding of emotional outbursts.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If you done something you felt was right at the time and had someone call you a twat how would you feel? especially someone you considered a friend.

Andrew is probably a very good person to ask that question of, because he had a very similar situation less than a year ago.

I don't know what he said in his PM, bu I bet you can learn some things from his experience that will help you as you move forward.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Andy,

I've edited the threat out of your post.

Under the understood guidelines for bans in this forum, I ought to be banning you for 28 days. I'm not going to do that.

I've banned you for 24 hours. Try to use that time to step away and cool down a little.

There are a lot of good people who are trying to help you. Virtually all of your experienced locals, and certainly all of them with reputations for good judgement and skills, are among them. Try to listen, take a step back, and re-evaluate where you are going, and what you are doing.

I'm sure that Jason will be seeing this as yet more evidence of my moderation bias, and re-bumping the thread about Nick's forum :P.

-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I've banned you for 24 hours.

Fuck's sake...I hate waiting two days for an answer to a simple question. [:/]

Ah well...at least it's not a whole month then aye.

Congratulation! After your first jump, at least 50% of all basejumpers in the world know who you are B|

( I assume 50% read this forum from time to time)

Maybe Tom should let this post be sticky on the top for awhile, to show how to introduce your self to the BASE comunity!