chileanXaos

Skyhook for Base jumping??

Hello ,, this is just an idea I have , since I saw the video of the skyhook system , it deploys the reserve so fast I thought it could be used for base jumping??

would be nice doing base with a second chance
just wanted to share my idea or see if someone is using it .

how funny.:)
marta and jimmy had a 2 canopy container system called the sorcerer out before skyhook. that worked on the same principal.

I think the skyhook kinda riped off marta and jimmy's vertigo sorcerer.

but maybe i'm wrong?

later

NPS SUX ASS

ScaryPerry used a skyhook to do an intentional cutaway at Bridge Day, I think it was 2 years ago.

Sure, it would work. But would you pack the reserve slider up or down? And how much complexity do you want to add to your BASE system? There are reasons that the Sorcerer was never adopted as the BASE standard. Given that a BASE specific two canopy system never really took off, why would you want to adapt a skydiving system?

Try turning the question on it's head: Why do you want a reserve on a BASE jump? Can you think of a whole lot of BASE accidents that would have been helped by a reserve deployment?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I have a friend that jumps a Sorcerer. He told me a story that it saved his life once. Jumping a big terminal A, his canopy ripped or lines snapped or something. He cutaway at 170' (according to a dish on the A) and the reserve was flying like 30' later. I think he still jumping that container.
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

I have a friend that jumps a Sorcerer. He told me a story that it saved his life once. Jumping a big terminal A, his canopy ripped or lines snapped or something. He cutaway at 170' (according to a dish on the A) and the reserve was flying like 30' later. I think he still jumping that container.

Next time he tells that story, ask him if the slider on the reserve was up or down.

If he says "down," then ask him why he took a slider down reserve on a terminal jump.

If he says "up," ask him how he got a slider up canopy to land him when he deployed it from 170', then copy whatever he says and start making canopies, because you're going to make a fortune.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

yea, we where "beer talking";)
But now im curious too. I wont wait till he tells the story again. Ill ask him this weekend.

-Someone asked what was the canopy
-U wanna know how the reserve was packed
-I wanna know when was this and all the altitudes

HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Next time he tells that story, ask him if the slider on the reserve was up or down.

If he says "down," then ask him why he took a slider down reserve on a terminal jump.

A total malfunction on a properly packed and maintained BASE rig is a lot more improbable than a line over or tension knots. If I had a Sorcerer I'd leave the reserve packed slider down even though I've been a high-pulling weenie on all 29 of my slider-up jumps.

People with planned deployment altitudes too low to identify and deal with a high-speed malfunction (which a 170' cutaway after being under canopy suggests) would have even more reason to leave their Sorcerer reserve packed slider down.

The question is purely hypothetical for me because I trust single canopy rigs enough, have more fun with my two tarps in separate rigs than one, and don't want to spend that much on a toy for the rare ocassional intentional cutaway.

OTOH, compared to the costs of international travel and Jet Ranger hours even a brand new Sorcerer would be a bargain.....

I gotta finish my work and GO HOME.

I may be way off on this but it is the way I remember it. So hopefully Jimmy or Marta will jump in here to tell the story.

I think Marta used to work at RWS. She was around when Bill Booth first started his testing of the sky hook way back when. Marta in turn applied the concept to one of her designs. This was long before Jimmy was around and vertigo was based out of Deland.

Matt Davies

If he says "up," ask him how he got a slider up canopy to land him when he deployed it from 170', then copy whatever he says and start making canopies, because you're going to make a fortune.

it was packed slider halfway up, dur ;-)

he used one of those sliders thats made out of that ballistic material... the stuff that gets stronger under quick pressure.

that way if it was a fast opening, it stayed together and acted like a slider... if his airspeed was low, it just fell apart ;)

Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

By the way, i think that's going to be the flagship product for my new company, Ghetto Rigging(R) :)
That and the scissor-cut bridge day sliders.

Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

he used one of those sliders thats made out of that ballistic material... the stuff that gets stronger under quick pressure.

that way if it was a fast opening, it stayed together and acted like a slider... if his airspeed was low, it just fell apart ;)

was just an idea , anyway i would leave the reserve slider down .

Next time he tells that story, ask him if the slider on the reserve was up or down

I thought I read somewhere that the Sorcerer requires that the main canopy be out before the reserve can come out. Isn't the main packed on top the reserve canopy? If it's true, and the main is already out, then I'd probably always pack the reserve slider off.

But also if that's true, then the two canopy system doesn't do much to protect from PC in tow or hard pulls.

I've never seen one in real life or in pictures really, just a few fun-a-way videos.

Can the Sorcerer reserve be deployed without first deploying the main?

It's time now! My time now! Give me mine. Give me my wings! - MJK

I thought I read somewhere that the Sorcerer requires that the main canopy be out before the reserve can come out. Isn't the main packed on top the reserve canopy?

No. It's a conventional piggyback configuration like a modern skydiving rig. Extracting the reserve pull-out pilot chute disconnects the RSL thus allowing it to be deployed following a main total malfunction.

Can the Sorcerer reserve be deployed without first deploying the main?

Yes.

There were 2 versions, a pull-out and a throw-out. The handle of either sat on top of you left shoulder.
take care,
space

damnit deadman, i thought they made a place for new school losers like you to play! that new forum or whatever?

Go outside and jump or hike around you nerds...

sigh... sniffle*

i made you a 2 canopy rig bitch. go jump it or something. you know its safe.

well SORRY mr whinypants.

next time ill puy 2 super small daggers in it. that should shave a few pounds off.

-SPACE-

also, dude, no one takes you seriously, you only have like, 50 posts. i have 1600. everyone knows that i am smart and i know what i am talking about because i post here so much. i am the smartest kid here. well, i guess tom has like 10,000 posts. oh well.

you can talk to me when you have 1000 posts, ok?

check out the left riser in the attachment. you can see the thingy that pulls out the reserve...

::::break::::

looks like a un-disconectable rsl.

does anybody knows if its directly connected to a reserve dbag like skyhook? or does it pull a pin and its spring loaded like rsl?

dont feel like waiting till saturday for more knowledge. thanks.

edit: bad attachment
HISPA #93
DS #419.5