NickDG

Jeb Sued for 12 Million . . .

What's probably worse is Jeb's lawyer called the suit, "an abuse of the legal system and argued the building's operators should be fined."

For the rest of us - it means the next time you get popped downtown - bring your credit card . . . !

NickD :|
BASE 194

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/04/06/america/NA-GEN-US-Empire-State-Building-Stunt.php

Empire State Building Operator Sues Would-Be Parachutist

The Associated Press Published: April 6, 2007

NEW YORK: Empire State Building officials have filed a $12 million (€9 million) lawsuit against a stuntman arrested last year for trying to parachute from the landmark skyscraper's 86th floor.

The lawsuit, filed late Thursday, claims the illegal stunt attempt by Jeb Corliss caused economic loss, damaged the building's reputation as a safe venue and caused injury to security guards who prevented the jump. The lawsuit seeks to bar Corliss from ever entering the building again.

Corliss' lawyer, Mark Heller, said Friday the lawsuit is a public relations move, filed because the skyscraper's officials were embarrassed. He called the suit an abuse of the legal system and argued the building's operators should be fined.

Corliss, now 30, had entered the 102-story building disguised in a mask and a fat suit. Once at the 86th floor observatory, he removed the fat suit, revealing a jump suit and a parachute. He wore a helmet with a camera on top so he could document his jump.

"With his face mask still on, and a black skydiving-type helmet with a camcorder attached to the top, Corliss bolted from the door of the men's restroom on the southwest corner of the building," court papers say.

Security guards caught Corliss and handcuffed him to the security fence. The guards cut off his parachute after he told them his arms would be torn from his body if the wind opened his parachute.

At the time of the April 27, 2006, attempt, between 250 and 350 people were at the observatory, court papers say.

Police charged Corliss with reckless endangerment, a charge that was thrown out by a judge who said Corliss' actions did not rise to the level of reckless endangerment.

Heller said the judge noted that Corliss had planned carefully, studying wind movements and pedestrians and vehicle traffic patterns, and had taken safety precautions to minimize the risk of injury to anyone.

The Empire State Building's lawsuit says Corliss could have killed somebody on the densely populated streets and sidewalks below.

James Connors, the skyscraper's general manager, defended the lawsuit Friday in a written statement.

"The Empire State Building is dealing with Jeb Corliss in strong and harsh terms because it wants to discourage him, or anyone else, from ever again attempting such a dangerous — or possibly deadly — stunt," he said.

Corliss calls himself a professional who has made more than 1,000 BASE jumps from bridges, buildings and cliffs in 16 countries in the past eight years. He has said he likes to swim with sharks for fun.

Before his arrest, Corliss was host of the Discovery Channel show "Stunt Junkies." The network dropped him after his arrest, saying it was disappointed "at his serious lack of judgment and his reckless behavior."

Were 'A's' left out on purpose?
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Only in US people get sued for maounts like that.. I hope they loose then Jeb should go against them by court asking for legal events off the B instead..:D

Jeb,my best whishes that you win this case.
I see no reasson to place a claim at 12mill.$ just to make an example.. much more less could do it.. if any needed,actualy you just proved that by simple tecniqe their security lacks,they should hire you,and prevent teorrists instead..

Keep your head high..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Obviously the Empire State Building was built with no concern whatsoever for public safety. People could be injured or even killed falling off it.

Clearly Jeb's motivation was to point out the deadly flaw in its design.
In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

"RIP Forever Brian Schubert. Always remembered, Never forgotten" - Leroy DB
http://www.johnny

is the :) perminant? i hope not, i liked it. it gave a small note of hope in some posts that are depressing, even the ones directed at my kind of people.

I agree that the retarded US freedom to sue anyone is beyond moronic. jebs lawyer has every right to be annoyed with the operators for trying to sue for -$ 12,000,000 $-, and so do we. this country while 'free' is not free from its inhabitants.

What about the man who just jumped off the ESB commiting sucide only days ago with his severed leg landing on the side walk. It should only be fair that the operator take up a law suit against the family and survivors of this victim. Or maybe he didnt "damage the buildings reputation as a safe venue". Either way it'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

I dont quite understand the part that says the security guards cut his parachute. Does that mean they pulled the cutaway handle or literally cut through the harness?

Jeb is the man, along with Chris, those two are the best out there. I was hoping he could land a wingsuit within a few years. They should be on Stunt Junkies and shows like that more...those guys should both do EL Cap..

Well, I know they let Jeb go, so now that show is a little weak. It's not bad, yet not better...

OK man, time to quite watching youtube and stunt junkies and come back to reality.. You have no idea of the talent out there....

Who are you:D

Are you sincere about all these posts?

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I once asked Jeb to take a new jumper somewhere to flik something and teach him something...he told me he was too busy...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I once asked Jeb to take a new jumper somewhere to flik something and teach him something...he told me he was too busy...

Maybe he was. Ever consider that?

In his bio he says he isnt even a skydiver yet... while i dont want to be too assinine with my assumptions, seems like he is wuffo with a bunch of home movies and a cable connections...

To Jeb, man it sucks all the grief you are getting, but as someone asked in another thread, you had to have expected at least some of this fallout
you want me to do what???

yea...hi probably was busy with his "look at me" program...fuck this gay...:S i hope hi need to pay those 12mill bucks..
"you can`t have a manslaughter without a laughter"

what about the middle eastern dude who went up to the observation deck with an ak-47 and massacred several people a few years ago? a jump pales in comparison to a mass murder (NEXT TO THE SAME OBSERVATION DECK!!!!).
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

i agrea wit most of wat you write eksept teh "mass murder" part;
Ali Abu Kamal killd one dude. 2 if you includ himself.
:D

my place i work

so how abut you do you take ever one the ask you ?
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."

wasn't sure on all the facts. didn't he shoot more than 1 person and himself? seems like past incidents like this would be relevant to Jeb's defense case.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Ye I was kind of joking.
He opened fire with a .380 Berretta hand gun and not a Kalash Nikov; shot 7 and killed one.
As Borat said, I agree with most of what you wrote; Jeb wasn't trying to hurt anyone; seems to have taken the necessary precautions and is probably one of the most experienced for the task.

On a side note, that picture of him looking like an SS officer just freaked me out a bit and I don't think that would help anything.

Edited to add that it is not a good time to be joking about this and there is probably never a good time.
The time money and energy spent on people like Jeb would probably be better spent on making sure the real psychos don't get off doing their thing.
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen