MagicGuy

Do BASE Jumpers Want Their Sport to Grow?

Personally, I like to see two things in prospective jumpers:

1. A desire to put as much or more effort into their preparation as I did and do.

2. A compatibility on a social and personality level.

Take the cross-section of those two characteristics, and the number of people that I would be happy about entering the sport shrinks rapidly.

My two cents...

who are you to think everyone should put a specific amount of energy into anything and why do you think you should have to get along with someone or they shouldn't enter BASE.

I said no such thing. I merely stated my own personal preference, and in the context of this conversation about mentorship I don't think the above two requirements are necessarily out of line. Are they?

you try to push your own values, moral, and ethics onto people to much.

Again, I don't see where I do such a thing. But I'm open to having them pointed out to me.

I have never pushed my values, morals and ethics on to you if I recall. I merely made the decision to not jump with you. Although I admit that the way I chose to communicate that to you (i.e., behind your back) was not the most mature I could have chosen, I have never pushed my style of jumping onto you, and have also said that I'll have a beer with you any day of the week.

Perhaps unrelated to the topic at hand, but you must admit that I have, on multiple occasions, commended you on your skydiving skills. You are, by all measures, a better skydiver than I am.

You may also be a better BASE jumper. I won't judge that, and it doesn't matter to me either way. You do, however, jump in a different fashion than I do. And that's fine.

everyone does things for their own reasons and has to accept the outcome. stop thinking there is only one way to do BASE, your way.

One more time, I don't think I've ever set there is only one way. I think some ways are better than others, but I've never forced anybody to take my way.

One may bring up the BASE WIKI, but I'm just throwing the information out there, in a take-it-or-leave-it fashion. People are welcome to ignore it, or interpret it in their own way. I don't see how my contribution to the wealth of information out there should be construed as something negative (except for the total secrecy argument, but surely you can't align yourself with that based on your comment above).

I somehow feel this post has gone more personal than is ideal, and I apologize for that. However, your post made particular statements about my dealings with other people in the sport that I don't think I'm guilty off. There are multiple jumpers in my local scene who practice the sport in ways that I don't. That's fine, they can do their thing, I can do mine.

open your mind BASE is not as hard as you think to walk into and be competent at. keeping yourself and your attitude in check is what is the hard part.

you try to push your own values, moral, and ethics onto people too much.

everyone does things for their own reasons and has to accept the outcome. stop thinking there is only one way to do BASE, your way.

Well said, thanks for those posts. Those are important points that are some of the first to be forgotten these days, from my firsthand experience.

well said?
really?

the topic was about mentoring new jumpers. the job of a mentor is to influence their charge, to make sure a novice grows and develops into a safe jumper. that typically means getting the newbie to adopt the morals, values, and ethics you endorse.

if the potential new jumper has an attitude that conflicts with the potential mentor, the mentor should not accept the newbie as an "apprentice."

the comments start making sense if you refer to them out of context. by that I mean BASE in general. as discussed previously, different jumpers have different styles. we need to tolerate those as much as possible. (that does NOT mean accepting ALL behavior.)

i.e.
yes, as a group we should remain inclusive.
no, as individuals we should choose to limit with whom we jump. thus a novice who expects a local to mentor him must sell the idea to the local. novices who EXPECT to be mentored think too highly of themselves.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

***In BASE, it's simply not possible to pay someone money to pack for you, to take care of your equipment, to rent you gear for every jump, to hold your hand every time. The barrier to entry is much higher, and not everyone is going to pass that barrier. It's not just a matter of having the time and money, but of having the brains. [That's certainly one of the draws for me. It's a huge challenge that I know most people can't meet.]

Sorry but I'll have to disagree with you on this. I have met people who cannot even pack their own BASE gear and who rely on others to 'make it safe' for them. These are people with more money than brains... and it isn't saying that they are rich, maybe they just don't have much in the brain catagory.
It's actually quite scary when you meet these types because you know that it's only a matter of time before they really get injured from a jump.
One person that comes to mind took a FJC but must not have paid attention AT ALL. They showed absolutly no knowledge of BASE or of the dangers associated with it. Shit they didn't even know how to dry a wet canopy[:/]

Unfortunate but true....

Shit they didn't even know how to dry a wet canopy[:/]

WHAT!? They didn't know how to attach the risers to the bumper of their car and drive down the road? idiots...
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

WHAT!? They didn't know how to attach the risers to the bumper of their car and drive down the road? idiots...

i know thats what i do. only my squares though, the rounds drag to much and get muddy.

i know thats what i do. only my squares though, the rounds drag to much and get muddy.

you can tie off the risers of the rounds on the tail of your plane. use a grass strip, NO MUD! :P

yes.

numbers=legitamacy
legitamcy=legality
legality=no more "boo hoo my sport is changing"

this sport belongs to no one.

you can tie off the risers of the rounds on the tail of your plane. use a grass strip, NO MUD! :P

my plane was to small, it slowed it down to much. we used a drouge instead. worked great verticle dive 120mph.

More importantly, to me, is the level of commitment it shows if somebody is willing to do an FJC

You mean a weeks vacation and a credit card?

Used to be making friends, becoming a trusted individual, months of ground crewing, finding and having gear modified, and learning how to rig it.

Definate improvement.:S
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Yeah, but as I keep getting told, "skydiving is easy".

Falling out of a plane is easy. Becoming a skydiver is not.

Falling of a bridge is easy. Becoming a BASE jumper is not.

Looks like the "tourists" have forund a new thrill.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

More importantly, to me, is the level of commitment it shows if somebody is willing to do an FJC

You mean a weeks vacation and a credit card?

Used to be making friends, becoming a trusted individual, months of ground crewing, finding and having gear modified, and learning how to rig it.

Definate improvement.:S

Come on, that's not fair. You know the latter is obviously better. But an FJC is still better than taking them to your local span twice and them getting impatient and starting to huck the local cliff.

In my opinion, credit-card or not.