n0b0dy

question about the wind? for twin falls locals?

asking twin falls locals and/or jumpers who frequent the area often?

at what point do you stop jumping when it's windy?

10 mph ,15 mph, 20mph, 25 mph?

never having been there before and will be sometime soon. was just curious what the locals do when the wind hits a certain mph?

It depends more on the direction and quality of the wind than the absolute magnitude.

If the wind is turbulent, it will shut you down sooner.

If the wind is coming from north or south (crosswind), it tends to generate turbulence as it rotors down the canyon wall. This is pretty easy to observe if you feel a crosswind at the exit point and the flag in the landing area is showing a crosswind in the opposite direction.

As a general rule of thumb, I stop jumping in a clean wind from east or west (tailwind or headwind) when it creates whitecaps on the water. I know some people who will jump past that point, but not many, and I know people who will sit out before then, but I think that most people use the whitecaps as an easy to observe rule of thumb.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

just so i know for comparison. about how many m.p.h is it when the whitecaps are showing? just a ballpark figure?- not written is stone? thank you.

just so i know for comparison. about how many m.p.h is it when the whitecaps are showing? just a ballpark figure?- not written is stone? thank you.

"Whitecaps" is a standard feature on the Beaufort wind scale.

See http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scales/beaufort.html

Whitecaps begin around 12 mph, and by 20 mph they are all over.
This is true in TF and anywhere else.