iiro

Jeb's and Luigi's wingsuit flight under the Christ Statue in Rio

Yes there is...

But he is moving fast and the footage is taken from above. It is very hard to see from that angle. But you can see where he makes contact because his tail wing collapses a bit. We still have not gotten to see all the camera angles yet, we are hoping there is one that shows it better. All I know is I landed next to him and he was as white as a sheet. He then told me he hit a tree in free fall and I was like bullshit, you would be dead. He then showed me his wing-suit. There is no question he made contact...

Jeb Corliss

what canopy where you using. It look like instant opening
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."

I was using a Flik a troll and a blackjack on this job :)

OK, it's clear Luigi didn't land a wingsuit, but can we at least give him credit for the first successful touch-and-go?;)

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

But you can see where he makes contact because his tail wing collapses a bit. We still have not gotten to see all the camera angles yet, we are hoping there is one that shows it better. All I know is I landed next to him and he was as white as a sheet. He then told me he hit a tree in free fall and I was like bullshit, you would be dead. He then showed me his wing-suit. There is no question he made contact...

Jeb Corliss

Be careful out there. When flying like this, accidently finding yourself half a meter lower than planned is not cool, an I'd call it a total failure. I'm glad he survived.

Not saying this was the case here, but the idea that "flying slightly dirty would give you the ability to climb relitive to you flight path. If you cut it close maxed out you have nothing left if you get low. " is all wrong and must not be practiced when doing close flybys. This kind of flying has ended with close-calls several times and maybe at least one fatality (DW? not sure about this, I wasn't there, but a reliable(?!) rumor indicates that it might have been the case). In my opinion this kind of flying should only be done with lots of speed and on a steeper glide angle than you are capable of.

Anyway, looked like a whole lot of fun.

Impressive and much props to Luigi and Jeb for this accomplishemnt.

One qustion though. There was an inflight video where it appeard that they "sank it in" not flying the suit until pretty close.

If this is true, why would they do that instead of setting up a tad back and fly vs sink the suit?

AND

"flying slightly dirty would give you the ability to climb relitive to you flight path. If you cut it close maxed out you have nothing left if you get low. " is all wrong and must not be practiced when doing close flybys.

Glad I am not the only one to see this :)
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

ps. what's up with the "box-position" pull on the first flier? [:/] I know Luigi is a skygod and all, but seriously...

Since this is technically a skydive, i'd call a case for stupidity and luckB|

I saw the video and he didn"t hit the bush. Because it was near Christ Statue it was one of those talking bushes like in the holy book so the bush was moving on its own.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

ps. what's up with the "box-position" pull on the first flier? [:/]

Yep, that made me do a double-take.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ps. what's up with the "box-position" pull on the first flier? [:/] I know Luigi is a skygod and all, but seriously...

Can you explain what you mean to a noob? All I see is him collapse his wings and pull. Isn't that how it's normally done?

Since this is technically a skydive, i'd call a case for stupidity and luckB|

You are definitely not alone in that thinking, bro.

Can you explain what you mean to a noob? All I see is him collapse his wings and pull. Isn't that how it's normally done?

Normal freefall pull: Right arm goes back to BOC deployment handle at bottom of container; Left arm bends at elbow and forearm and goes out in front of head to maintain lift so jumper doesn't drop headdown. Left arm holds position as right arm throws pilot chute.

Wingsuit pull: Rule #1 is stay symmetrical! As right arm goes back to BOC deployment handle at bottom of container, left arm does exact same movement with left hand touching opposite side of container even though there is no handle there. Body arches back and legs bend at knees to bring head up. As right arm throws pilot chute, left arm makes exact same movement.

Luigi was flying a wingsuit, but he did the former. I've never seen that before, and I was surprised he could maintain stability during the pull.

Actually, Omar has been known to get kind of lazy sometimes ;):P He's certainly pulled moving only his right arm... quickly! However, he has many jumps on an Acro and was rather current (at least at the time! :D)

Personally I'm not that daft. ;)

--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

Luigi was flying a wingsuit, but he did the former. I've never seen that before, and I was surprised he could maintain stability during the pull.

This used to be the way they deployed back in the day...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

symmetry can be taken in 2 different dimension though,

if he is producing the same lift and drag on both sides, it should not matter if the movements are the same. he is better than us, right?

of course, you could just pull super duper fast...then it doesnt matter.

symmetry can be taken in 2 different dimension though,

if he is producing the same lift and drag on both sides, it should not matter if the movements are the same. he is better than us, right?

of course, you could just pull super duper fast...then it doesnt matter.

Stepping through the HD download I see him doing some radical asymmetrical adjustments, (especially with his legs), to stay stable. No thanks; I'll stick to staying symmetric.

pretty awesome video, but black suites makes it kind of hard to see red or orange or white would have made them stand out a little more against the ground
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

Don't know if it matters, but I'll share some thoughts regarding this event and the likes in general.

This is directed towards Jeb and Luigi in particular. Being the "gods" they are, even if they don't know how to take care of themselves, they do know it's up to them and them only to do so. But I feel a bit awkward when this kind of stuff is presented the way it is. Another discussion/flaming comes to mind. Maybe it was in order, I don't know. But I suspect it was. If for no other reason than the signalling effect. At least I will not project the idea that doing stunts that rely on anything but technique, training, planning and control, is cool at all. That's just me. I love to see radical flying being pulled of. But don't bother showing it until you have it dialed. (unless it has a carnage value;))

We all make mistakes. We all make judgment calls that shouldn't have been made. And we learn. We also try to teach others from our mistakes, so the same ones don't have to be repeated over an over. One thing I don't think we should do when we have made a mistake is to a)pretend it as planned and therefore not a mistake b)brag about how rad it turned out to be c)flash it as a success when your survival was due to pure luck

I guess this can be very hard when the sponsor angel/demon is looking over your shoulder. But I for one would prefer not seeing unsuccessful stunts portrayed as "the coolest stunt ever".

I base my point of view on the "facts" that
1- Luigi hit a branch in freefall -> cannot have been planned, therefore a failure
2- "he was white as a sheet" -> he narrowly escaped death and he knew it. In my opinion luck is the only factor here, and there was a lot of it.
3- Seeing the uncontrolled pre-pull sequence tells me he was not in control (might have been due to being "white as a sheet")
(4)- In my opinion the video shows scary and dangerous flightpattern on Luigi's side, (and I'm not talking about the flyby itself) with less then full speed and good working range. I'd interpret this to be poorly planned and/or poorly executed. I'm open for a discussion as to how these flights should be made (technically).

If any or all of these "facts" are not correct, please enlighten me.

Of course there is a lot to be learned from unsuccessful events. So what about this one? Please share with us, Jeb and Luigi. I'm eager to learn all I can. Or maybe you disagree with everything I've said? If so I'd appreciate if you'd explain why.

throw a frisbee. it'll ocasionally drop a foot or two. see my point.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

not really. if your life depended on it not dropping, would you call it anything but a failure if it did? even if you survived?
"occasionally" is not a phrase in the classic physics dictionary (we're not dealing with quantum physics here;)). So it's up to your performance. Me talking about "half a meter" earlier was a figure of speech. The point is that you have to set the margins as to what ocasionally happens. That's why we (some of us at least) don't jump underhung lowcliffs with nasty taluses on a regular basis ("occasionally" is a phrase in the BASE manual, appears before 180:o)

We can all make mistakes, but isn't it more productive to learn from them than to brag about them?
Were the margins wrong?
Did something out of the ordinary happen? In that case, what?
Unpredictable windy conditions?
Unpredicted suit performance (stiching, fabric, grippers...)?

All i know is, something or someone failed. Without analysing what it was, it will happen again. For sure. Especially if it is portrayed as "cool".

[Another thing to think about. If youre trying to fly close to an object. make sure you are flying so steep that you can easely lift far above the place if you feel that you are in a bad spot. As soon as you breake, stall or flattern out your suit you are lost.]

sorry if this quote doesn't fit here

BASE jumping is a self regulating activity where each individual does the risk analysis for each jump and determines how to manage the risks and if the risks are worth the rewards. Risk is objective, any BASE jumper can determine the risks for a jump. Reward is subjective, only the BASE jumper can determine the rewards for a jump. It would be interesting if the BASE jumpers would explain what they determined were the risks, how they managed the risks, and the rewards. However, BASE jumping is a self-regulating activity, and thus the BASE jumpers do not have to explain anything to anyone.

Edit: It would be more helpful reading an explanation from the BASE jumpers making the jump than from NickDG about the BASE jumpers and the jump.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Was this particular event a BASE jump?

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Was this particular event a BASE jump?

No, this particular event was not a BASE jump. However, it had many of the risks of a BASE jump.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch