redfox

Stefan "Obi" Oberländer dead

Just to clear things up:

Stefan Oberlander died during a wingsuit jump from a paraglider on the island of El Hierro on April 22. I was with him at the time.

His plan was to jump from the paraglider and fly his wingsuit over a small hill above the normal landing area. He got his suit flying as normal within a couple of seconds, but after making a turn towards the hill to set up for the pass he didn't have enough altitude to clear the hill safely. He deployed early, and had line stretch and probably 65% canopy inflation before 'landing'. We were at the scene within minutes and he was in a rescue helicopter within about an hour, but died of internal bleeding a few hours later.

I'm going to be off of email for a few weeks but there were 2 other jumpers there who read this forum occasionally and may be able to answer more questions if there are any.

Stefan was a very skilled jumper and an amazing athlete in general, and he will be sorely missed!
His flight will be long.

-Matt

...set up for the pass he didn't have enough altitude to clear the hill safely.

www.proximityflyingfatalities.info anyone? I think we're in the low tens right now.

This sucks, Obi struck me as a super smart and low key guy. I was looking forward to meeting him some day.