Andy_Copland

First BASE jump

AM tower at night that broadcast gospel music and landing area was a graveyard, pretty sick for a first jump eh?

PCA'd from about 325ft and the bridle ripped clean off. Perfect night and nice path to shoot for that was clear as day when my sight adjusted.

Thanks PotatoHead™
Peace.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Nice choice for landing area.:)So, is BASE for you?

"I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, except I'll die in the end, she said. So what could really go wrong? -----Brian Andreas

I believe so.

Before the jump there was another friend who was gonna go and was talking it all up while i just sat quiet because i really didnt know if i was going to do it.

Physically picking up the rig and putting it on was nearly as tough as making my legs push off. Was sick.

Launching head up his pretty intimidating when a rigs pushing against an object making you lean forward with your arms fully extended.

doesn't sound like a very smart jump to me...

PS - rumor is: the police are looking for potato head, and his local DZ is mad at him.

to add rational reasons to my previous post:

PCA'd from about 325ft

low and guyed tower.

the bridle ripped clean off

at which point? the bridle connection at the canopy is designed to break at 400lbs (around there) of force... what did it wrap around, or what caused this?

I would also like to know if PotatoHead jumped after you.

It was the actual bridle that tore from friction (on the tower). Not the connection.

He locked himself into the tower and i done a double exit count as i lost my nerve on the first. He just sat there, said nothing and let me do my thing. No pressure, it was all my decisions.

So before you slam the guy i'm not a kid who jumps on the band waggon. I'm an adult and make my own choices.

And i know enough to know it wasnt the smartest choice but lets face it. BASE isnt safe is it?

It was the actual bridle that tore from friction (on the tower).

Was it an actual bridle? Or the sewn together piece of 3 different kinds of fabric that he had on the "Death Rig?" If it was that one, did it break at one of the joints, or is it now a 4 segment "bridle?"
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

What was the bridle made of? Dirty laundry?

It's time now! My time now! Give me mine. Give me my wings! - MJK

It was an actual bridle.

And i know enough to know it wasnt the smartest choice but lets face it. BASE isnt safe is it?

If an activity has an inherently high degree of risk, is that a reason to increase the risk, or a reason to try to reduce it as much as possible?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

So if i built my own rig and jumped it from a cliff that would be better? Kudos to that guy because that wasnt dangerous or unsafe.

How about getting a guy who jumped in '66 to jump at bridge day instead? (rip)

Flame me all you want, i done something that i know wasnt an ideal way to start BASE. But you know what? Im happy with it.

I didnt burn any sites or piss off any locals, they all know i jumped it.

I hear ya.

sorry man, was not flaming you. i was actualy replying to toms post. my bad.

your not the first to get into this sport in a 'sketchy' way.

No worries mate

i done something that i know wasnt an ideal way to start BASE. But you know what? Im happy with it.

You didnt die.....but by the sounds of it ( and I'm still trying to interpret what exactly went wrong for the 'bridal to snap' you mention PCA but it sounds like a S/L..???) it was far from an ideal first jump.

Have to say Andy I'm a little dissapointed you dont seem to have listened very carefully to the points that a few UK BASEr's took time to talk to you about...

Not saying that because you have done your first jump...not at all, but rather the thinking gone into the way you have done your first jump ( ie people/equipment and knowledge of equipment).....I could be way of the mark here...and if I am please accept my apologies

Anyway....congrats on the first jump, I know you wanted it....and I know that feeling of wanting it bad...:)Getting yourself on a recognised FJC would be a really smart move now.

I listened to what they said and i still carry it. For someone paying for their own jumps i'd say 66 in a month is pretty current working on canopy drills

I dont plan on going back to the UK expecting to be welcomed and i accept that. All i ask is that people take a step back and remember their hunger for this shit and put themselves back in my position.

andy , if you want to basejump you may have just made things really difficult for yourself when you get back to england. i mean a real setback to your base carrer.

im an english basejumper and i prefer jumping with other people but when i want to go and jump theres no way im calling you.
i know some of the people who have given you advice and to ignore them when it looks like all you needed to do was wait one more skydiving season shows very poor judgement.

to jump with the guy you did and then post it on this website shows a desperate cry for attention.

edit to remove PA ~TA

congratulations on your first base jump and all the attention it gets you.
my hovercraft is full of eels.

Thanks for the personal attack. I think that tells me enough about you.

Like i said, im happy with my decision.

Edit: Cry for attention? get over yourself.

Oh yea, i repeat, get over yourself

Edit: Cry for attention? get over yourself.

then why are you sat on your computer immediately answering every reply to YOUR thread?
my hovercraft is full of eels.

Because im living at the DZ in a foreign country and ran myself flat broke, just so i could get this opportunity.

Im all packed ready for sunset load, if you can think of a better way i should spend my time id like to hear it.

if you can think of a better way i should spend my time id like to hear it.

reading how to do SL's
;-)
Nathan