spiccoli

getting a foot in the door (starting in malibu)

Part of the motiviation behind getting into skydiving for me was to serve as a means into the BASE world, a gateway drug if you will. I devote most of my jumps to tracking and canopy skills with base in mind as my future goal. The thing is, I am working to achieve somthing I have never seen first hand. The aspects of the sport that apeal to me are only those Ive read/seen through research (some aspects not so appealing). After reading various articles from Tom, Blinc, ect. and forums, crewing seems to be the only way to get immersed, and is the only thing short of jumping yourself that will tell you if you are persuing the right endevour. I now have only 40 skydives, but it would be nice to be building my perspective and inventory of knowledge of BASE, so that when I get to the point experience wise that I can competantly try it myself, I can make an educated decision on if i need to continue my persuit of BASE. I do not want to sound like one of those kids who gets hyped up from seeing a movie with a base jump on it, then comes on and says "man, that shits tight/hardcore, im gonna try dat shhit" . I am just seeing if anyone can point me in the right direction to getting my foot in the door on a personal level. In other words, I want to make helpful contacts in the real world. If it helps, I just moved to Malibu, and started jumping at Taft. So far, I just get the half smirked head nod and a "thats cool" when Ive hinted at base. I will shoot straight with everyone, I want to be made aware of the risks first hand, and I dont want to put my future at risk due to a blimished record. With school ending, it would be a good time to get some real life perspective on teh sport.

Yikes. That said, tell me if I am being a bit pre-mature here, or if anyone would even take me seriously at my current stage.

viele danke,
shayne
we need to talk about your flare..

40 skydives...more than enough, find your self a B and jump...you find a rig on Ebay..we need to keep NickDG busy here..:|

I dont want to put my future at risk due to a blimished record.

I want to be made aware of the risks first hand

First is death.

...started jumping at Taft.

Go here. Corky is a very experienced BASE jumper and an excellent instructor. If you're a Taft jumper, you probably know him already.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

as you're at a new DZ just hang out, jump and get to know your fellow jumpers. you'll end up meeting some locals you could talk to about BASE. plus people will take you more seriously the better they know you.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Part of the motiviation behind getting into skydiving for me was to serve as a means into the BASE world, a gateway drug if you will. I devote most of my jumps to tracking and canopy skills with base in mind as my future goal.

enjoy the journey.

do NOT focus too hard on the destination. afterall, what happens if you do not like it? you'll think you wasted all that time and energy.

or, from RW:
do NOT focus on the grips. fly your slot and the grips will be there.

enjoy the path. you'll get there when it's time...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

I'm finding myself in the same position. Me too started skydiving partly because it's the first step in the direction of base jumping. I'm still far away from the decision wether to start base jumping or not, but like you I spend 50 percent of my jumps trying to improve my tracking. In addition I got to know a high-skilled jumper at my dropzone who was about to get into base and I started asking him questions about base and he even let me watch him packing a base chute several times. When he did his first jumps he told me all about it.
I kind of enjoy trying to improve skills neccessary for base, but still not having made the ultimate decision.
It's like something very special is waiting out there for me which I can take when I'm ready for it or leave it. It's an option.
The thing about base which I find very appealing is the pureness of the experience in the neature since one usually achieves the altitude with pure body power and going beyond a limit which is originally set for all cratures (going off an edge and living) with the use of human innovation and intelligence (gear and knowing how to use it)
In the End Base is something one has to work very hard for. Many obstacles have to be solved reffering to the must of skill in an unforgiving sport like base.

Greets Erik

In addition I got to know a high-skilled jumper at my dropzone who was about to get into base and I started asking him questions about base and he even let me watch him packing a base chute several times. When he did his first jumps he told me all about it.

Have a question: Do you mean S. O.?

Just go to Lodi.
'Don't let your ambitions get mixed up with your capabilites'

All,

I have cleaned a lot of pointless banter out of this thread. Although I realize that everyone likes to post useless things from time to time, I'd like to keep those posts out of the serious threads discussing technical points or asking for real advice.

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Tom,
Feel free to implode this if need be. I believe I have gotten all the constructive advice I can hope to. Several people have in fact been helpful and dropped me a line. Corky seems to be the general consensus, so I will try to sniff him out when I go to Taft this weekend. Im sure he will be able to point me in the right direction from there.

thanks Tom and everyone else.

shayne
we need to talk about your flare..