autoset

Skydiving and BASE, different feelings on exit

I just fell it a split second before the jump, when I start to run out or let the object go.....

During the free fall I feel freedom, of everyF&$%^%$thing........ job, money, beer, it is just me and the cliff........

Cya

In BASE, you almost always start from zero airspeed, so your body is feeling 9.8m/s^2 acceleration [relative to earth, you are static, no MOVEMENT]but... (in physics sense, at your computer right now, you are FEELING acceleration[gravity])

in BASE, you feel ZERO acceleration, for at least one second, then as wind builds, acceleration is beginning to be fealt again, and at terminal, it feels like a skydive.

you seem to be saying jumpers are subject to the standard acceleration due to gravity, but fail to feel it until they build airspeed. it sounds like you notice a lack of a force opposing gravity, not gravity itself.

what about zero G's in an Otter?
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

hmmm,... this is getting weird.

ok, (and i know you know this... more so than i do:P)

so, standing in one place, on earth, solid ground....
one is FEELING a force equivilent to 9.8m/s^2. but is not EXPERIENCING acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 relative to the earth. this is gravity.

when one falls off an object, with zero wind, until relative airflow begins, the jumper is FEELING zero force, equvilent to 0m/s^2. but, this person is EXPERIENCING acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 relative to earth. this is gravity.

of course, were i writing a physics book, the vocab would be different. but im not smart enough to write a physics book.

we could get into tons of shite about free fall... anything from horizontal push/verticle push off to how coriolis takes an effect on a freefall. but that stuff does not matter... its still magic.

edit to add: ll of these should have the " ~ "

what about zero G's in an Otter?

hmmm... in my last post... i was not talking about the forces working against gravity... just trying to explain it.

now, ill try it that way...

so in an otter, or any plane, at straight/level unaccelerated flight, there are 2 forces. that of gravity, being ~9.8m/s^2, and the force of the aircraft working in the opposite direction, ~9.8m/s^2. this is basicaly the same as standing on the ground, only the ground does not cost $20 to hold you up.

in 'zero g' in the airplane, first what it happening, is a dive to pick up speed.

first, the aircraft is pitched down, changing the forces. they become un-balanced.
gravity- still doing 9.8m/s^2
otter- ~9.8m/s^2

there is a transition to the dive, where the acceleration is less than 9.8m/s^2

then, the pull out, this is to start the plane in a parabola, skyward. again the forces are changed
gravity-still doing 9.8m/s^2
Otter- ~20m/s^2

and now for the zero G, the pilot pushes the nose over, so the wings are producing no lift, and the engines are producing enough thrust to counteract paracite drag of the Otter.

gravity-STILL at 9.8m/s^2
Otter- [depending on how shit hot the pilot is]~0m/s^2

then, pretty much the oposite of how it all started, and level unacclerated flight is returned.

yeah, yeah, yeah.

I did not mean to kill the thread with the physics.:P
(and I doubt the CASA piots performed all that stuff when they floated jumpers lying on the ramp...)

more to the point...
do you get the same "roller coaster" sensation during a zero g (whatever make or model aircraft)?

do you get the sensation (for the first 1 sec) stepping off a diving board/platform?

I do not. maybe I'm just not a sensitive guy...:P

there may very well be some additional churning action in my stomach, but I would not compare it to a roller coaster!

edited to add...
back in the day, roller coasters coasted on rails. they did the normal up and down stuff, but quite tame. they did not want the cars to start jumping the tracks!

then they devised rides with the rollers hooked around the rails. this prevented the cars from jumping off the rails. this permitted "unnatural" bends that can "throw" people in the air as the car gets pulled down.

as a previous poster said, some internal organs are not supported well in this "negative g" situation. that leads to what I define as a "roller coaster feeling." others may define the sensation based on an original style ride...

DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Neil's theory makes most sense to me. I only feel it in a sitting position like aircraft zoomies or rollercoaster or getting airborne while driving - never in an arched position.

g.
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"

not on zero g's

not on diving boards

yes on rollar coasters still

yes on base jumps (on the first nano second like someone said)

maybe it's just vertigo? :S

For the most part, that roller coaster feeling is caused by the roller coaster pulling you down faster than you'd descend naturally.

I've never got that same type of feeling by jumping from anything. I've had a similar feeling before jumping. Perhaps it was nausea.

I like the nervous feeling but that stomach into the chest thing doesn't happen.

This explains it. There is no way on earth you can get that "roller coaster" feeling from skydiving or BASE. Anyone that says they feel it, is confusing other feelings. BASE feels like "floating", its only the visuals that tell you different, and skydiving feels like a cushion as soon as you exit.

Just because your stomach is in a knot before you exit does not mean its the jump that is causing it, its you that is causing it, and thats the magic of natural drugs.

“Sigh” Finally... thank you Mac. I thought I was the only person reading this posting and thinking wtf. There is no roller coaster effect from skydiving or BASE. On a roller coaster, the “roller coaster effect” isn’t felt as you’re increasing speed and moving downward before a loop. It is felt as you are hitting the loop and moving upward against the force of gravity (g-forces). Which then takes us to centripetal force which aids in completing the loop. If you feel any abnormal feelings in your stomach at the time of the loop, its simply because your organs are moving down in your abdominal cavity. Another example of moving organs is in Kinematics of Trauma. Car traveling at 100mph, car hits tree and stops, driver continues forward and impacts the steering wheel and stops, organs continue forward and slam into either the rib cage or abdominal cavity.

In a roller coaster, it’s simply moving upward against the force of gravity that pushes down on your body. Your body pushes into the seat along with your poorly suspended internal organs that move downward in your abdominal cavity due to that changing force. Which in turn produces many different feelings within ones abdomen.

In BASE, you are simply accelerating downward, with gravity, without an outside force changing that path of initial acceleration. Your internal organs move at the same rate of downward motion as your body. (Newton’s Law)

That’s the magic of natural drugs.

Exactly! And if your stomach is “all in a knot” before that loop, or before a jump, it’s those natural drugs! Pick up any A & P and Pharmacology Textbook and read up. Its quite amazing how many drugs the body naturally produces and how they work to control every function in our body.

Coco

Edit: Spelling

“Sigh” Finally... thank you Mac. I thought I was the only person reading this posting and thinking wtf. There is no roller coaster effect from skydiving or BASE. On a roller coaster, the “roller coaster effect” isn’t felt as you’re increasing speed and moving downward before a loop. It is felt as you are hitting the loop and moving upward against the force of gravity (g-forces).

Then your experience of roller coasters is simply different from mine, and from that of a lot of other people on the thread. Whenever I've heard "that roller coaster feeling" talked about, it's been the feeling as the ride makes its way over a crest. The same feeling can be had sitting in a car as it comes over some crests in the road. I suppose some might feel a similar sensation with acceleration in other directions, too -- I expect it's caused by any change in the forces suspending the internal organs.

That you don't feel it on a BASE jump -- I never have -- doesn't mean everybody else is retarded for saying that they have.

doesn't mean everybody else is retarded

When did this word "retarded" come back into vogue?

I also enjoy that feeling but do not really get it from jumping.
Instead of just my stomach, my whole abdomen reports the
acceleration downward. The intensity of this sensation varies
with each jump.

For example, on BASE, balloon, chopper, & ultralight jumps it can
be strong. On low altitude cessna jumps I feel it a little bit and
solo exits from a turbine not at all. However, occasionally when
I have a really heavy tandem passenger I feel it then :)

From a Polish BASE website http://www.polishbase.offheading.com/cotojestbase.html:

"Wyskakujesz i wisisz przez ułamek sekundy w pustej przestrzeni. Nagle Matka Ziemia chwyta twoje jaja, i z całej siły przyciąga je do siebie"

"You exit and for a fraction of a second you are suspended in empty space. Then Mother Earth grabs you by your nuts all pulls them down as hard as She can".

rollercoasters do that? i havent been on one in 10 years.

i remember it being boring. but i thought thatit was always zero g or less.

doesn't mean everybody else is retarded for saying that they have.

I disagree, anyone that says they experience the "roller coaster" effect on a BASE jump is retarded....

doesn't mean everybody else is retarded for saying that they have.

I disagree, anyone that says they experience the "roller coaster" effect on a BASE jump is retarded....

come on man.... the roller coaster effect can be described as that feeling you get driving a car, and go ver a hill and feel lighter, i wouldnt call them retarded. i would use the next worse thing. whuffo. ;)

The biggest difference I notice b/w a roller coaster and base jump is that the knot in my stomach from a base jump is from an element of fear. On a roller coaster, its the forced acceleration from an increased weight that creates the 'stomach drop.'
On a base jump, when simply falling (no aerials), I definitely get and enjoy the first couple of seconds of acceleration. Still get the 'drop' feeling but its not as evident, considering natural body chemistry, as with a coaster with a significant increased mass.

doesn't mean everybody else is retarded

When did this word "retarded" come back into vogue?

Since Lewis Black told us it was ok to use.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

In an airplane, car, or roller coaster you can experience various g loadings including negative (floating up, being pulled down by the seatbelt), zero(weightless), one(normal), and greater than one(being pushed into the seat).

On initial freefall exit from a BASE jump you experience weightlessness or zero g's. For the next ten seconds of freefall or so you gradually accelerate and the relative wind speed builds up. After you accelerate to terminal the force of the wind is equal to your weight, so you experience one g. On opening, your body is slowed by the harness and experiences a g loading greater than one.

A skydive is similar but you do not experience much of a zero g weightless feeling if the aircraft is already moving fast through the relative wind.

So if you describe the roller coaster feeling as negative g's, you don't normally experience that on a BASE jump or a skydive after you've left the airplane. You do experience postive g's similar to a roller coaster going through a loop during the opening.