inzite

Swiss Valley, 27 April - 30 April

I'll be in the Swiss Valley 27 April - 30 April. Any other jumpers/locals who want to hook up, send me a PM. I'm planning on staying at Balmer's Hostel.

It''ll be my first time in the Swiss Valley, so I'd appreciate contact info of any locals, as well as any site guidelines that aren't mentioned in the "Jumping Guidelines" thread here.

Cheers,
Will

P.S. Any suggestions about gifts to bring for Air Glacier / local farmers? I'm from Moscow, if you can think of any Russian paraphernalia that would interest. :D

P.S. Any suggestions about gifts to bring for Air Glacier / local farmers? I'm from Moscow, if you can think of any Russian paraphernalia that would interest. :D

Personally, I think just about all Russian paraphernalia is pretty cool. Nesting dolls, cloisonne stuff, ex-Soviet things (even knock offs)...

I think you forgot the most important Russian export :P:ph34r:

(And no, I'm not referring to mail order brides)

I think you forgot the most important Russian export :P:ph34r:

It might be appreciated, but how do pack oil in your suitcase?

My advice is to skip Balmer's and stay at either the Valley hostel or the Horner.

Balmer's is overloaded with American college kids backpacking through Europe, and unless that's your crowd, it's not nearly as nice a place to stay as either of the others. Plus, from Balmer's (which is in Interlaken) you have to ride the train up to the Valley, where either of the others is right there in the middle of the cliffs.

I've stayed in all three (Balmer's, Valley hostel, Horner). I personally prefer the Horner, but I'd take either of the smaller places in preference to Balmer's.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Well, I haven't made reservations yet, so the accommodation question is still up in the air. I stayed at Balmer's three years ago and had a good time, believe it or not. But like you mentioned, it's an active place filled with college-age backpackers. I don't plan on sleeping much if I stay there.

Of course, staying there will mean starting the day 45 minutes later. If I remember correctly it's about a 10-minute walk to the train station from Balmer's, and then another 20-minute ride to the Valley. So in theory I can leave early in the morning and be in the Valley 30-45 minutes later.

it's about a 10-minute walk to the train station from Balmer's, and then another 20-minute ride to the Valley. So in theory I can leave early in the morning and be in the Valley 30-45 minutes later.

...hassle...

+ you will definitely miss the early birds and you will have to go back when everybody is still drinking and having fun (last train!!!) etc. etc.

What did these college girls do to you that you're still in 2 minds??? :P

J.

What did these college girls do to you that you're still in 2 minds??? :P

Hey!!! She wasn't a college girl anymore...she graduated in May, and I was in Interlaken in June.:D

Anyway, I guess you've convinced me. I'll be making a call tomorrow to the Horny Pub in the hopes that they'll have space.

Will

Whats that place just down the road from the horner? The one by the bridge?

Whats that place just down the road from the horner? The one by the bridge?

They Valley Hostel? I'm not sure, since I can't place anything as being right by the bridge. There are several other (more upscale and pricier) hotel options in the valley, as well, and also the campground.

From my experience, the Valley Hostel, the Horner, and the campground have all been pretty jumper friendly. I've packed in all three places (also, for what it's worth, at Balmer's) I don't know about any other places from personal experience, though.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I plan on traveling to the valley the week of 5/7 and have a few questions:

How close is the train station to Horner?

How much jumping activity is there during the week at this time of year?

Horner contact info for making reservations?

Thanks, Marty