Para_Frog

The Blondie

Blondie had a very bad skydiving accident today. but I'm putting it here because you all know her and she loves her BASE jumpers. Canopy collapse at about 60 feet. Broke her right femur in two places, one compound, collapsed right lung and broken left toe.
She's pretty banged up.

We're at St Als in Boise.

Send her your good vibes guys. Please.

-Chris

I dont know her, but i feel her pain.

Heal fast, and pamper those scarrs, blondie.

Shari and I are thinking of you both. Hang in there.

That's terrible to hear. I hope she heals fast.
Please keep her in good spirits.
I'll be thinking of you guys.

Be Safe
-Bill

7 Hours of surgery, 9 screws, 1 plate, 1 rod, and a chest tube. And our girl's still smiling.

It's been a long night.

Thanks for the well wishes and PMs. She's smiled at every one.

-Chris
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

get well soon from NC
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Thoughts from TN!

Any ideas or first hand account as to how this happened?

-Alan
"Don't keep your pilot chute a secret"

She was turning base on a nice conservative approach under a Cruiselight 210 and a freak, but very violent rotor off a nearby rise, or turbulance off the runway just whipped the canopy around and collapsed it. She looked like a ragdoll. I was 25 yards away on the ground.

At that initial height, 150 ft or so, it would have been fatal. It re-inflated for a second, then the nose rolled under at about 60 ft. and she went in hard.

S&TA was her coach on the load and witnessed it too. Everyone was at a loss as to what could have been done to correct it. It was very ugly. One of those incidents where you clinch your toes as it unfolds.

We were at Star, ID. All the skydivers and the local VFD were amazing helping me try to keep her comfortable and stable while we waited for Life Flight, even though there wasn't a whole hell of a lot we could do before the traction splint got there.

She got some sleep last night, but she's fighting a fever now. Tough bitch though, she'll be fine.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

She got some sleep last night, but she's fighting a fever now. Tough bitch though, she'll be fine.

Kids okay? WORRIED I'm sure, but other than that...

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'll swing by tonight for well wishes and comic relief! oh and of course a card :P

--------------------------------------------------

Do you have a steak? i'll take it!

Quick update:

So missy has had 3 units of blood transfused (she lost 1/2 her blood volume), which boosted her strength a ton, and the chest tube came out again. From the looks of it, her lung is holding.

Found out on the first set of rounds by the surgeon that Blondie had also fractured her pelvis in 5 places in the fall, but that they weren't bad - so no one bothered to share that little gem with us. (explained some extra pains we couldn't)

She's already begun physical therapy and been up on a walker about a dozen times. She's determined to be walking unassisted within 6 months.

Thanks to everyone who has sent well wishes, phone calls, visits and cards - and a special thanks to Abbie and the Fresno Crew who sent her the friggin palm tree that takes up the whole room - it's her favorite. She said it's her goal to keep it alive at least until she's 100%...just to remind her. And to Tom for the encouragement.

Her folks are bringing up the kids this weekend to see her. They're fine - asked her how long until they can see her jump again. They know momma's tough.

I will hopefully have her back to Twin in 2 or 3 weeks. She wants to have everyone over for beers to thank you. I'll buy koosh balls or something so we can harass her with from across the room.

We need to take advantage while she can't fight back.

Thanks again everyone.

- Chris
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

Beautiful freefall.

One very tough girl.

Heal well babe.

RobH

The Amazon gets sprung Saturday. We'll be in Twin sometime in the afternoon.

I'm bringing Patron. Gonna have a "Pimp My Walker" contest.

Check the new hardware...
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

She was turning base on a nice conservative approach under a Cruiselight 210 and a freak, but very violent rotor off a nearby rise, or turbulance off the runway just whipped the canopy around and collapsed it. She looked like a ragdoll. I was 25 yards away on the ground.

Dust devil? I don't think they're as common at Star as they are here, but I'm sure I've seen at least a couple of them there. Best wishes on a quick recovery.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

It acted just like one - saw one whack someone at Eloy once - but this was minus the dust...completely invisible.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

It acted just like one - saw one whack someone at Eloy once - but this was minus the dust...completely invisible.

The invisible ones are plenty common too, if they're just forming or if there's been recent rain or substantial vegetation such that the dust isn't particularly mobile.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)