iiro

Jeb's and Luigi's wingsuit flight under the Christ Statue in Rio

This subject is also at wingsuit forum, but i guess it might also fit under this category.

Statistics: hand to the rail is 86 ft

Witnesses said Jeb flew from 2 and 6 ft of hitting the rail and he repeated the flight four times.

Good job, bro!

WINGED MAN MAKES HISTORY - SOARS WITHIN TWO METERS OF CHRIST THE REDEEMER

Historic Flying Man Footage Captured as Brazilian Professional Athlete Luigi Cani Narrowly Escapes Tragedy over Corcovado Mountain

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (April 26, 2007) / PRNewswire / -

Earlier today, residents of and visitors to Rio de Janeiro witnessed something never seen before, when Brazilian native and Go Fast! Sports and Beverage Company-sponsored athlete Luigi Cani soared under his own wings within two meters of Christ the Redeemer, atop Corcovado Mountain. Further etching this amazing spectacle into the minds of onlookers, Cani freefell at terminal velocity, skimmed the earth, and continued flight, uninjured.

"This was the most exhilarating flight I've ever experienced," explained Cani, who skimmed the bushes after flying past Christ the Redeemer. In spite of skimming, Cani maintained flight long enough to get to a location high enough above the ground to open his parachute. "It was almost miraculous," Cani said, "I truly felt a greater power was watching over me."

"I am hoping that the imagery captured during this flight will convey the sense of freedom, emotion and awareness of everything around you; especially when you only have control over certain elements in life." Cani continued.

It was Cani's calm, clear-headed and fast response that allowed him to continue flying and avoid fatal disaster after scraping the mountain.

This momentous flight took place less than two weeks after Brazil launched a campaign for Rio de Janeiro's iconic Christ the Redeemer statue to be named one of seven new wonders of the world, Cani hopes with his legendary flight to embody his country's vision, which believes that the outstretched arms of the statue represent a feeling of national pride.

After more than a year of planning this event, and with the help of his frequent BASE Jumping friend, Jeb Corliss, Cani was able to freefall past the statue, which stands 38 meters (125 feet) atop the 710 meter (2,330-foot) tall Corcovado Mountain in the Tijuca Forest National Park overlooking the city and its world renown beaches.

he 'scraped' the mountain in a wingsuit!?!? sick. just SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[explained Cani, who skimmed the bushes after flying past Christ the Redeemer.]

well he probably didn't hit the ground, only the bushes, but it's still incredible that he could sustained his flight.

it can't have been on purpose. would he want to touch the bushes in full flight? he probably tried to go very close, but not that close. is a wingsuit flight so controllable? if he had gone a foot or so further down, the bush could have made him spinning or make him loose control.

i think its possible to control that well. but maybe im just delusional and have never been closer than 200' to the ground in a WS:S:o

the bushes can't have have had much resistance where he touched them?

if he just touched them for a second, then i bet it was fine. 'skimming' the bushes might produce a bit of resistance!

Jeb,

What suit were you flying?

C

looks like jeb is in a s3 and Luigi is in a s3s or an s6. hard to tell which from the shots/vid

*edit - looks closer to a s6

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

if the bushes had slowed his flight, he couldn't have gained the required altitude for opening. an impact with bushes at such a high speed must be violent. so he probably only tuched them wiht his belly.
could they have easyly made him unstable in flight?

Jeb is jumping a Robi Pecnik S4 prototype. Luigi S6 can holder.

Impressive and much props to Luigi and Jeb for this accomplishemnt.

One qustion though. There was an inflight video where it appeard that they "sank it in" not flying the suit until pretty close.

If this is true, why would they do that instead of setting up a tad back and fly vs sink the suit?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I have been there for another stunt some years before. What you guys did is awesome. CongratS.
take care,
space

If this is true, why would they do that instead of setting up a tad back and fly vs sink the suit?

Same reason you set up conservatively with a canopy -- because it's a lot easier to lose altitude in a wingsuit than it is to gain it.

Good job guys,

Just guessing but flying slightly dirty would give you the ability to climb relitive to you flight path. If you cut it close maxed out you have nothing left if you get low.

Greeny

the visitors on the escalator got their own stuntshow...

did go fast installed also a historic kiosk on top to sell lemonade ??
what´s next ?? passing under the nose of the christ statue to feel even more holy energy ?

bravo to the pilots and flights.
hannes

so you two are interpreting this press release that he made physical contact with foliage?

my interpretation was bullshit, i guess. in the press article stood he skimmed the bushes and that means he flew really close to it, but he didn't touch it. i thought skimmed ment scratched... a dictionary helps:$

He made contact with the tree 100%. He had stains on his suit from the leaves brushing his body.

so you two are interpreting this press release that he made physical contact with foliage?

:P:P

i kinda wish there was a toung-out smiley that didnt not have a winking eye. :P

but i agree, listening to the press's story of something like that should be taken smothered in Tabasco sauce, and a grain of salt.

He made contact with the tree 100%. He had stains on his suit from the leaves brushing his body.

Geez...

Now I can't help but ask... but is there video of this particular moment?
I really don't know what I'm talking about.