Calvin19

Drama and parasports...

so after a lot of moronic posts and threads i feel like bringing this up.

after 2 years of Paragliding, i have seen as much if not more bullshit between groups of pilots as i do between jumper crews.

its crazy... are our egos so big? this is crazy. but there is nothing that will stop it.

I have said before, i will jump and fly with anyone that has the love of the sports that i do

sigh. its amazing...

after 10 years of flying aircraft [gliders and powered, while sailplane pilots are the WORSE i have ever seen yet] pilots are no better... its just a load of bullshit.

its like the sky is so thick with smug and ego [if they can be in a gaseous form] and when we breath it, it is absorbed into our bloodstream and gathers tumors in our brains.

i am guilty, we all are. its just amazing, i wonder if my dad who has been a guitar addict his whole life has noticed anything like this with his guitar freinds... i dont think so though. why is the sky so poisonous?

sigh. i need to go outside and play... ill try to fly in that amazing layer between ground and sky, where it is more dangerous but it just might be away from the smug gas.... .... or maybe thats where it all is... blah.

seems to me you only hang out with people who jump and fly, if you hang out with groups of people who dont like to fly you will probably find they are generally even worse.
thats just fucking people for you.
my hovercraft is full of eels.

Same with watersports.....

Anything with a lot of testosterone floating around.

Get a girlfriend, hang out with chicks more often; i find it tends to balance things out a bit.
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Perhaps it is in part there is a tendancy for certain personality types to be drawn to these activities, and then they are just the most obvious example cause they are the loudest and noticeable... while the rational people and decent people just kinda fade into the background...

You gotta believe most people arent assholes
you want me to do what???

Anything with a lot of testosterone floating around.

Get a girlfriend, hang out with chicks more often; i find it tends to balance things out a bit.

I have a GF, i spend more than half of my OFF time with her. (i would be jedi master not just jedi if i spent the time i spend with her jumping and flying)

funny though,,, at the nice 1000' hill the other day, these grown men were fighting like women. i had so much respect for these Paraglider veterans, but then i see them squableling over the most girlie bullshit in the world. 'you emailed blah blah blah' to everyone' even 'im gonna kick your ass'

i then moved to my small, barely soarable original hill. and played with the crew i started with.

I was in RC aircraft as well for awhile, granted i was between 9 and 14, but i still remember BS then.

sigh... i guess you kids are right though, testosterone sports.

i need to take up guitar again. or camping. wait, camping probably has the same shit.

funny though,,, at the nice reef break the other day, these grown men were fighting like women. i had so much respect for these surfer veterans, but then i see them squableling over the most girlie bullshit in the world. 'you emailed blah blah blah' to everyone' even 'im gonna kick your ass'

i then moved to my local, barely surfable beach break and played with the crew i started with.

2 men or more and even ballet dancing would be a challenge:D

Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

The general name for people involved in the sports that you mentioned (and many more) is 'adrenaline junkie(s)'. Search that in Wikipedia and this is what you get:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrenaline_junkie

I think these words say it all:

"Originally, it was used to describe argumentative people who deliberately (consciously or unconsciously) find excuses to explode in order to get an adrenaline fix. After the adrenaline rush wears off, they become agitated, which causes them to seek another reason to explode to get another fix. This mode of receiving a fix is deemed just as addictive as a recreational drug (such as cocaine), but perhaps more harmful as it negatively involves other people."

J.

Perhaps it is in part there is a tendancy for certain personality types to be drawn to these activities, and then they are just the most obvious example cause they are the loudest and noticeable... while the rational people and decent people just kinda fade into the background...

You gotta believe most people arent assholes

Most people aren't assholes, they're just boring lemmings who live their lives through things like reality TV. But for the rest of so-called no boring types, there is no shortage of egos out there. In the sporting world, in the business communities, at school and in the various religious circles. There's always someone out there trying to better the other guy. There is nothing wrong with being driven and having goals. It's just for most of us, we don't realize what a small fish we are in our big pond.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

well said!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

I'm just guessing you meant aquatic sports... :D

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

I'm just guessing you meant aquatic sports... [Laugh]

If watersports don't get your adrenaline flowing, you're not doing it right!
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

I'm just guessing you meant aquatic sports... [Laugh]

I'll pick you up at eight:P
SabreDave

To each their own, eh?

Although, it seems to be a bit of a non-sequitor the conversation, but given the general trend of non-sequitors and topics that aren't germane to the subject at hand, I thought I'd help clarify, versus to immediately assume our friend was sharing the more intimate details of his life...

Always here to help,

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

I'll pick you up at eight:P

Don't encourage her...

ok so is it a her or a him? or have nate and tj been wanking it to a fake avatar pic all this time :S

Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

Took me a while on that one; I guess I am naive.
I meant water sports as in surfing, windsurfing, and not watersports as in, well....
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

surfing is pretty bad, im no big surfer, but the rivalries in that sport are famous none the less.

in sports like WWF, (sport) the testosterone is, well, expected. if only we had the diction of some of those doped up fuckers.

Ye well "Time to see if your body can cash the checks your mouth has ..."
I would love to get into that but WWE is hectic, you could have a heart attack while brushing your teeth.
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

its like the sky is so thick with smug and ego [if they can be in a gaseous form]

they can, didn't you see that one Southpark episode?
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Perhaps it is in part there is a tendancy for certain personality types to be drawn to these activities,

I wouldn't limit this to risk activities at all. I guarantee you'll find the same feuds on knitting message boards. You're always going to be best friends with like-minded individuals. Having a common interest is far from a guarantee of common ideas.

It can be difficult to accept, at first, that someone who is doing the same thing as you might be doing it for different reasons and have a completely different personality. But that's just how it goes.

and then they are just the most obvious example cause they are the loudest and noticeable... while the rational people and decent people just kinda fade into the background...

So true. I've found this to be the case in all facets of society (and therefore society in general). How many times have you thought, "It's embarrassing to tell people that I (insert any activity here) because of the loudmouths that ruin its image."? There's nowhere to run. The next sports grass isn't greener. Just do what you do for the experience itself and avoid anyone and anything that takes the enjoyment out of it.

I do what I do purely for the personal experience. Some people are driven by competition. Some by fame. None of us can truly say which reason is "right", and we probably shouldn't care. Point is, in anything I do, I've come to accept that there will always be different motives from different individuals -- I'll gravitate towards those who think like me while respecting those who don't. It makes whatever I love to do that much better.

Brother, human beings have a long and obnoxious history of sucking at life. Suprise!

;)

P.S. Art, writing, philosophy, even the non-sporting adrenaline shit's got smug floating around. Politics especially. And hybrid cars. That's why I bought myself a gasmask and a HAZMAT suit. Full-body protection against the worst shitty people can throw at ya.

But really, when you're soaring--not listening to folks squabble on the ground--it's worth it, right? You wouldn't fly if it weren't. Or fall with style, depending on the sport.

i kinda was quoting the SP episode... southpark is as close to magic as TV can get. its all better when something does not care what the man says. damn the man.

-SPACE-

More people do shit to be looked at as cool then to feel good inside. That is the bottom line. It is part of our culture, ingrained into our tiny little heads from early on. Its those that break out of the mold and do things for them and them only that really impress me.

And in reply to "you gotta believe most peiople arent assholes", maybe i'm just getting old and cynical but shit, i honestly cant remember this last time someone just plain saying, "hows it goin" or waving after you let them merge in front of you. That shit seems to have gone the wayside. Maybe I just need to get out and jump more.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

i know a LOT of people who do shit because they love it. and to make them feel good inside.

i dont think i know anyone personaly that does stuff like this to look cool.

I take that back.

i know one asshole moron (not in this forum) who does everything like this for the reason of social benifit. its really sad.