pocbase

Art Project

Been trotting my mind for a while, not the tattoo artist thing, that also, but the Art Project.

Read the megalomaniac crap or cut the crap and go straight to the asterisk* at the bottom of the crap.

My buddy Jean-Marc Mouligné followed his dream of making a human catapult. On viewing the footage he sent me, I couldn't believe my eyes; one of the most powerful poetic statements I had ever witnessed. I thought: "I want to do something like that, something that shows that sort of poetry and gets everybody smiling."

I think I am an artist. It's not because I do arty things like painting and drawing and stuff that I think I am an artist but in the way I live. I work hard but I can't hold a steady job because I get bored; which is probably why I have ended up in the movie industry where nothing lasts more than a season. My insurances bounce every month because I just don't keep enough dough on the account and every month I go through the same process of renewal. Once in a while I will do something cool but overall I am just totally unreliable. I don't ponder on the technical aspects of things as much as I do the spiritual. I get obsessed with things (like BASE or Gargoyles) and learn all I can about them. And on and on for 3 pages or so.

I have been in to Gargoyles lately. Reading, drawing and sculpting. the first two are reposts of a gargoyle I made with my wife's clay. The second Gargoyle was made from a piece of driftwood found on the beach.

*The Art Project
Kind of like the couple that wraps buildings and monuments up all around the world. It's for the effect, the poetic statement. I want to make a life size gargoyle: steel frame, hollow, pigmented concrete finish. haul this thing up the mountain and place it and bolt it near the exit of my favorite cliff. That's the plan.

Thoughts?
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

I love finding cool things like that in unexpected places. Go for it.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Kind of like the couple that wraps buildings and monuments up all around the world.

This couple?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christo_and_Jeanne-Claude

You'd probably also be interested in this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_Gormley

Fun stuff.

gus: thanks dude!

Istvan: That's the one and shot for the other link.

Nick: Thanks also. I did most of my growing up in rural France. The Gothic Gargoyles have fascinated me and I have only recently started exploring that fascination.

Another drawing; still influenced by a picture of a statue found on the net...... Until I find my own.
With work coming up this project is going to be quite a long term thing I think but I'd really like to see it through.
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

I want to make a life size gargoyle: steel frame, hollow, pigmented concrete finish.

so... life size?
how big is a live gargoyle? :P;):P

if it is feasible and site appropriate, consider making a hand as a s/l anchor point...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Big like me man:P

The s\l anchor point sounds cool but imagine my distress if somebody finds a way to hurt themselves because of it...

Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

if somebody finds a way to hurt themselves because of it...

then the gargoyle would be slacking...:P
(aren't they protective creatures?)
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Hi Patrick

Isn't that cliff on a nature reserve? What if some hikers find it, take some pics and send it in to a paper (lets face it finding something unusual like that in such an unexpected place could be newsworthy locally)? Just a consideration in case the authorities take a dim view and your cool project gets repossessed (or hijacked! :D).

Will

on the topic of random placement...

at our university, somebody set up a sculpture with out anyones permission, and without telling anyone. and now it sits in on of our parking lots, and it's a super duper cool story to tell people.

I say go for it. I'll help carry it ;-)

hey Will,

Somebody sent me this link. Consider it my reply. I had seen some of the stuff but never knew who it was. you guys probably know all about him.

ps: the link seems to work better in Safari for some reason.
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

I feel this warrants another reply;

The site is apparently private property. The water is a reserve in that crawfish and abalone fishing are forbidden. That doesn't stop the poachers though and early in the morning we spot quite a few of them from the top; in fact, they know us now... it gets quite freaky walking through there sometimes.
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Take nothing but pictures....leave nothing but footprints. This saying has been around a long time. I absolutely LOVE your artwork (especially NickNitro in his mom's house), but I think bolting a gargoyle to an exit point would go against the few morals that are part of BASE jumping.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Sure, I have had mixed feelings about that one.
Look, a statue shouldn't have a major impact on the environment and bolting is something climbers do every day. There would be no threat to the animal and plant life really...... well ok, I am still thinking about it but I can assure you that if I do it I'm not going to drive a humvee and take a group of 50 to install the thing.
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

um.... i thinks its kind of a lord of the rings movie set kind of things.

but the sculpture looks like it is going to be super cool.

i say you put it somewhere like on the edge of a building in your fav city... bolt it down. ask no one.

I leave a hell of lot more in cities than footprints, thats for sure.

Nice one Patrick!........ Ill have to come down again to check it out when its up.

Good luck!

Reiner.;)

Lattest addition.
Got quite a collection of these clay ones building up.
1 week and 1/2 then I will be back up country. On my return I will be starting on the life size one.
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Got quite a collection of these clay ones building up.

You've got quite the Closer Encounters of the Third Kind obsession going. When are you going to sculpt Devil's Tower?

Can't wait to visit the lifesize one at the exit point!

It's time now! My time now! Give me mine. Give me my wings! - MJK

[Ten48]You've got quite the Closer Encounters of the Third Kind obsession going.

I had to wicki that one; I had forgotten all about it but indeed it sounds a lot like me lately... scary!

[Fish]in the style of your cartoons, check the iBASE cartoon

génial le lien!............. maintenant ta gueule Fish! :P
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen