autoset

Skydiving and BASE, different feelings on exit

I remember i was really worried before my first tandem because i didn't know how it would feel, i thought it would feel like a roller coaster in my stomach (hate that feeling) but i got surprised because it felt like floating more than falling.

Then i started looking around for a reason of why this happens and found the whole "horizontal speed vs vertical speed, acceleration, etc" thing which seems pretty logical to me.

Anyway when you jump BASE you DO feel that roller coaster feeling in your stomach right? because you are accelerating starting from 0, unlike skydiving where you jump out of a plane with certain horizontal speed already.

Anyway when you jump BASE you DO feel that roller coaster feeling in your stomach right? because you are accelerating starting from 0, unlike skydiving where you jump out of a plane with certain horizontal speed already.

Lots of people don't. I think it's something that your body trains itself not to feel, somehow, over time.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

i still feel it.

i think that i have consienceiouselerly (sp?) told my body not to get used to it.

i am at the point that i am not afraid of that feeling in OH SHIT! sense, but i love the feeling.

I have fealt it more paragliding than i have in BASE. doing acro under a wing, the parabolas you can get, its great.

I get it... I like it.

Me too. Combine it with the visuals.... yyyyeeehhhhh B|

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

I think you can feel it when you are very very relaxed or not doing multiple sick fast rotating aerials. I like it a lot.
Symmetry doesn't matter.

I never did, and still don't, feel that. Which is good for me because, like you, I hate that feeling. Maybe it's a (sub)conscious thing. I don't like it and maybe make myself not feel (or possibly notice) it.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~Adam Savage

i dont trust BASE jumpers who dont like that feeling. there is something wrong with that.

correction

[sarcasm]i dont trust anyone who does not love that feeling[/sarcasm]

Had it BAD until I started looking at the ground on exit vice the horizon (around jump 10)...then it morphed into a hard-on.

But I ain't never been quite right. :S

- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

I think you can feel it when you are very very relaxed or not doing multiple

thats what she said!
we need to talk about your flare..

For the most part, that roller coaster feeling is caused by the roller coaster pulling you down faster than you'd descend naturally.

I've never got that same type of feeling by jumping from anything. I've had a similar feeling before jumping. Perhaps it was nausea.

I like the nervous feeling but that stomach into the chest thing doesn't happen.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I also enjoy that feeling but do not really get it from jumping.
Instead of just my stomach, my whole abdomen reports the
acceleration downward. The intensity of this sensation varies
with each jump.

For example, on BASE, balloon, chopper, & ultralight jumps it can
be strong. On low altitude cessna jumps I feel it a little bit and
solo exits from a turbine not at all. However, occasionally when
I have a really heavy tandem passenger I feel it then :)
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

Theory-I think that 'pit' in the stomach feeling is your viscera moving in your abdominal cavity. When you go on a roller coaster or over a drop in a car. your intestines move down (vertical plane). They are poorly suspended by internal ligaments. In contrast, if you exit in a normal base position leading chest first, then your guts can only move front:back i.e constrained by your back and abdomen. You canb test this by exiting in a sit fly from a big wall.

The argument about already moving when you exit from a plane is equally valid.

What is that feeling I get after pitching...and waiting...

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

It feels like you're freefalling.B| Unlike most skydives you can feel the wind pick up as you accelerate.

You may experience negative g's on a rollercoaster or in an airplane, but in initial freefall you're experiencing zero g's, until you reach terminal velocity and are back to one g due to the forces of the wind. You also experience one g when you're standing on the ground or in level flight.

wouldnt complare it to a roller coaster by any means, but yes... :D

you want me to do what???

Anyway when you jump BASE you DO feel that roller coaster feeling in your stomach right?

Nope, not at all.... nothing like it...

In BASE, you almost always start from zero airspeed, so your body is feeling 9.8m/s^2 acceleration [relative to earth, you are static, no MOVEMENT]but... (in physics sense, at your computer right now, you are FEELING acceleration[gravity])

in BASE, you feel ZERO acceleration, for at least one second, then as wind builds, acceleration is beginning to be fealt again, and at terminal, it feels like a skydive.

if you have ever been cliff jumping, it feels like that. go jump off a 10 meter diving board at a pool, and you will feel what we feel.

everyone feels it, its not like some people escape the realms of physics, just some minds are trained not to notice it.

i like feeling it.

i notice it on roller coasters, but not in subterminal freefall.
BASE, rope, cliff jumping (5-20m) into water, etc.
Nathan